PDA

View Full Version : Jumping into a pool of Jello...

LotsOfOuts69
09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
OK, inspired by the rebirth of the 5 year olds discussion, this is an arguement that me and my friends have had for the last 10+ years.

Here's the situation, lets say you jumped off a diving board into a pool full of jello. Assume a large pool with about 10 feet of depth. The jello is solid, not cubed.

Would you survive?? We have had arguements over thought of would you even break into the jello, would you get suspended in mid pool and be unable to move. Could you climb out if you were suspended midway down. Would the jello close up above you and suffocate you? Could you get to the side of the pool and climb out that way.

Anyway, don't know if this will catch on, but its open for discussion...

istewart
09-14-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my friends have had for the last 10+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

All summa cum laude at Harvard, I'm guessing?

NLSoldier
09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
there is no way in hell that you wouldnt survive.

Thythe
09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure...how would you get out? Jello brings thoughts of quick sand to mind.

The Armchair
09-14-2005, 08:48 PM
CHOOSE YOUR SNARKY RESPONSE

<ul type="square"> You should definitely try this and report back (assuming you can). If it's lime jello, you'll live. Cherry, no way. If there are fruits suspended, it's 50/50, unless it's kiwi, which would make it 100% survival rate. YSSCKY, and that's not a bad way to go.
[/list]

Dynasty
09-14-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure...how would you get out? Jello brings thoughts of quick sand to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd survive the jump. But, the chance of being smothered and suffocated seem very high in a ten-foot pool.

chuddo
09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
i used to think about this a lot when i was a kid.

i also have wondered about:
pool full of pudding
-full of shipping peanuts
-full of whip cream
-full of cotton candy

MINETZ
09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
I actually disagree, I'm 6/8 300 and if i jumped off a diving board into a 10 foot pool of jello, im pretty sure id go straihgt to the bottom and probably hurt myself, and on top of that get completely immersed in jello and suffocated to death.

ghostface
09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Eat your way out. If it was a big jello shot I would love to die trying.

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
I think the more interesting question is if ou diplaced your weight (via laying down, etc) would it be able to hold you or would you sink?

Brain
09-14-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

pool full of pudding
-full of shipping peanuts
-full of whip cream
-full of cotton candy

[/ QUOTE ]

Go read the Sept. GQ (Tom Brady cover) article entitled "The Best Twelve Years of His Life". A similar thought was almost realized.

TheIrishThug
the issue is def being if one would be able to get out once submerged. i'm fairly certian that given a decent jump of a diving board, u r def getting in there. u'd have to be pretty big and get a very good jump to hit the bottom.

my theory is that u survive the jump with ease, but then r soffocated by the jello or die from exahustion when trying to free urself.

Brain
[ QUOTE ]
I actually disagree, I'm 6/8 300 and if i jumped off a diving board into a 10 foot pool of jello, im pretty sure id go straihgt to the bottom and probably hurt myself, and on top of that get completely immersed in jello and suffocated to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about not going in headfirst?

Lazymeatball
09-14-2005, 09:30 PM
How does the density of jello compare with water?

MINETZ
09-14-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think theres a good way to fall, if u fall on ur legs they break and no chance of getting out

Sponger15SB
09-14-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think theres a good way to fall, if u fall on ur legs they break and no chance of getting out

[/ QUOTE ]

You're legs would break? What is the pool 30 feet deep?

jacki
09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

pool full of pudding DIE
-full of shipping peanuts LIVE
-full of whip cream DIE
-full of cotton candy LIVE

[/ QUOTE ]

Ringo_Mojo
09-14-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the density of jello compare with water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you've ever made it, its like 99% water so i'm going to say its pretty close. That would lead me to belive that you could more or less swim through it, and shouldn't have a problem getting to the top and staying there.

People thinking it would be like quicksand watch too many bad/old movies.

As for the other items mentioned. Packing peanuts would be easy to get out of. But Cotton Candy and whipped cream (both being mostly air) would not offer enough resistance and you would most likely drop straight to the bottom of the pool and injure yourself.

Brain
09-14-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a shot and report back. Or don't, if you're dead.

Slow Play Ray
09-14-2005, 10:45 PM
I think if you go in feet first, you should be able to claw/tread your way out. If you go in head first, you might have a bit of a problem.

theghost
09-14-2005, 10:47 PM
try it with a pet

-Skeme-
09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Someone should send this to MythBusters or something. Tell them you have a friend, who knows a friend, who's doctor died doing this on some Japanese gameshow.

chuddo
09-14-2005, 10:51 PM
i sent this in to mythbusters, along with some of the others i suggested.

i never got even a courtesy reply so i am not sure if it was received.

i think it would be entertaining.

-Skeme-
09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
They probably receive lots of subjects to talk about. I think at best you'll receive some C&amp;P response.

Ogre
09-14-2005, 10:55 PM
try it with a bathtub first and you will be able to predict the results

KungFuSandwich
09-15-2005, 12:13 AM
You could swim/tunnel out. If anything it would be more dense than water, so you could "float" on it. but im no expert, why dont you ask BisonBison

PoBoy321
09-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Why don't you just eat it all? I mean, granted, it's a lot of jello, but you can eat and eat and eat and what do you know? There's always room for jello.

bravos1
09-15-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if you go in feet first, you should be able to claw/tread your way out. If you go in head first, you might have a bit of a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Head first may be the way to go. Once you hit the jello you could arch your back and shallow dive it. From there it should be easy to claw your way to the top.

You could also take a big wiz in it.... the heat would help disolve the jello into a more liquid form and you could "swim" out, but you would be swimming in your own jello flavored piss! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

PoBoy321
09-15-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You could also take a big wiz in it.... the heat would help disolve the jello into a more liquid form and you could "swim" out, but you would be swimming in your own jello flavored piss! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be piss flavored jello?

bravos1
09-15-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
does it matter?? Still tastes like piss! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

GuyOnTilt
09-15-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There is a crucial distinction. You must choose one or the other.

GoT

bravos1
09-15-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go with piss flavored jello then since it implies less piss.

GuyOnTilt
09-15-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go with piss flavored jello then since it implies less piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less piss, yes, but more piss FLAVOR...

GoT

Luzion
09-15-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just eat it all? I mean, granted, it's a lot of jello, but you can eat and eat and eat and what do you know? There's always room for jello.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh... I dont know anyone that can even eat a cubic foot of jello, let alone a pool filled with jello. You have to remember that jello is basically water.

LotsOfOuts69
09-15-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought also, but surprisingy, only me and one of my friends feel this way. 6 other people, plus almost everyone we tell this too says you would die.