PDA

View Full Version : Help Obtaining Wireless Connection in the Classroom

PartySNGer
09-14-2005, 07:54 AM
I go to Nebraska-Omaha and it isn't really a full wireless campus. In the business building I think there are a few routers, but my Netgear wireless card can only get 1 bar and it can't get a wireless connection. Is there some kind or range extender or stronger wireless card that could help me get connected? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff so I'm sure there is some kind of solution, but I have no idea what it is. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

StevieG
09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there some kind or range extender or stronger wireless card that could help me get connected?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can get antenna to increase your range. You will need a wireless PCMCIA card that has an external antenna jack.

Here is an example antenna link (http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/wireless-laptop-antenna.php)

I have not used this antenna or the Buffalo card they adovcate.

PartySNGer
09-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks, looks like it might be a solid option. Do you think I would be forced to get the Buffalo card or do you think my current wireless card would probably work just fine with the antenna?

CrazyN8
09-14-2005, 04:41 PM
google, "cantenna". A Pringles can works best. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

StevieG
09-14-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, looks like it might be a solid option. Do you think I would be forced to get the Buffalo card or do you think my current wireless card would probably work just fine with the antenna?

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be able to do it with your current card. Does it have a jack for external antenna? I have a proxim card that does, but a linksys card that does not.

And as CrazyN8 alludes to, you can build your own antenna if you want that will work pretty well. Lots of instructions out on the Web.