PDA

View Full Version : Staying Awake When Tired

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 07:49 PM
After getting back to college a few days late with full course load and plans for many extracirriculars I've been really busy so far and have been getting very tired at night. Anyway, when I get tired I have no willpower and if I was planning on doing something, like practicing piano, or doing homework I just can't do it, I go to bed. How do you guys stay awake when tired?

Please no caffeine suggestions, it doesn't work for me, and I don't want to drink soda, it's a pain to boil water for tea here and I want something else. Splashing cold water on myself works too. Any really clever ideas out there?

ddss6_99
09-14-2005, 07:50 PM
speed

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-14-2005, 07:51 PM
I would always leave all my [censored] on my bed so it would be a hassle to actually get into bed. It usually worked, but it eventually catches up with you and you end up sleeping on books, etc.

LBJ
Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Aytumious
Pushups.

How can coffee not work for you? Arent you making it strong enough? Have you ever tried putting some ice cubes in it so you can drink 3 cups really quickly?

InchoateHand
09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I go outside and walk in loops. Seriously. Don't try to relax, instead think about something you are excited about (includingly intellectually stimulated by). Focus your arguments and prepare your criticisms. Keep pacing until you are really focused (this works for piano but much better for studies, especially anything written).

TheWorstPlayer
09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Why don't you try to get some actual sleep instead of wanking all night? Then when you want to stay up to do something worthwhile, you'll be able to.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Coffee is gross, also it is an old person drink. Caffeeine seems like something that would affect every person differently, and it affects me weakly.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Woah, I forgot how fun it is posting on OOT, 8 responses in less than 5 minutes.

MINETZ
09-14-2005, 07:57 PM
if your into drugs(not coke or speed) u can just take the same pills truckers take "pep pills".

ilya
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Instead of trying to find ways of abusing your body by denying it sleep, try to be more efficient so that you can get your work done and still get enough rest. In the meanwhile, sleep when you need to. Your health is a much more important asset than your GPA or whatever.

bravos1
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
smash your toes with a hammer... doubt you'll want any sleep after doing that a few times /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, get some sleep

jokerthief
09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Get a trampoline and bounce on it for five minutes. While jumping think about something that exictes you or stimulates your intellect. You would be amazed at how much energy that will give you. Also, buy a top of the line trampoline in the range of $150-200. Otherwise you'll spend $30-$50 dollars a month replacing them.

09-14-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coffee is gross, also it is an old person drink. Caffeeine seems like something that would affect every person differently, and it affects me weakly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you in college or not? Old person drink?
The fact that you say "Caffeeine [sic] seems" implies to me that you really haven't tried caffeine all that much. You should seriously consider konsuming larger amounts of it, that way it actually does something. You know its working when you feel excited and warm.

chuddo
09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
http://www.nlrpolice.org/Narcotics/METH-LAB-PHOTOS%20067.jpg

WackityWhiz
09-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Boris
09-14-2005, 08:04 PM
if you're tired go to sleep.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 08:08 PM
For everyone that says "hey doofus! if you're tired go to sleep!" consider, this is college, sometimes I will be tired and still have some homework to do, that is inevitable. Normally I do go to sleep and don't do the homework, but some of the times I should be able to stay up and get work done that needs to be done.

ilya
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know its working when your heart is skipping half a dozen beats a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

touchfaith
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Bright lights. Especially if on the computer. Any squinting or discomfort when getting tired is going to make you more tired.

ilya
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For everyone that says "hey doofus! if you're tired go to sleep!" consider, this is college, sometimes I will be tired and still have some homework to do, that is inevitable. Normally I do go to sleep and don't do the homework, but some of the times I should be able to stay up and get work done that needs to be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

believe it or not i went to college too, so I know what it's like. i still think my advice is good.
college is a bizarre place that can warp your priorities in strange and unhealthy ways. like convincing you that getting some bullshit essay done is more important than letting your body rest. both may be important, and you should try to organize your time so that they don't conflict....but when it comes to choosing one or the other, it's important to keep the value of your classes in perspective.

Boris
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
ok as long as you're not doing it on a regular basis. I really think you should give in and try caffeine. I never needed it at night but I'm a night person.

MINETZ
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
air conditioning also works, if im in a really cold room, i get more alert when im tired, unless im under my down comforter.

garyjacosta
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Walk in on your parents doing it.... That should keep you from sleeping for quite a while.

flatline
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just suck it up and start drinking coffee. Old person's drink? Have you ever been to a coffee house?

Rick Nebiolo
09-14-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...also it is an old person drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are about 99% of the customers in a typical Starbucks a lot younger than me?

~ Rick

istewart
09-14-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are about 99% of the customers in a typical Starbucks a lot younger than me?

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't go to Starbucks for coffee. They go there for chocolate, sugar, a heart-attack-inducing donut, and gay lounge music in the background.

theben
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
quick naps--30 mins
chewing strong mint gum
brief excersize
more sleep at night
adderol (illegal)

09-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey that's my avatar!

I'm coming after you.

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.bevnet.com/images/reviews/sobenofear/nofear-can.jpg

This will keep you awake for a couple hours. Guarana does wonders.

NLSoldier
09-14-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Walk in on your parents doing it.... That should keep you from sleeping for quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice so far.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
air conditioning also works, if im in a really cold room, i get more alert when im tired, unless im under my down comforter.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is certainly part of the problem, it's like 150% humidity and 200 degrees here.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know, coffee sucks though there is no getting around that fact

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
interestint fact those lattes at starbucks, actually some drink there forget what they call it at duncun dunuts it's called the "coffee coleta" has 1k calories

mblax10
09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your into drugs(not coke or speed) u can just take the same pills truckers take "pep pills".

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you watch the very special episode of Saved by The Bell?

http://level-zero.org/articles/8/011.jpg

"I'm so Excited! I'm so Excited! I'm so Scared!

istewart
09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
interestint fact those lattes at starbucks, actually some drink there forget what they call it at duncun dunuts it's called the "coffee coleta" has 1k calories

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

istewart
09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you watch the very special episode of Saved by The Bell?

http://level-zero.org/articles/8/011.jpg

"I'm so Excited! I'm so Excited! I'm so Scared!

[/ QUOTE ]

BRILLIANT!

steelcmg
09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When im really tired i have one of those and 2 caffine pills then im amped up and ready to go baby

tdp
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um,guarana is high in caffiene.

jakethebake
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Try ice in your shorts.

thatpfunk
09-14-2005, 09:13 PM
meh, i can guarantee bruiser that this will keep him awake.

gorie
09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coffee is gross, also it is an old person drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's funny. i always say "coffee is for old people" when people talk to me about drinking coffee.

jakethebake
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's funny. i always say "coffee is for old people" when people talk to me about drinking coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we've finally found a girl for Bruiser! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
09-14-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.mavenmag.com/issue0101/images/product_rockstar.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

MINETZ
09-14-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know, coffee sucks though there is no getting around that fact

[/ QUOTE ]
theyre called frappachinos, not the best source of caffeine. how bout investing in an air conditioner?

gorie
09-14-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hm, no. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
09-14-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um,guarana is caffiene.

[/ QUOTE ]

john smith
09-14-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/bawls_2up.jpg

RacersEdge
09-14-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would always leave all my [censored] on my bed so it would be a hassle to actually get into bed. It usually worked, but it eventually catches up with you and you end up sleeping on books, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, where's a pic with a guy waking up with a book corner indentation his face..

LBJ
09-14-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.business-supply.com/product_images/image/EB032468.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
09-14-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.amonline.com/article/photos/1112722535745_lg_full_throttle.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYFYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't worry gorrie, i wouldn't want you anyway

gorie
09-14-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't worry gorrie, i wouldn't want you anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
i wasn't worried and didn't think you did... just assume that is why i said no.