PDA

View Full Version : Playing naked nut low draws

XxPenguinxX
09-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm only currently playing limit O8 until I get enough hands under my belt to feel like I can go at pot limit with a decent understanding of the game.

So far, the biggest conundrum I've come up against is playing naked A2 nut low draws post flop. I draw a distinction with A3 or 23 nut low draws, because the chances are much less that you're going to get quartered, and also I've seen a lot of people chase a fourth low card with a counterfeited A2, not realising that if they don't hit the wheel their low will lose anyway.

I subscribe to the theory that if you have a strong draw (15 outs or more) to lead with it, and try to get money in the pot from those who are chasing weaker or more unlikely draws. However, with a naked A2 (ie no foreseeable chance of scooping high), I've recently started to notice that when my draw hits and I win half, I don't make that much profit, when I miss I lose quite a bit, and I get quartered too often for comfort.

So my question is: would you lead with a naked A2 draw, or check/call? Would you fold to a bet and a raise in front of you?

Cheers

09-14-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So my question is: would you lead with a naked A2 draw, or check/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-call only if multiway with fishy players in who passively pay off with non-nut lows or highs. But in general, check-fold is a better strategy.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you fold to a bet and a raise in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a heartbeat.

Ironman
09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
The answer depends on:

1. how many people are in the pot
2. quality of your opponents
3. configuration of the board
4. your position

If you feel that your opponents are on a draw to the high side, then charge them extra to draw. Be careful when it gets down to you and two opponents, that's when you can lose money when you are quartered.

By the way, I would not necessarily fold my naked nut low draw with a bet and a raise in front of me...just the fact that more money is going into this pot doesn't mean I want out of it.

In fact, depending on my opponents, I might be interested in raising back.

Last night I played 3/6 over at UB. Full Table. According to Pokertracker:

Three of my opponents had VPIPs of less than 12, there was me at 21%, a good aggressive player at 25% and the other 5 were north of 50%.

So, it would depend on which one of those players is doing the betting and raising.

Sure, you've got to play the cards...but you need to play the opponent too. Know who you are playing against.

Dave

Buzz
09-15-2005, 11:12 PM
How often you figure to get quartered with ace-deuce-X-Y depends on the number of opponents who have been dealt cards, but with eight or nine opponents, as in a full game, you figure to get quartered or sixthed roughly two times out of five.

If you're playing in a very tight game where an average of two or three people see the flop, and suddenly five opponents enter the action, then probably at least one of them has A2XY.

But in a looser game, where an average of six or seven opponents regularly see the flop, eight or nine seeing the flop doesn't mean much in terms of an increased chance of running into another A2XY. However, it probably does mean the number of low cards in the stub is reduced.

Then you have to go from there. The value in the hand is in collecting from opponents who chase all the way to the showdown with non-nut lows. If people like that are involved in the hand, then it's probably profitable to see another card even though you're just playing for low.

Trouble is, there's about a 25% chance of getting counterfeited on the turn or river.

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is: would you lead with a naked A2 draw, or check/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably lead.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you fold to a bet and a raise in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, that would depend quite a bit on who was involved. Against unknowns, folding seems a good choice.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Burdzthewurd
09-15-2005, 11:19 PM
If I raise A2xx preflop (I rarely raise it naked unless HU in the blinds, usually have at least a 3 or 4 with an Ace-suited, and of course, AA2x), I'm going to lead the flop 98% of the time if I flop a low draw that doesn't counterfeit me.