PDA

View Full Version : Misread hand problems?

01-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Long story short:

Omaha Hi-Lo game last night. One guy all in. Two others see the river and show down. When it gets to all in guy's turn to flip, he disgustedly flips over his hand and walks off.

Turns out he had the straight for a win of half the pot. I thought I saw it before the dealer scooped them into the muck. I turned to players next to me

"Did he just..."

"Yes, he did."

The guy comes back 1 minute later with more chips. No one says anything because no one wants to rile up even more a man this angry, create a scene and delay the game.

The question is: HAD we told him, what happens?

I would assume nothing as the hand is over, the pot's been pushed, and the cards are well in the muck. But still, I'm curious.

01-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Dan,

By "flips over his hand" I assume you mean he turned it over face up in such a way that it could be read even though he personally overlooked his hand. The dealer probably took his disgust as a sign of abandonment, and didn't bother to read the hand.

Even if he walked off after turning over the hand face up and spreading it, if someone pointed out the hand was a winner, and it could be clearly identified as so, then he is entitled to the money.

I'm still a little confused about your question but I'll take a chance and post this anyway.

Regards,

Rick

01-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Rick,

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. Yes, he turned his cards face up. They actually spread themselves halfway across the table because he threw them face up rather than just lay them down or muck them.

Then he walked off, what I assumed to be a "for good" walk off rather than just going to get more chips.

The cards lay face up for everyone to see for about 3-5 seconds. The dealer looked at them, missed the straight, and mucked them.

By the time he came back, we were getting ready to deal the next hand. I figured that if we told him, then either

1) He could get his rightful money, but it would require an agreement from the person who got pushed the pot or a trip up to the camera room to verify (a major delay in the game).

2) He couldn't get his rightful money and he'd be even more upset than before. I didn't feel like having the guy on my left on tilt.

So call me selfish. Call the table selfish. I guess we just assumed that ignorance is bliss in this instance.

01-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Dan,

I don't think you are selfish in this spot. The guy is being an a-hole for throwing cards, and it is clear he thought he lost.

You are right that bringing it up after the cards are mucked would have delayed the game. However, if you could have stopped the hand from being mucked and had it read correctly, it would have gained you a friend for life (and one who is sitting on your left!). But relying on the camera or a couple of opinions would just cause the problems you mention.

Regards,

Rick

01-23-2002, 08:30 PM
Obviously, dude in question is a jerk.

If I'm the dealer, I'm not gonna be too quick to give this guy half a pot if he's gonna throw the cards at me.

Hey, if the rest of the table can be selfish, then so can I.

Two rules apply here:

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND. You may make one friend, but you'll make many more enemies.

PLAYER IS RESPONSIBLE TO PROTECT HIS OWN HAND. This one speaks for itself.

Bobby

(I love hearing stories like this when it happens to a jerk.)