PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain...

zoobird
09-14-2005, 09:51 AM
...why everyone says AK is a hand that's best when you get to see all streets? I always hear this, but have never heard a good explanation. And more generally, I'd like to hear what other hands this is true of.

zoobird
09-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Ok, I'm impatient, so I'll reply to myself. I think it must have something to do with how much of the relevant information (cards that would make the hand more valuable) is known pre-flop vs. on the flop vs. not known until the turn or river. To take easy examples, a hand like AA relies much less on what comes on the flop, turn, and river. A hand like 54s you're usually going to be able to throw away after the flop, but AK you still are missing 40% (2 of the 5 cards) of the information that would likely make it a winning hand until you see the turn and river. Not sure I explained that well, but hopefully it will make sense to some people and I can get some feedback on it.

zambonidrivr
09-14-2005, 10:04 AM
coin flips and desparate situations are often decided by making pairs. With AK, you have 2 high cards, that are about even money against all other pairs... and dominate all other aces. Seeing all 5 cards? Most flops miss hands. Seeing 5 cards improves your probability.

short and unscientific explaninaton

Copernicus
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm impatient, so I'll reply to myself. I think it must have something to do with how much of the relevant information (cards that would make the hand more valuable) is known pre-flop vs. on the flop vs. not known until the turn or river. To take easy examples, a hand like AA relies much less on what comes on the flop, turn, and river. A hand like 54s you're usually going to be able to throw away after the flop, but AK you still are missing 40% (2 of the 5 cards) of the information that would likely make it a winning hand until you see the turn and river. Not sure I explained that well, but hopefully it will make sense to some people and I can get some feedback on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youve basically got it right. The discussion of wanting to take AK to the river is usually in the context of face offs between "premium" hands, especially in race situations. Since AK is a "Drawing hand" compared to most of the hands it races with (pairs), and with 6 outs compared to the pairs 2 outs, the more cards you see the more likely you are to pull ahead.

Eg in a race AKo vs 99, AK is ahead on the flop 31% of the time, on the turn 38% of the time and on the river 44%, so its gaining value while the 99s are losing value.

zoobird
09-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Makes sense. Interesting that some drawing hands (like 54s) would usually lose all their value on the flop, while others (like AKo) wouldn't.