PDA

View Full Version : DVDs by Director

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Each month I set a goal for hours to play and if I reach it, I reward myself with some money to spend on Amazon.

I am increasing my DVD collection and have been considering purchasing all the works by specific directors.

At the moment I am considering:
-QT (Only one movie away)
-Scorsese (he has a ton, but I think it would be cool to have all his work)
-PTA
-Wes Anderson

Any other suggestions? It is tough because someone like Spielberg has too many movies that I would just not want to own. I know I am probably missing a ton of potential here...

IronDragon1
09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I dunno..Oliver Stone?

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Jean Renoir? Probably not, but Rules of the Game and The Grand Illusion are excellent films. Excellent is an understatement.

I think Kurosawa has a strong catalog all around.

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was actually just looking at his filmography on imdb. I know he is considered a genius, and I believe I would appreciate most of his work, but his catalogue is HUGE. I may have to do a little renting before I commit to him.

kipin
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Stanley Kubrick
Alfred Hitchcock
Roman Polanski

Dominic
09-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Kieslowski
John Huston - although an expensive proposition.
Atom Egoyan

Blarg
09-14-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jean Renoir? Probably not, but Rules of the Game and The Grand Illusion are excellent films. Excellent is an understatement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen many of his films, and LOVE The Grand Illusion, and Boudu Saved from Drowning is one of my favorite films. It's finally been released on DVD, too!

I'm also a big fan of La Bete Humaine, with Jean Gabin, a noir he did. Later remade as Human Desire, with Glenn Ford.

kipin
09-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Forgot to include the Coen Brothers: Ethan and Joel. Responsible for such masterpieces as Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou? et. al.

Blarg
09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Each month I set a goal for hours to play and if I reach it, I reward myself with some money to spend on Amazon.

I am increasing my DVD collection and have been considering purchasing all the works by specific directors.

At the moment I am considering:
-PTA
-Wes Anderson

Any other suggestions? It is tough because someone like Spielberg has too many movies that I would just not want to own. I know I am probably missing a ton of potential here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Miyazaki -- consistently excellent anime, not a huge catalogue(at least in America)
Hitchcock -- huge catalog, but not many are not worth watching at least two ro three times. I've probably seen Rear Window two dozen times, etc.
Sergio Leone -- those spagheti westerns are great stuff, and Once Upon a Time in America is pretty cool too
Kurosawa -- big catalogue, but wow, watchable and fun stuff
James Whale -- great early horror stuff, small catalog, endlessly rewatchable
Herzog -- not to most people's tastes, but he grew on me something fierce

Hard to think of guys with small catalogs that are by and large uncluttered with misfires! Haven't been very successful, it seems.

istewart
09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? Hopefully you have Jackie Brown. I love that movie for some reason, even though it's pretty meh.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might as well just get the complete De Niro collection. It's the same thing.

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley Kubrick
Alfred Hitchcock
Roman Polanski

[/ QUOTE ]

Three good recs. I really like the Kubrick suggestion although I passionately despise Eyees Wide Shut.

Dominic:
Awesome suggestions. Those have some really cool long term project potential. I hope the DVD isn't going anywhere for a while /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brainwalter
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Get Chris Nolan after Batman comes out.

Note: this must include Following.

09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Francis Ford Coppola
George A. Romero
Milos Forman
Sidney Lumet

RunDownHouse
09-14-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to include the Coen Brothers: Ethan and Joel. Responsible for such masterpieces as Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou? et. al.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another vote for Coen brothers.

diebitter
09-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Antony Mann
Kubrick
Terry Gilliam
Ridley Scott
Tony Scott
Terrence Fisher
Rob Reiner
Sam Raimi
Frank Darabont
James Whale

BradleyT
09-15-2005, 01:50 AM
Dominic

09-15-2005, 01:54 AM
John Ford. Another big collection, but some of the best movies ever, i.e. The Searchers, The Quiet Man.

CrazyPsycho
09-15-2005, 02:03 AM
David Gordon Green
Mel Brooks?

These are also good from earlier posts:
Gilliam
Coen's
Ridley Scott

KDawgCometh
09-15-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was actually just looking at his filmography on imdb. I know he is considered a genius, and I believe I would appreciate most of his work, but his catalogue is HUGE. I may have to do a little renting before I commit to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big kurosawa fan. I'd recomend Seven Samurai, Yojimbo(godd the bad and the ugly was based off of it), Ran, Kagemusha, and Dreams, that should get you a good start

KDawgCometh
09-15-2005, 02:13 AM
i'd also like to recomend Fracois Traffuelt, he is THE french new wave director from the late 60s and early 70s

Of the new directors, I'm a big fan of David O Russell and Jim Jarmusch

pryor15
09-15-2005, 02:15 AM
linklater
K. Kieslowski
Bergman

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Orson Welles (classic)
Jean Renoir (uber classic)
Charles Laughton (he only has 1 but it's awesome "NIght of the Hunter")
Coen Brothers (I'm on my way...)

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just posted Renoir without looking at your post. I haven't seen anything of his besides Rules of the Game and Grand Illusion. I've always meant to see some others...
Kurosowa is another 2 filmer for me; Seven Samurai and Rashomon of course /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd also like to recomend Fracois Traffuelt, he is THE french new wave director from the late 60s and early 70s

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll pardon your misspelling of Francois Truffaut because Jules et Jim is one of my all time favorite movies. And the 400 Blows was quite good.

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Another vote for Coen brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hear hear! Barton Fink baby..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KDawgCometh
09-15-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll pardon your misspelling of Francois Truffaut because Jules et Jim is one of my all time favorite movies. And the 400 Blows was quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized the misspelling when it was too late to edit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized the misspelling when it was too late to edit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smile.gif We all get retarded fingers now and then.

Blarg
09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big kurosawa fan. I'd recomend Seven Samurai, Yojimbo(godd the bad and the ugly was based off of it), Ran, Kagemusha, and Dreams, that should get you a good start

[/ QUOTE ]

Love Kurosawa, hated Ran, big time. With a passion. Found it incredibly slow and dull, and I'm a guy who often really loves slow films.

I'll take Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, and lots more instead.

whiskeytown
09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
In my heart of hearts, I believe I would like a complete set of the works of Akira Kurosawa. I'd go that route -

RB

captZEEbo1
09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I really like Eric Roehmer (Boyfriends and Girlfriends, My Night at Mauds, Claire's Knees), and I'd like to own his whole collection someday, BUT Kubrick is a must own

imported_The Vibesman
09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
The Coens and Sergio Leone have been mentioned.

Walter Hill if you like action movies at all.
John Ford's a great choice.
Robert Rodriguez, but then you'd have the "SpyKids" series...

ChipWrecked
09-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Billy Wilder.

Howard Hawks.

Paluka
09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Love Kurosawa, hated Ran, big time. With a passion. Found it incredibly slow and dull, and I'm a guy who often really loves slow films.

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Is Ran his take on King Lear, or am I thinking of something else?

Blarg
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeah, that's it. Friggin long and slow as hell.

And I'm serious about often liking long and slow, as long as it's good.

This one didn't do it for me. And I saw it like six times, seriously. Trying to like it, that's how much of a film nut I am. No go.

WDC
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd say kevin Smith except for Jersey Girl

Blarg
09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Mall Rats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back did a lot to wipe out the goodwill he earned with Clerks.

jba
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
David Mamet
David Lynch
Coen brothas

ethan
09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it. It's not where I'd start were I just encountering Kurosawa, but I liked it. Blarg's list: "I'll take Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon,...." is good. I have all of these.

I'm curious about Kurosawa's Dreams. I've seen quite a few of his films but never this one.

Also - if any of you have the Seven Samurai Criterion DVD and haven't listened to the Michael Jeck commentary, you're missing out. It's not the only Kurosawa film for which he's done the commentary, and the others are worth a listen as well, but start with this one.

SL__72
09-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Jean-Paul Rappeneau and Jean-Pierre Jeunet are two very good French Directors right now imo.

I think Steven Soderbergh would be a great choice.
Cameron Crowe too.
Michael Mann is pretty consistant and doesn't have the hugest collection.
Doug Liman is an easy one and I like all the movies he has directed (Swingers, Go, Bourne Identity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, sadly he also directs The O.C.)
Wes Anderson
David Fincher

Blarg
09-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, the commentary is good on that disk. Good commentary and supplementary materials, can add so much to the experience and understanding of a picture. It can make the value and appreciation just skyrocket. I wish it wasn't so rare.

ethan
09-15-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the commentary is good on that disk. Good commentary and supplementary materials, can add so much to the experience and understanding of a picture. It can make the value and appreciation just skyrocket. I wish it wasn't so rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I actually owned the disk for a couple years before listening to the commentary because I was used to the idea that commentary = boring. Someone I trusted recommended the commentary, otherwise I might never have caught it.

One of the best commentaries I've heard. I wish it had more competition.

KDawgCometh
09-15-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Ran his take on King Lear, or am I thinking of something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, part of my reason for putting Ran in my list is that I have always liked the King Lear Story

KDawgCometh
09-15-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about Kurosawa's Dreams. I've seen quite a few of his films but never this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was his last film. Its excellent. It is pretty much a social commentary on the things that are going on: Nuclear War, Overuse of Technology, horrors of war, destruction of the enviorment, its very good

sam h
09-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Even good directors always make at least a few shitty movies, which you don't want to own and will probably end up in your closet. You will be much better off just buying good movies.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Terence Malick. He's only made three movies and they are all good, especially Badlands and Days of Heaven.

Blarg
09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
He was one of the first names that came to mind for me, but there's a hate-fest going on in this forum about that war movie he made. People seem to really hate it. I think Badlands is incredibly great, though, and liked Days of Heaven too. And his catalogue is about as small as it gets.

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Terence Malick. He's only made three movies and they are all good, especially Badlands and Days of Heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't wait for the new one. Do you know when it comes out?

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was one of the first names that came to mind for me, but there's a hate-fest going on in this forum about that war movie he made. People seem to really hate it. I think Badlands is incredibly great, though, and liked Days of Heaven too. And his catalogue is about as small as it gets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the reason people didn't like Thin Red Line was because it had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. Inevitably it would be compared to "Ryan" and would not hold up as a 'war movie'

imported_The Vibesman
09-15-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the reason people didn't like Thin Red Line was because it had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. Inevitably it would be compared to "Ryan" and would not hold up as a 'war movie'

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...I didn't like Thin Red Line because it dragged a$$ and I had a hard time staying awake for it. I saw it before I saw Saving Private Ryan.

Badlands is a fantastic movie though, and I've heard good things about Days of Heaven.

TheBlueMonster
09-15-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know...I didn't like Thin Red Line because it dragged a$$ and I had a hard time staying awake for it. I saw it before I saw Saving Private Ryan.

Badlands is a fantastic movie though, and I've heard good things about Days of Heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I first saw it I thought it dragged too. But that's if you actually care about action rather than exploration of self blah blahblah blah... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badlands is the most watchable, but Days of Heaven is visually gorgeous.

imported_The Vibesman
09-15-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first saw it I thought it dragged too. But that's if you actually care about action rather than exploration of self blah blahblah blah... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badlands is the most watchable, but Days of Heaven is visually gorgeous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I tend to like slow-paced character studies. I guess I just wasn't into these characters.

Also, I don't tend to like war movies. The only reason I saw Thin Red Line is because Malick directed it.

I'll have to check out Days of Heaven soon.

Blarg
09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
It was an amazing visual experience. Malick is a poet.

someday
09-16-2005, 08:17 AM
in no particular order.

tarantino
scorcesse
kubrick
david fincher
guy pierce (not the one with madonna in)
steven sodenbourgh sp?
alfred hitchcock
waichowsky brothers sp?

KaneKungFu123
10-07-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Roman Polanski

[/ QUOTE ]

then get a 12 year old drunk, rape her, and skip town to paris!

pokerdirty
10-07-2005, 01:04 AM
john woo! The Killer and A Better Tomorrow were awesome. Most of his crossover to Hollywood stuff has sucked though.

gusser
10-07-2005, 01:09 AM
I know the thread is old but someone bumped it before me. I can't belive no one mentioned Tim Burton.

gus