PDA

View Full Version : time required for hand analysis during the game online??

09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi there,
This is my very post here even though i have read and learned quite a bit over the past.
My question is this:
the approach thought by HOH on hand analysis is to try to put your opponent in a range of hands, based on different factors such as past plays,position,M,Q etc and try to calculate how your hand would stand against this range of hands. then based on your pot odds you can draw a conclusion on how to proceed with the hand.
what im wondering is,how are you meant to do all that in space of short time.
for example how can you
1.put your opponent on range of hands.
2. Calculate your hand against this range.
3. Calculate the odds offered on the hand.
4. Proceed with the play
How can you do all that online in space of for example 45sec that you have before the software folds you hand?
i understand that it obviously comes quicker to you with practice but just how much quicker and just how much practice is needed for you to be able to do that sufficiently in the given time.
Thanks in advance for replies and apologies if its a long one.

zambonidrivr
09-14-2005, 08:59 AM
practice makes perfect.
get the software: pokeroffice... and it will help with many of the calcualtions and provide screen overlays of your opponents. best $60 you will ever spend

09-14-2005, 01:16 PM
It's a bit tough.. like PS gives you a 60 second time bank for the entire tournament (the smaller ones anyway), and then like 20 seconds to act on a hand before it's activated.. that's tough when faced with a big decision.. I mean, even pro players take a few minutes making big choices..

Here are some shortcuts.. look at the pot odds.. if it's more than 3:1, your hand analysis doesn't need to be done because you'll always get the odds.. if it's 2:1, you'll usually get more than a 33% win rate with hand analysis (unless you put a lot of weight on an overpair or something).. if it's less than 2:1, just sum up the numbers quickly and don't be exact.. also, have a calculator by your side if you'd like.. helps big