PDA

View Full Version : AJo UTG - fold, call or raise

Luke
05-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Assume a typical, 10-handed, loose-passive 3-6 game with very little pre-flop raising. Many opponents will play nearly any ace. You are dealt AJo UTG - how do you play it: fold, call, or raise? From reading HFAP I guess S&M would GENERALLY advise calling with this Group 4 hand. But considering the specific game what is the best play? Raise in an attempt to limit the field? Call to keep the A-junks in? If you call, and are raised (not often in this game), how would you then proceed if you didn't have a read on the specific player (the raiser). What if you were dealt ATo UTG in this same game - do things change all that much? Any advice, point of views, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

eMarkM
05-02-2003, 12:36 PM
If the game is so tough, you feel you have to fold AJo UTG, you probably need to find another game.

I mix it up between raising and calling with this hand. In tight games where you've seen UTG raises take down the blinds, by all means raise. But usually limp.

ATo toss in the much for sure UTG. That's the cutoff on Aces in EP.

Inthacup
05-02-2003, 01:40 PM
AJo and KQo UTG have caused more unrest on this forum than just about any other hands. Most times I raise. In the game you describe, limping UTG is going to get you at least 3-4 limpers before it gets to the blinds. I would much rather raise here, and go up against 1-2 cold callers. If they 3-bet, then you have some added information on the strength of their hand. This isn't the easiest situation. Know that by raising UTG, there is going to be several situations where you're going to have to outplay your opponent on later streets to take down the pot. A time where I would limp w/ this hand UTG is when the game is tight passive, and you will only expect 1-2 other limpers.

Joe Tall
05-02-2003, 02:11 PM
AJo, I simply treat this hand as raise or fold. I typically fold it but mix it up in EP with a raise when the time is right. I feel limping is asking for trouble with this hand.

ATo - no question, fold.

Luke
05-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Thank you Mark and InthaCup for your input... So I think I got it: Raise or call (depending on the texture of the game) with the goal of getting up against 1 or 2 opponents.(?)

Luke
05-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Thank you too #33.

Homer
05-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Ahh yes, the AJo/KQo discussion!

I limp with both of these hands in EP in a typical loose-passive game. I don't really want to see the flop with 5 other players for 2 bets, I'd rather see it for one. What's the point in raising if players would just as soon call two bets as they would one? If I catch on the flop, I'll have 5 people chasing me the whole way because the pot is so large. If I don't hit I'll check-call because the pot is large enough to take one off. When this happens I often end up chasing too far and get myself into trouble (you may not have this problem). By just limping, you can keep the pot small and will have an easier time taking the pot down postflop, whether it hits you or not. Since you didn't raise preflop you'll have an easier time checkraising an LP player when the flop comes KJx and you have a J and on flops like AQx when you have a Q. Also, when you have AJ and the flop comes Ace-high, you are more likely to get paid off by other players who don't believe you have an Ace (in fact, you will often be raised by a weaker Ace).

If the game is tight, I will raise with these hands hoping to steal the blinds or get it down to two or three-handed. If you have AJ in a tight game and raise, other AJ's will fold and some AQ's will fold. If you have KQ, other KQ's will fold and some AQ's will fold. Raising doesn't have this benefit in a loose game.

-- Homer

Louie Landale
05-02-2003, 03:10 PM
AT drops off a lot and is pretty much out-of-the-question early in a full game; any full game.

AJo is an easy FOLD in a real tough game. It plays very pooly against good hands in better position, weilded by players you fear. The only reason to play it is to disquise your better early hands. But it gains a lot in the loose-passive game you described. I think it actually plays satisfactorily against a bunch of players, so long as they are calling with trash all the time.

If the raise WILL narrow the field then I probably would NOT raise, since I'd rather go 1 bet against 7 weak hands than 2 bets against 1 good hand. But if they are going to call with their trash anyway (espeically A6 and J8) then raise.

In any case, don't expect a big EV for this hand early.

- Louie

Vehn
05-02-2003, 03:25 PM
So in conclusion to put an end to this discussion once and for all, when dealt AJ offsuit under the gun your options are to raise, call, or fold.

SoBeDude
05-02-2003, 05:26 PM
That reasonably narrows it down. Or, we could just say, "It depends". And leave it at that?

AJo does not play well multi way from an early position IN A LOOSE GAME (which the original poster DID mention). HPFAP says it (loose games section) and it took me getting beaten with it many times to believe it.

If you think you'll only get a few (like 2) callers if you raise in EP with it then do so. Playing AJo out of position against 5-7 callers is a very -EV play IMO.

-Scott