PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between Printers

oscark
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
So, I need to buy a reasonably cheap printer. Because of where I am, my choices appear to be between the HP Business Inkjet 1000 and the HP LaserJet 1020.

My basic question is how large will the difference in cost per sheet printed be? I know LaserJets tend to be much cheaper than InkJets, but the 1000 is supposed to be quite efficient ( HP 1000 Price Per Sheet (http://www.spencerlab.com/SpencerLab_HP1000-Sam1740US.pdf) )

Anyone know what the comparison in costs to print will be like? If the HP 1000 is only a little more expensive, I would purchase that for the ability to print in color.

Thanks,

Oscar

09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
FWIW, my personal experience with inkjets has been disappointing. The output is expensive. The speed is snail's pace. The quality is lacking. Even on expensive, coated paper.

If you need/want black only, there is no comparison between laser and ink. It's laser - hands down.

If you only occasionally need color, take or e-mail the file to a local copy shop that uses high-quality laser color printers. The price they charge is usually reasonable, the output quality of their equipment will surpass anything you do at home, and most will adjust the color, once, at no charge.

MrBrightside
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Oh, man, we ditched our color inkjet several years ago, picked up a cheap samsung laser. My wife does a lot of printing for her contract stuff, so the lower price per sheet really pays off in the long run. And it's such less hassle. Inkjet was always jamming, messing up, etc. Laser "just works". We don't miss color. For photos, we go take the disk to the drugstore for .25 cents, get beautiful photos.

MrBrightside
09-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Also, I forgot to mention: quiet! we have a tiny little "office" and the inkjet was just nasty loud. The laser purrs.