PDA

View Full Version : Folding the nut flush draw

Homer
05-02-2003, 06:45 PM
UB 5/10

I'm dealt As 7s UTG+1. UTG, MP, LP and I limp (and BB checks). Five to the flop for 5 sb's.

I have UTG pegged as tight-passive. I have seen him fold preflop to a raise after already having put one bet in. He calls down with top-pair decent kicker, never bothering to raise.

BB is a bit overaggressive, but not a full-fledged maniac.

Flop - Js 8s Jh

Checked to me, I bet, MP calls, BB calls, UTG (check)raises, I call, MP folds, BB (check)three-bets, UTG caps and I call. Three to the turn for 9 bb's.

Turn - 9c

BB bets, UTG raises, I fold.

They proceeded to cap the turn and river. BB showed JT and UTG showed J5. Trips took it down. I'd say they overplayed their hands just a tad (and no, a spade didn't come on the river, so that isn't just me being bitter).

Anyhoo, where do you fold your nut flush draw? Do you make it to the turn at least? Do you coldcall the turn and hope it isn't reraised?

-- Homer

Net Warrior
05-02-2003, 07:08 PM
No wonder UTG folds to a raise after calling preflop when he brings in junk like J5. If he's passive, then I'd put him on a J with his check-raise here. When BB 3 bets and UTG caps, I'm out of there. I'm not drawing (possibly already drawing dead) against two players at war.

Robk
05-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Good fold. Even if you aren't beat already you only have 6 outs.

Mike Gallo
05-02-2003, 07:36 PM
Homer,

I would have laid it down also. I would have expected to see pocket 8's for a boat the way the hand got played. I also would put someone on a Jack and drawing to the boat.

Anyhoo, where do you fold your nut flush draw?

With all that action and paired board I would also fold, unless both players have the capability to make a move like that to make a better hand fold. You have to put one of them on a big hand.

Do you coldcall the turn and hope it isn't reraised?

Usually not. Against some players I might even reraise. All player dependent. Some could easily have had a flush draw.

Good lay down /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

mikeca
05-02-2003, 07:45 PM
I think this is a good fold. With the board pair and two players going to war, there is a good chance you are drawing dead, especially when one of the players is "tight, passive". If one is on trips and the other on a flush draw on the turn, your clean outs are still significantly reduced. Muck it here.

bernie
05-02-2003, 08:50 PM
can be a tough fold. but as other posters said, your outs are reduced and your paying alot here. i didnt get the feel that either of them had a FH on the flop. the turn, maybe with the 9. maybe.

interesting hand though

the real fun folds are the nut flush draws without the paired board. and ive only done that once in my career so far.

b

elysium
05-02-2003, 09:18 PM
hi holm
looks like a good fold to me. you're likely down to 6 or less outs and will be raised and reraised again. the calls on the flop look good as well.