PDA

View Full Version : My kickball team has zero wins, three losses.

Tyler Durden
05-02-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm playing WAKA kickball. Anyone heard of it? It's fun.

Anyway, I played this hand in a home game last night where the limits were $7.50/$15.00. Pink game.

MP openraises. I'm two to his left and three-bet w/ AKo. We're heads up.

Flop is Ts-4h-2s.
He checks and calls.

Turn is Kd.
He checks and calls.

River is 4s.
He checks. what's my action and why?

Homer
05-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Bet. He would have pushed harder on the flop/turn with a four-flush containing two overcards. He doesn't have a 4 because he raised preflop. There are a lot of hands he could have that contain a T or K (with a lesser kicker) with which he would call.

-- Homer

marbles
05-02-2003, 10:54 AM
My league game is tonight. Team name is Kick me in the Junk. Not WAKA though. Basically a drunk-fest.

As for the hand...

I'd bet it 99.44% of the time. The only hand you should be concerned about is AsQs (or maybe AsJs), and he'll call with a lot of worse ones (e.g. QQ, JJ, ATs). He doesn't hold a 4.

ElSapo
05-02-2003, 11:05 AM
I know WAKA, some friends play in that league I think. You play on the mall?

I check behind, but then again I always fear a guy check-calling when the flush card comes up. But the other guys are more experienced than I...

Tyler Durden
05-02-2003, 11:17 AM
I played on the mall last season. This season we're playing in Dupont. We switched divisions because the Mall's fields aren't flat. I play center field. I'm way better than Andruw Jones.

On this hand, I am not too sure he will call with a lesser hand. Am I wrong? What are some hands he will call my river bet with that I can beat?

Inthacup
05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
A pivotal part you left out of this post is whether your A was the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . If it is, then obviously, you don't have to worry about A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif or A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . If you did have the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , then definitely bet. He could have KQ, QQ, JJ. I say QQ and JJ because he could have smoothcalled your flop bet hoping to checkraise the turn, but when the K came, he could have gotten scared and just called.

If you don't have the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , that makes the decision tougher. Lately I've been shown some REALLY weird hands. Players can get pretty creative when thinking of what hands you could have. I'd say bet, you could be called by all kinds of hands, and if he folds, good. If he raises, only you know whether he's the type of player that would check-raise bluff the river. I'd say he's probably not, and has the goods.

Tyler Durden
05-02-2003, 12:03 PM
I didn't have the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif.

Homer
05-02-2003, 12:18 PM
99, 88, 77, JTs, QTs, ATs, K9s, KJs, KQs.

Keep in mind that he open-raised from MP so he could have a fairly wide range of hands compared to a raise from EP.

-- Homer

eMarkM
05-02-2003, 12:43 PM
I would bet. Yeah, the flush got there, but often the out of position player is so afraid you'll check behind and that he'll lose a bet, that they just bet out in this spot when they make their flush. He checked again, so I think that reduces the chances he has it. Since he openraised, he could have a lot of different pocket pairs or lesser K and will call you down.

Robk
05-02-2003, 03:28 PM
This is an easy value bet. You should reread HPFAP's section on Heads up on the End. You're leaving all types of money on the table if you don't bet here.

Louie Landale
05-02-2003, 03:36 PM
If he's any kind of gambler he would have put in action with his flopped flush-draw. If so, bet this one without thinking about it.

Otherwise, bet this one without thinking about it anyway, since he's probably got a paranoid pair he wants to call with.

- Louie

Tyler Durden
05-02-2003, 03:53 PM
On the river he checked, I bet, he raised. I knew he had the flush but i felt compelled to call anyway, so I did. He had A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif.

Maybe I'm being results-oriented, and on the river I didn't think about what he would/could call with, but it seems like if he had QQ, JJ, he would have shown more life on the flop or turn.

Did he play the hand well?

Being checkraised on the river just bugs me. Put me on tilt for a while.

SoBeDude
05-02-2003, 04:11 PM
With a nut-flush draw on the flop I think a check-raise to slow you down, and try to get the free card on the turn is a better play than check-call, check-call.

I think he played somewhat weakly.

-Scott

Jeffage
05-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Bet because you will be called by worse kings and worse pairs. His preflop raise suggests he is unlikely to have a 4 and he probably would make a move on the flop with spades. Easy bet.

Jeff