PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes SLK or Porsche Boster

ISF
09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I just decided to take a hedge fund job that will require me to commute out of manhattan to Summit, NJ so have decided to blow my excess poker bankroll on a present to make this commute less painfull instead of investing it like I probably should. Which would you go with and why. As well I am being offered quite a bit less for an 05 boxter then an 06 boxter and am wondering what % difference this is worth as obviously in a few years the 06 would resale for more. What % makes this worthwhile assuming it is exactly the same car.

joshman1204
09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
It depends on how long you keep the car and the model of car. A basic car will depreciate at about 30-40% within the first two years and then levels off after that. So if you keep it 3+year it wont really matter which one you get now.

This will not apply to the high end turbo or twin turbo porsches because those usually appreciate if taken care of properly.

joshman1204
09-14-2005, 11:01 AM
whoops forgot to mention my pick, I would go with the slk for a daily driver.

jaydub
09-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Neither.

Mercedes as a company is a mess and should be avoided like the plague.

Boxsters are for poseurs who can't afford a real porsche. Suck it up and buy a 911. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Move to NJ. That's a pain of a commute.

astroglide
09-14-2005, 11:25 AM
i agree with jay. mercedes makes horribly unreliable cars and i don't see why anybody would want an entry-level porsche (it's not the same as like a bmw 300 series). consider an infiniti m. only the m35 comes in awd.

sfer
09-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Astro, your avatar has an annnoying white lines. This one doesn't:

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8881/image6nd.gif

morgan180
09-14-2005, 11:47 AM
i'd say neither - they're both mediocre cars. i'd go with the infiniti m coupe like astroglide said - go with the 6 speed transmition one you can thank us later.

astroglide
09-14-2005, 11:49 AM
there isn't an m coupe, you might be thinking of the g35 and not the m35/m45

sean c
09-14-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a Boxster and I don't suggest that as an everyday driver. It is a neat car and I enjoy driving it but it sucks in rain and I would assume in snow also. If I had to buy a daily driver I would go with the AMG C55. I love that car test drove it a couple of months ago and it was great.

Dominic
09-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I think they're both chick cars. Like the VW Bug but for more money.

Why not get something that could actually fit a golf bag?

swede123
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
The new SLK 350 is much nicer looking than the old SLK. This would be my pick of the two you listed. Like others said, neither would be my choice if I had 40-45 grand to spend on a car.

Swede

sean c
09-14-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get your golf bag in the rear trunk of the boxster.

smokingrobot
09-14-2005, 12:50 PM
i was never a fan of the boxster. if you're going to get a porsche, get a porsche (like a carrera, or whatnot)

i also dont like the slk much either... mercedes doesnt have a manual transmission in their cars, everything is automatic (i think even the S55 AMG, which is still fast as hell, but...) i prefer a sports car with a manual transmission.

the SLK is the kompressor convertable right? its kinda femme.

why have you narrowed it down to those 2 vehicles?

not that you're wrong for liking them, just imo, they're not me. i have an STi which i love to death, but then again, i wasnt concerned w/ a luxury interior, i was only concerned with the specifications of the engine and the handling.

sean c
09-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I was a little bummed that the C55 didn't have a manual trans but it has one of those toggle shifters on the steering wheel or you could bump the gear shifter left or right to shift manually. I thought both were pretty cool and yes it is fast as hell. I agree the boxster isn't a real porsche.

smokingrobot
09-14-2005, 01:16 PM
yah, the paddle shifters are definately sweet, but still not the same w/o a clutch.

usually a 0-60 on a manual is faster than 0-60 on the automatic version of the same car... how about the fake manual? does that get the same benefit? if so i guess there really is no diference except you dont freak out when getting into an automatic and look for the clutch with your left foot and slam on the breaks instead.

swede123
09-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Some of the newer automatics are as fast or even faster than anyone who's not a trained driver. That being said, I can't stand sporty cars with automatics. Driving a stick is so much more rewarding.

Swede

jaydub
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the newer automatics are as fast or even faster than anyone who's not a trained driver. That being said, I can't stand sporty cars with automatics. Driving a stick is so much more rewarding.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the SMG / F1 style paddle shifters are fast.

However tiptronic / manumatics are the slow ones, torque conversion and such.

M3's even have a launch mode if I recall. Perfect launches every time.

But it's all about the feel for the recreational drivers so the lack of a manual clutch can be a big drawback.

morgan180
09-14-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct - i say go with the g35 - the 6 speed transmition is ridiculous. i agree with the rest of the comments - the boxter doesn't even qualify you for any of the porche enthusiast clubs b/c they don't consider them a real porche (i agree). the mercedes is a chick car, its like the bmw z3.

i personally would go with the above-mentioned g35 or an M3 (convertible if you like) or if i could afford it i'd step up to a 911.

jaydub
09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct - i say go with the g35 - the 6 speed transmition is ridiculous. i agree with the rest of the comments - the boxter doesn't even qualify you for any of the porche enthusiast clubs b/c they don't consider them a real porche (i agree). the mercedes is a chick car, its like the bmw z3.

i personally would go with the above-mentioned g35 or an M3 (convertible if you like) or if i could afford it i'd step up to a 911.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup and I'd add the TT to the chick car list.

Lotus Elise is sweet too if praticality is no concern.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This man tells it like it is.

iMsoLucky0
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I loooooooooove my G35. Great car, you should definitely look at them.

Dominic
09-14-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get your golf bag in the rear trunk of the boxster.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, one. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jaydub
09-14-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I loooooooooove my G35. Great car, you should definitely look at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially if you take the $20K saved and buy one of the twin turbo kits... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ISF
09-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I have no interest in a sedan, I am getting some sort of convertable sports car for sure. What do people thinkg about the 350z Roadster it would save me a few grand at least. Is this car less gay then the previous two I mentioned. I am also sort of considering a convertable vet although these are a bit more then I had planned on spending.

astroglide
09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
i'm not talking about a bmw m3, i'm talking about an infiniti m35 or m45. they're better than g35 sedans. they also cost 20k more.

morgan180
09-14-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not talking about a bmw m3, i'm talking about an infiniti m35 or m45. they're better than g35 sedans. they also cost 20k more.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know you weren't talking about a bmw m3 - i was just saying that i would take one of those over the OP's two options presented.

the infiniti m's are nice but i was more in the 'sports car' vein as opposed to the 'nice ride' vein.

morgan180
09-14-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no interest in a sedan, I am getting some sort of convertable sports car for sure. What do people thinkg about the 350z Roadster it would save me a few grand at least. Is this car less gay then the previous two I mentioned. I am also sort of considering a convertable vet although these are a bit more then I had planned on spending.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say no on the 'z' as well - they are less gay, but still questionable. i would also stay away from cars like the pontiac solstice and audi TT for similar reasons.

the vet has unfortunately fallen to the middle-age donk crowd and in my mind is grouped with the camaro (hey check out my bitchin' camaro) as a car that is no longer the sexy (as the kids say these days).

now if you are thinking about trying to save money and still make a purchase there is nothing wrong with a solid 2002-2004 version of the above mentioned cars to pay a little less. as a matter of fact the 2001 911 is probably one of the classics of that line.

astroglide
09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
require me to commute out of manhattan to Summit, NJ

[/ QUOTE ]

for a commute, i would be thinking about a 'nice ride'.

with regard to the sports aspect, i believe even the m35 is faster than a g35 in 0-60. it's not a manual, though, and it has 4 doors. it's only slightly larger. the g sedan doesn't seem to have any desirable feature over the m other than being less expensive.

jaydub
09-14-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
require me to commute out of manhattan to Summit, NJ

[/ QUOTE ]

for a commute, i would be thinking about a 'nice ride'.

with regard to the sports aspect, i believe even the m35 is faster than a g35 in 0-60. it's not a manual, though, and it has 4 doors. it's only slightly larger. the g sedan doesn't seem to have any desirable feature over the m other than being less expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negligible difference in acceleration as they share an engine. G is more the sport offering whereas the M is more luxury. G also has the sexy coupe model. Keep in mind the Z is just the sport car version of the G. They're all just nissan skylines aimed at different market segments.

Both are very nice 40K-ish cars that are probably best compared against each other via test drives.

lgas
09-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Maybe something has changed with the newer models (280/350), but I had a '99 SLK 230 and it was a 6-speed manual.

FWIW, in regards to the posters original question, having driven both, I'd go with the SLK over the boxster for a daily driver, but as others have pointed out there are several cars that are a better fit for a daily driver in this price range.

SammyKid11
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't know the area so I don't know what this commute is like...but if you're going to be in stop 'n' go rush hour every day, I can say from experience that a manual transmission is horrendous under these conditions.

So...if this is this the case:
1) Sports cars with automatic screams gay.
2) Most convertibles generally scream gay.
3) You sound like you have the money to buy something expensive...get a really cool Mercedes or BMW...or something like the Lexus IS300. You'll be more comfortable, you can drive an automatic which will cause you to like your commute more, chicks will actually dig this more than a wimpy small convertible b/c cars like what I've mentioned say "I'm an important man with important things to do who is interested in class," instead of "I'm a man who is trying desperately to distract your attention from my amazingly small penis."

HtotheNootch
09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Z4 - even though I personally think the Z3 was a better looking car (but I'm biased).

That said, when i got my Z3, it outperformed the Boxster for around $20 grand less. Let's face it neither are practical, so at some point you'll need a second ride. I definitely can't take my dog for a ride in a Z3.

09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
If you're going to go with the SLK (which I highly recommend), MAKE SURE you get the SLK 55 AMG not the 350. It will cost you at least $65K tho.

http://www.anything-auto.net/CARS/Mercedes_Benz/2005_SLK_55_AMG/05slk55amg_04.jpg

daveymck
09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Save up for this one the SLR, I thin k there is a maclaren version as well.

http://www.auto-salon-singen.com/mercedes/Mercedes_Vision_SLR_Roadster_05.jpg

The new Jag is looking good as well but more 911 money
http://www.whatcar.co.uk//Car/Jaguar/XKSeries/159551233371.jpg

daveymck
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank god infiniti dont sell cars over here that looks awful. looks like every bog standard family car we get over here, he asked about two seater converibles and everyones recommending this?

lapoker17
09-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Go test drive a g35 coupe - most fun car to drive that is still semi practical - 6 speed of course.

sean c
09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I forgot yesterday if you get the boxster make sure you get the s. Also there are a ton of 3-4yr old low mileage boxsters out there for half the price of a new one. This is the route I went when I bought mine and the only way to go IMO if you decide on the boxster. The only downside to that is I think the new boxster is a little different and has more HP but still I would go with a used s vs a new regular one.

daveymck
09-15-2005, 09:56 AM
I think there is a hard top version of the boxster coming out as well but I think thats even more of a I cant afford a 911 than an normal boxster.

sean c
09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is a hard top version of the boxster coming out as well but I think thats even more of a I cant afford a 911 than an normal boxster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

ghostface
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Boxsters suck. Get a Targa.