PDA

View Full Version : Expected Value/Implied Odd's

09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, please be nice. I have been reading about Expected Value, Implied Odd's and Pot Equity, I kind of understand the basic's of them, but i have been unable to find the formula for how to determine each of these. thank you for your help .Zandit

Mr. Curious
09-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Pot Equity is the amount of the pot that you can expect to win at any particular point in a hand. It changes depending on the street (preflop, flop, turn, & river). If you have 4 to the nut flush on the flop, then you have a 35% chance of getting the flush by the river and 35% pot equity. If the turn is a blank, your pot equity is lowered to 20% because there is only one more card to come.

Implied Odds are the additional bets you can expect to make if you make your hand that make your current pot odds profitable enough to call. For example, you are drawing to a gut shot straight against 4 opponents. On the flop, you are closing the action and receiving 9:1 pot odds to call the bet. You figure if you catch your card, that you will be able to make at least one bet from someone else in the hand and since the bets on the turn are twice the size of the bets on the flop, one caller bumps your current pot odds up to 11:1, enough to make the call.

Expected Value (EV) is just the amount of money, plus or minus, that you can expect to win on any action that you take. In the flush example, you have a 35% pot equity on the flop, so as long as there are two people calling you, your bet has a 2% positive expectation because you are only putting in 33% of the money.