PDA

View Full Version : QQ over pair, runs into plenty of action

ReadyEddie
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Typical 2/4 table, nothing special

Mp1 is 36/11 over 61 hands.
UTG is a total fish
everyone else is unknown

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(8 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (20.00 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (15.00 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (19.00 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 19.00 BB.

SheridanCat
09-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Well, I guess MP1's AK missed. Perhaps I put him on that since I had a guy limp-reraise me with AK this morning - the first time I remember that play.

I wish I didn't know what happened on the river. Were you going for a check-raise? I think the only hands that call your check-raise are hands that beat you.

I think I'd be more prone to bet on the river and call a raise, crying all the while.

Regards,

T

callmedonnie
09-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm raising the flop. In fact, I'm happy if the flop gets capped. The way it was played then, I obviously raise the turn.

shant
09-14-2005, 06:07 PM
I just raise the flop and go from there.

Nick C
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I might raise the flop, just in the hopes that someone will fold something that could go on to beat me, in this huge pot. (By the way, if you're ahead, a pocket pair such as 33 has the odds to call a single flop bet and draw against you.)

Possibly you hoped to wait and raise the turn. And if that was your plan and MP1 hadn't interfered on the flop, a turn raise on a blank might have been an effective way to thin the field. (However, one thing to keep in mind is that, given the coordinated nature of the board, there aren't as many "safe" cards to hope for as would be ideal.)

Maybe a turn donk-bet is something to consider? I don't know. You don't want it getting checked through. In any event, though, when MP1 bets again on the turn versus four opponents, I am worried that his preflop LRR was in fact AA/KK (or 99/88/44/22). But maybe he feels obligated to keep pushing with AQs, after all the strength he's shown. I recall a lot of that sort of thing taking place at 2/4.

Since MP1 checked behind on the river, I'm thinking you probably won, unless one of the other players whiffed on a river checkraise.

ReadyEddie
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
yeah at the time i was going to c/r the river. I think they call with hands that dont beat me. I definately didnt expect it to get checked around in a thousand years. UTG is like 60/5 over 100 hands, or something ridiculous like that.

ReadyEddie
09-14-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Possibly you hoped to wait and raise the turn. And if that was your plan and MP1 hadn't interfered on the flop, a turn raise on a blank might have been an effective way to thin the field. (However, one thing to keep in mind is that, given the coordinated nature of the board, there aren't as many "safe" cards to hope for as would be ideal.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was the plan.

TemetNosce
09-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Raise the SB's bet on the flop and go from there.

Jake (The Snake)
09-14-2005, 06:43 PM
You'll basically never get an opponent to incorrectly call in this hand.

However, you may be able to get some opponents to incorrectly fold. So just raise the flop.

W. Deranged
09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I am extremely confused about how you could possibly play this hand without ever making an aggressive action of any kind post flop.

Just raise the flop. The pot is big but raising will still encourage folds from players with single overcards and backdoor draws and stuff like that.

In general:

Big Pot + Multiway Action + Vulnerable Hand = Straightforward Play

(The exceptions are times when you delay a street to make a raise that offers better protection, but that requires some other factors and a very sound knowledge of the table you're working with.)

TheKnife
09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
should have raised the flop for sure. Stopped reading after that

Dagger78
09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Since MP1 will probably raise the flop(whether he has a hand or not), you should probably raise the flop. I think you planned on raising the turn, but in this case I think you should have go ahead and started the raising on the flop. I think it would be easier to play this one fast.

09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
The flop call is fine cause you'd love to be able to raise SB's turn bet, but once it gets raised again on the flop I'd just give up all pretenses and three bet. Given that you failed to do that, check raise the turn.

krubban
09-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Raise the flop and the hand will play out much easier I think. As some previous poster stated you could make someone incorrectly fold and you're very likely to have the best hand.

SippinSoma
09-15-2005, 01:10 AM
So you waited until the turn to raise...what happened?

Bodhi
09-15-2005, 02:58 AM
Wtf? Is this a joke?