PDA

View Full Version : second pair hits resistance on turn

Bankuri
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
MP2 recently came to the table. played only one hand out of the blinds in a couple orbits.

I've had a rough morning with my big Ax hands not hitting pairs and costing me lots of money. This time I hit the pair but get lead into on the turn. My thought at the time was to call it down. Is that the right line or should I give him credit for a better hand here?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

CourtJester
09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Raise PF, yes this is a 3betting hand, especially against a late position open raiser. It makes the hand a little easier.

@bsolute_luck
09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
3-bet preflop- others may have reasonings to suggest cold calling is fine because it is suited you have position, AJs is fine in a multiway pot, and you don't want it HU with a stronger hand and no one else contributing. that said, i 3-bet because i have a strong hand, i could win it UI on the flop, i like to have control of the hand with position.

call the flop bet (use WA/WB line)- you're behind a lot of hands and you have position. if villain is betting UI overcards let him.

fold the turn. this donkbet on this board probably means he has 2nd pair beat (straight, 2 pair, trips) and it is a small pot with your A and J both tainted and the K for the straight might split the pot leads me to fold.

edited for explanations

cfjr2
09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I like this line fine until fold the turn

is 5.5 to 1 not enough to call the turn for an 8 to split or a K for nut str8? Also possible couple outs for J for trips and A for 2 pair?

VoraciousReader
09-14-2005, 11:04 AM
(grunch)

If villain has any sort of reasonable raising criteria, I'm having a hard time thinking of hands you are ahead of once the T falls on the turn. Anything with a K beats you, you lose to AK, AQ, split with AJ, beat A10 and A9 (I don't think bottom pair bets the turn at .50/1) 88,99,TT all beat you. You even lose to Qx.

If the river is exactly a K, you may win with a higher straight. With a board like that, you can't even feel great about your hand if you get your 3rd J on the river. If I stopped to evaluate this during play, (a weakness of mine) I would fold this hand on the turn.

Redd
09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
played only one hand out of the blinds in a couple orbits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this guy I fold preflop. Turn is an easy fold.