PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

dhaimon
09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I can't believe you guys haven't started a thread on this yet. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Don't know if I want to comment very much, because I don't want to spoil the fun, however I can say that it features all the party members from the game, materia, etc.

If you played and loved FF7, you MUST see this movie. Just awesome, that is all.

ps. Sephiroth owns.

Phoenix1010
09-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Lawrence Ng started one but it got buried. I finally got to see it last night. It's freaking spectacular. It blew me away. I forgot how much I loved that game/ those characters. The movie is a wonderful complement to the greatest game of all time.

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I didn't even realize it was out already. Thanks for the heads up.

dhaimon
09-14-2005, 08:11 PM
oh. i searched but nothing popped up /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Luzion
09-14-2005, 08:11 PM
I finished watching it last night. The animation was awesome. The plot/storyline did not seem to flow very well, but they packed in a lot of action and cameos in those 100minutes. Plenty of fan service. They couldve done a better job with the music that they remixed from the original game too. It was good though with the amount of the time they had to make a sequel for a game that was 30-60hours.

Did you guys get a little teary at the final scene with those "two characters"? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Phoenix1010
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't even realize it was out already. Thanks for the heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not out until the end of November.

dhaimon
09-14-2005, 08:15 PM
I almost cried several times during the film, because of how well made the characters and some parts of the movie were. It blew my mind /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I almost cried several times during the film, because of how well made the characters and some parts of the movie were. It blew my mind /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I wasn't going admit this... But I almost shed one at a few different points. The action scenes ruled, but some of the more touching parts were really well done too, especially the end.

Luzion
09-14-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I wasn't going admit this... But I almost shed one at a few different points. The action scenes ruled, but some of the more touching parts were really well done too, especially the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... you pussies... I admit the ending was.... touching.

Anyway, I do have some problems with the movie. There are a bunch of things they do not go over or bother to explain. I dont wanna ask out loud here though because of spoiler issues.

Phoenix1010
09-14-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a bunch of things they do not go over or bother to explain. I dont wanna ask out loud here though because of spoiler issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a problem. But then again, it's a problem that a lot of people had with the actual game (even I'm still not completely clear on some parts of the main story). It leaves a lot of it open to interpretation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It also leaves the door open for the blank spots in the story to be filled in later by more games/movies, which is definitely not a bad thing.

My question: Late in the movie Barret tells Denzel to protect his mother (according to the subtitle). Is this a mistranslation, or is there a loose definition of mother in Japan or...? I thought Denzel was just a random orphan.

Luzion
09-14-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are a bunch of things they do not go over or bother to explain. I dont wanna ask out loud here though because of spoiler issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a problem. But then again, it's a problem that a lot of people had with the actual game (even I'm still not completely clear on some parts of the main story). It leaves a lot of it open to interpretation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It also leaves the door open for the blank spots in the story to be filled in later by more games/movies, which is definitely not a bad thing.

My question: Late in the movie Barret tells Denzel to protect his mother (according to the subtitle). Is this a mistranslation, or is there a loose definition of mother in Japan or...? I thought Denzel was just a random orphan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he calls Tifa mother because she takes care of him. Its the same way as Marlene is Barret's "daughter." Not literally of course, because Barret is a black dood and Marlene is a white little girl, but because Barret takes care of Marlene after the real father Dyne (aka his best friend with the other gun arm that lives under the Golden Saucer) told him to in the original game.

dhaimon
09-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Long time since I've played the game, but whos that guy who waves at him when Cloud is looking towards the exit of the church at very last scene of the movie?

wow that was a bad sentence.

pokerdirty
09-14-2005, 09:58 PM
from today's joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000057058851/)

nerds.

Phoenix1010
09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Long time since I've played the game, but whos that guy who waves at him when Cloud is looking towards the exit of the church at very last scene of the movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zak. Cloud's friend from SOLDIER. Cloud was delusional, and thought that he had lived Zak's life until near the end of the game where he realizes that he was never in SOLDIER.

dhaimon
09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never mind, I figured it out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
09-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Just thought I'd point this out, as I didn't notice it the first few times through. All of the original characters are wearing red ribbons on their left arms (except Vincent who has his on his right arm, and Nanaki who I haven't confirmed has one, even the Cait Sith doll has one). That's what Marlene is talking about when she asks Vincent if he has it, I didn't quite understand that part the first time through. I assume it's worn in memory of Aeris, but I suppose it could have some other significance.

tomdemaine
09-15-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just thought I'd point this out, as I didn't notice it the first few times through. All of the original characters are wearing red ribbons on their left arms (except Vincent who has his on his right arm, and Nanaki who I haven't confirmed has one, even the Cait Sith doll has one). That's what Marlene is talking about when she asks Vincent if he has it, I didn't quite understand that part the first time through. I assume it's worn in memory of Aeris, but I suppose it could have some other significance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Protects against status effects /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
09-15-2005, 02:00 AM
I loled like the geek I am.

Luzion
09-15-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I loled like the geek I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... they must have been morphing Master Tonberry over and over in the Crater to get Ribbons for everyone. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

handsome
09-15-2005, 03:22 AM
I didn't like the movie. TOO SLOW. The action was decent, but I couldn't stand the fact that none of the villains could land a shot on Cloud.. it was like a Chow Yun Fat movie in CG. This, and the backwards motorcycle drifting and gravity-defying movements = TOO UNREALISTIC, for me at least. Also, too many japanese culture characteristics. The villains were feminine and long-haired - this is huge in Japan, but I think it's gay and don't like it.

What was up with the whole Geostigma thing? I don't remember that being in the game. And wtf was the deal with Cloud? Every time he went off daydreaming, he'd get all horny over Aeris, when he was going out with the semi-hot Tifa.. un-brilliant, IMO.

One thumb up, for the only decent scene where his friends come and help him defeat the Bahamut (I loved Yuffie, btw).