PDA

View Full Version : Are Wreckless Bubble Pushes Like This Okay?

FakeKramer
09-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Notice the chip stacks. Basically I just want to know if a play like this is +EV or if I'm just being a little bit too aggressive. Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG (t233)
Button (t772)
SB (t1963)
Hero (t5032)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero Pushes All In, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Final Pot: t300

No showdown. Hero wins t300.

lorinda
09-14-2005, 01:39 PM
In this exact situation I think this is usually okay, unless you suspect a trap. (Which you would only do had you pushed a lot of hands already)

You may still be playing too aggressively elsewhere of course.

Lori

pergesu
09-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Depends on the buyin. I get mad aggressive when I have a big stack and there's a small stack around...especially when I'm reading Strasser's archived posts while I play. Anyway after a complete is fine, but at low limits you probably shouldn't do it over a raise. Of course that doesn't ever stop me from doing it...just realize that when you get called, the caller is taking equity from both of you guys and handing it over to the other players.

But yeah I like this. Nothing to lose, and he knows not to complete his SB anymore. You'll get a lot of free passes.

bluefeet
09-14-2005, 01:42 PM
with UTG &amp; Button on life support, this is certainly warranted - almost mandatory...not even "almost" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[the only arguement to be made is the blind size - in regards to the "reward" you receive. maybe making it 600 to go PF would most certainly provide the same results, yet give you a way to avoid the unpleasantness of donk'n a butt-load of chips. but seriously, he just CAN'T call this.]

DMACM
09-14-2005, 01:43 PM
I love a push from here. In low limits this isnt usually a trap. Against bad players Id almost rather push from the BB becuse by limping the SB has announced he has a weak hand. He might need KK or QQ to call this also those chip stacks couldnt be more ideal.

1C5
09-14-2005, 01:44 PM
i do that with 23o, but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ChuckNorris
09-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah, it's clearly a push. (Almost) any donk will notice that they don't wanna risk busting out 4th in this situation.

Sciolist
09-14-2005, 01:47 PM
With those chips, that's a definite push. If you were 1900 and he 5000, it changes completely.

Scuba Chuck
09-14-2005, 01:48 PM
OP, you can actually answer this question mathematically. There are some exceptions to this of course, but almost any player can recognize that they are one away from the money, and that UTG will be out next.

So, you can rest assured that any raise will only be called by a narrow range of hands. Therefore, if you wish, you can actually raise to a lesser amount than a push, for example, just raising to 450 will also get SB to fold all but his premium hands (which I would think are QQ+, AK). You're likely only saving yourself 322 chips in this scenario, so we're prolly splitting hairs.

jon462
09-14-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Notice the chip stacks. Basically I just want to know if a play like this is +EV or if I'm just being a little bit too aggressive. Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG (t233)
Button (t772)
SB (t1963)
Hero (t5032)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero Pushes All In, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Final Pot: t300

No showdown. Hero wins t300.

[/ QUOTE ]

a push with any 2 (ANY 2) is mandatory in this situation. Besides you might have the best hand /images/graemlins/wink.gif

45suited
09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he knows not to complete his SB anymore. You'll get a lot of free passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very key point, IMO. Unless I have a special reason to believe he's trapping, I'm pushing here of course.

1C5
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Pfff, I just river trips to beat his AA/KK here anyway and then write "that's what you get for trying to be sneaky"

ZeroPointMachine
09-14-2005, 02:18 PM
As others have noted this is a clearly positive play. But it should be noted that your gain here is marginal given the blind levels. You also have to be aware that next time SB limps into you he could very well be trapping. If you are multitabling and forget that you've used this move the trap will cost you much more than you gained.