PDA

View Full Version : wired ethernet connection

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm sitting here in my schools library, using the wired ethernet connection with a 8$ cable I bought yesterday. It's really unreliable, sometimes I'm getting speeds of 1mps on stuff I'm downloading and sometimes I can hardly surf the web. is it normal for this type of connection to be so off and on, anyone know? sometimes im getting a crazy fast connection, and other times its really slow.

FouTight
09-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Yes

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
so its normal that sometimes is blazing fast and sometimes its awful?

i guess it is being shared with other people but i cant see why it gets so slow.

FouTight
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes.

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats annoying. i would think that since its a wired cable connection that it would be reliable.

09-14-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats annoying. i would think that since its a wired cable connection that it would be reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on the network. Chances are that your network has a lot of people on it right now or it just sucks in general and doesn't have a lot of bandwidth to begin with.

09-14-2005, 01:55 PM
No.

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 01:56 PM
i think its probably that this is a big library and there are a lot of people using it. maybe i'll go to another building where there are less people. i like the quiet when i work and play poker.

09-14-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think its probably that this is a big library and there are a lot of people using it. maybe i'll go to another building where there are less people. i like the quiet when i work and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most school networks suck unless you're at a really techy school like MIT. I would move off campus and get Road Runner or DSL or something.

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most school networks suck unless you're at a really techy school like MIT. I would move off campus and get Road Runner or DSL or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

well this is only when i go to the library and work. i was mostly just curious as to whether there was a problem on my end.

damn, i was really looking forward to getting season 2 of the OC finished too.

rohjoh
09-14-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here in my schools library, using the wired ethernet connection with a 8$ cable I bought yesterday. It's really unreliable, sometimes I'm getting speeds of 1mps on stuff I'm downloading and sometimes I can hardly surf the web. is it normal for this type of connection to be so off and on, anyone know? sometimes im getting a crazy fast connection, and other times its really slow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be the bypass line, or the fetzer valve...

M2d
09-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing that you're in a slow period right now and that clicking on the tech help forum would take too long. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that you're in a slow period right now and that clicking on the tech help forum would take too long. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, i figured this wasnt too complicated and i would get responses much faster. instant gratification.

Amid Cent
09-14-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be the bypass line, or the fetzer valve...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely the bypass line. You need some 40 weight ball bearings and a quart of Prestone. No, make that Quaker State.