PDA

View Full Version : PP "Blood Game"

09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm fairly new to this site, and just graduated to 2/4, so still learning. I've read SSH at least 3 times, and it has helped immensely. However, there's a recurring scenario that I am not sure how to handle.

Often at PP (and I'm sure other sites as well), I find myself in a room with multiple maniacs, who like to cap pre-flop frequently. The flop is also capped more often than not. These players will do this with seemingly any two cards. I can't tell you the number of times AKs lost to a pair of 3s. Obviously, there's money to be made if I can get two good cards and hit the flop. Thing is, I may have to wait 200 hands before I find something worth capping PF and hanging in for all those raises, esp. if I don't make my hand right away. It makes it hard to play something like KJs since I know it will be capped PF and most likely the later streets as well. SSH indicates that I should release that hand among others to a raise and re-raise. Should I decide to take my chances with KJs, if an A, K, Q, OR J hits on the flop, I have no way of knowing if my KJ is any good. Let's face it, even idiots catch good cards once in a while. And in this case, there's two or more, and it will cost me 14 BB to find out if I have the best hand.

A quick follow-up: If you find yourself HU against one of these maniacs in a raised pot, at what point would you give up something like AK without hitting the flop? Would you check-call through the river?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. If I could ask one question of Mr. Miller, Mr. Sklansky or Mr. Malmuth, this would probably be it. Maybe it's in one of their other books. I'll be sure and look into that as well. Great forum.

djoyce003
09-14-2005, 02:18 PM
The games with multiple maniacs capping preflop are high variance but also high +ev. You should be willing to go further with more hands preflop than you normally would. Yes against a normal raise and reraise you'd dump say AJ. Against these guys AJ stands to be far ahead of their values. You should probably be reraising them with AJ.

If you hit the flop ram and jam, if you miss then you can consider dumping the hand if they are still raising and reraising as it stands to reason one of them hit some piece of it. You'll drag some huge pots, but you'll also lose some.

09-14-2005, 02:31 PM
You should only play in these sorts of games if your bankroll can handle the variance - which it should be able to anyway to play at that limit.

I would say that you would want to loosen up, but perhaps not by as much as you are thinking.

lozen
09-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I feel for you also. I have been on the wrong side on mnay pots with maniacs like this in 3/6 an 2/4. A-A loosing to 5-7 off thannto 2-7 off. Every time 2nd pair hit on the river. I had one session were I was 1-11 with pocket kings or aces. Some days nothing goes right. A few Maniacs great but too many and wow.

jba
09-14-2005, 03:02 PM
IIRC, Sklanksy's HPFAP has a good section about playing against maniacs.

Sniper
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
As does The Psychology of Poker!

09-14-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, Sklanksy's HPFAP has a good section about playing against maniacs.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're playing them right. If you can be patient, the money is there. The mistake the maniacs make is pre flop (don't get sucked in to the same mistake). After that, they'll (most of the time) be making the right play. Read HP4AP while you're waiting to crush the maniacs.

09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks very much for the replies, and for helping a new guy out. Your advice makes a lot of sense. I will definitely be picking up HFAP. Anyone want to weigh in on the second question? How far would you go with say AK after missing the flop, HU, vs. one of these maniacs (he's betting into you, of course)?

Bluffoon
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Against one my default would be to call him down. Against more than one I am more often than not dumping AK quickly so as not to get trapped between to raisers. Notice I do not answer in absolutes. There are many factors that go into the play of each individual hand. Your opponent's tendencies, your image (how your opponent percieves you) and the texture of the board among other things. For instance, does your opponent bet with nothing or do they need at least bottom pair. Will they push a draw? Have you been folding alot lately? Calling down? Are there draws on the board? And so on...

jba
09-15-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks very much for the replies, and for helping a new guy out. Your advice makes a lot of sense. I will definitely be picking up HFAP. Anyone want to weigh in on the second question? How far would you go with say AK after missing the flop, HU, vs. one of these maniacs (he's betting into you, of course)?

[/ QUOTE ]

going to showdown unimproved can be fine *on certain boards* if the guy will often bet at you with nothing on every street.

check out this recent HUSH post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3409422&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

edit: I added the "on certain boards" qualifier --- some boards are too scary too call down on.