PDA

View Full Version : Top pair OK kicker, paired board.

ReadyEddie
09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Villain is 30/10 over 162 hands

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.00 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.00 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Comments? Is turn play ok? is river ok?

@bsolute_luck
09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
those percentages mean very little in terms of a read.

1. fold preflop.
2. flop is fine.
3. unless you have a stronger read, if you're calling that c/3-bet, you're calling the river- in other words: just fold to the turn c/3-bet /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nick C
09-14-2005, 06:38 PM
The flop bet comes from a really awkward spot, and if you just folded right there, I wouldn't complain. Your made hand isn't really all that strong in this multiway pot, and you're facing some bad reverse implied odds here, as you could easily get outdrawn even if you are ahead.

But, if you're playing, I think you should raise.

When Button and SB both cold-call and then MP2 donks the turn, I start getting really nervous. I'd probably stubbornly call, hoping I'm ahead of MP2, somehow, and that the other two players just had draws. But I am worried. (I kind of doubt we're ahead of MP2, really, though I guess he could be trying to represent trip 4's or something.)

When SB check/3-bet the turn, I would probably grudgingly fold, wondering what it was that he had. 99 is one guess, but who knows? As the SB, he could also have a hand like 54o that he made a loose preflop call and then a loose flop cold-call with. His stats are not way out of control, but some people do loosen up quite a bit in the blinds.

If he had a hand like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (unlikely, but possible), then I guess his turn play and river follow-up won him the pot.

SippinSoma
09-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Fold to the SB 3-bet. You are probably drawing to 2 outs (and maybe 1 at that).

Jake (The Snake)
09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When Button and SB both cold-call and then MP2 donks the turn, I start getting really nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be very worried about MP2 at all. I would be worried when SB 3-bet the turn though. I'd probably fold there, I like it up to then though.

Nick C
09-14-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When Button and SB both cold-call and then MP2 donks the turn, I start getting really nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be very worried about MP2 at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What do you have him on?

I don't know what he has, but his hand doesn't have to be all that great to be ahead of ours.

Part of what I'm thinking is that the flop raise and cold-calls should scare him if he has a hand like K9.

Then again, I haven't played 2/4 in awhile and am a bit out of touch with that game.

W. Deranged
09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Calling the turn and then folding the river is basically totally inconsistent. You do not have enough outs to continue past the turn for draw value alone, and I highly doubt SB will be checking the river ever after the check-raise three-bet on the turn.

Therefore: If you call the turn you have to call the river.

With that said, you shouldn't even be calling the third bet on the turn. Fold right there.

Jake (The Snake)
09-14-2005, 06:54 PM
From what I've seen, that donk usually means he really hopes somebody thinks he has a 4. Maybe he has a T, maybe a 9, maybe a flush or straight draw. He almost never actually has a monster though. The only hands I'm really worried about are QT or KT, and maybe he 3-bets the flop with those. So I still raise in case I have the best hand in order to protect it. You're right, he doesn't need much to be ahead, but I don't think we are ahead so rarely that we shouldn't protect our hand.

Nick C
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen, that donk usually means he really hopes somebody thinks he has a 4. Maybe he has a T, maybe a 9, maybe a flush or straight draw. He almost never actually has a monster though. The only hands I'm really worried about are QT or KT, and maybe he 3-bets the flop with those. So I still raise in case I have the best hand in order to protect it. You're right, he doesn't need much to be ahead, but I don't think we are ahead so rarely that we shouldn't protect our hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probably right. This is just one of those hands I wouldn't have enjoyed at all, even before I got check/3-bet.

But, actually, I would have been a spectator anyway, since I would have folded preflop.