PDA

View Full Version : View From the Cut-Off Seat

Howard Burroughs
05-02-2003, 05:21 AM
I'm going to start putting up a post each Monday on the N,V&G forum. It will tell you where our WPDG is meeting that week. If you find yourself in Las Vegas on a Wednesday (or maybe you live here), if you feel like talking poker & eating lunch with us, please come on by. We'd love to meet you.

A few years back, Dave in California, Matt Lessinger & Al Schoonmaker would often meet for breakfast in Atlantic City and talk poker.

When Alan moved to Las Vegas in early 2001, Al, Matt & myself started a Las Vegas Wednesday Poker Discussion Group (WPDG). Matt soon moved to California but Al & I are still here.

A few of the nice people who have come by for a visit over the past two years........

Roy Cooke, Doug Dalton, skp, Mason Malmuth, Puggy Pearson, Clarkmeister, Mike Sexton, Doc Earle, Jan Fisher, Dynasty, Lou Krieger, MBE, Linda Johnson, Mike Sexton, Major Kong, the Poker Babe, Jim Brier, Barry Tanenbaum, Nolan Dalla, Frank "Lumpy Rutherford" Bank, Rich Korbin, Jason V, Russ Hamilton & Dan Negreanu.

You never know who will show up but most weeks, it's just a bunch of regular folks like you & me.

Anyway, you are invited to come by if/when you come into town.

I have got some PM's from people wanting to get my group letter. Some have not told me where to send it. Some e-mails I've lost (sorry about that guys). Anyway, below is a letter I sent out to some friends.

It might not be your cup of tea (it's kind of small town folksy).

btw, The chinese retaurant joke pertains to a place we were all meeting until the health department closed them down one day.

Greetings Poker Enthusiasts,

The month of May has arrived and the WSOP is in full bloom, Barry's first Card Player Pokerbear's Den column has hit the streets, Nolan's Championship write-ups are all over the net and the live action in Vegas (as well as other venues) is alive & kicking.

The WPT show last night had Ivey and Flack showing how great players can make their own luck. Watching Howard Lederer pick off a Lane Flack bluff was like watching Jackie Gleason work the stick against Paul Newman in The Hustler. Subtle nuances with profound grace.

God I love this game.

We are at Stallion Mountain next week (May 7th). I'll send out a reminder and directions on Monday.

We are expecting visitors from England, Georgia & California next week. It should be a great day. We wish Ray Morris-Hill a deep run in his WSOP bracelet pursuit next week.

Welcome David Edwards to the group. He was at his first meeting yesterday. David likes playing at Mandalay Bay. Welcome to the WPDG David.

For newer attendees of the group discussion, an overview of how most Wednesday's work.

1) From 2:00 to 3:00 we eat lunch and shoot the breeze with friends about anything and everything in no organized fashion. There are usually several different conversations going on in the room at this time. At Stallion Mountain, the dining is full service. Whether at Stallion or Jason's or The Chinese s.a.r.s buffet (Some-asian-restaurant-slop), we encourage everyone to order something off the menu for lunch to help support the WPDG establishment of the week.

2) At approximately 3:00 we try to get everyone on the same page and have undivided attention for the group part of the day. Please refrain from side conversations during this part of the day. If there is any topic you want discussed or have any questions just let us know. It's your group.

We send Richard our best on a speedy hip replacement recovery. Your friends miss you Richard &
Jill.

Get well soon!

Sklansky & Malmuth at the Mirage:

I recently commented that for a poker player, standing in a buffet line with Sklansky & Malmuth is like a 70's cop show freak getting to go on a stakeout with Starsky & Hutch. I thought the buffet idea was great. As for the Seminar, I concur with Earl that it was the best one so far (& I've been to all four of them from the last 24 months).

One nugget from the seminar that might be a "Well Duh" for most of you deep thinkers, but was/is an interesting thing to ponder for me.

They were talking about the pros & cons of raising from the big blind with Ace-King. Sklansky then says something along the lines of........Look, one thing you have to realize is that when you raise from the big blind with your AK, your chance of winning that particular pot just went down by raising. You will win more money when you drag a pot but you will win fewer pots.

While maybe not his exact words, I believe that's the jist of what he said in regards to that great William Shakespeare inquisitorial, "To raise or not to raise (with AK from the BB), that is the question".

I'm extrapolating from that, that raising from the BB with AK would generally yield higher EV, but that saying "run'em" to the dealer is more variance friendly.

If I'm interpreting Sklansky's comments in the wrong light, please interject.

Of course there was a lot of other great poker strategy at the 2+2 seminar but that (AK in the BB) was one of my favorite parts.

Oasis After Dark:

I'll send out a reminder next week about the Mesquite Oasis Open Poker Tournament right around the corner. This is a great get together. I hope to see a lot of you there.

The Den's pen:

Don't forget to check out Barry's new article at www.cardplayer.com (http://www.cardplayer.com)

Barry had a great hand for us to talk about yesterday. I'll put a re-cap of it in next week's letter if that is okay with Barry. I think you'll really enjoy it.

River of No Return:

There's been a lot of talk at the deli of late of people making big laydowns on the river and finding out they folded the best hand in a BIG pot.

Flashback:

July 2001. The Orleans big ballroom. A packed house. The World Poker Player's conference sponsored by Card Player Cruises. Howard Lederer speaks into the microphone podium addressing the crowd of knowledge starved card enthusiasts................

"In limit poker, DON"T take fine reads and make big laydowns at the river".

Amen brother!

That one nugget has paid for itself many times over. Throwing away the winning hand in a big pot is gut wrenching. We've all done it. I do it a lot less since Big Howard spoke on that hot summer day back in 2001.

They call me Mr Tibbs!

There's been many a poker nickname over the years for an assortment of famous players such as "Slim", "Texas Dolly", "Sailor", "Kid Ice", "Treetop", "Puggy", "Eskimo" & "Miami John".

But what about a weekend hacker like me?

I could call myself "River Howard" or "Hold'em Howie". No, too weak.

Well, I come to find out that I've already been given a poker nickname by some players from Canada about six months ago & I did not even know it until Tuesday night.

I was playing poker at one of my favorite rooms when all of a sudden I hear a buzz going around the room that "Johnny Tight" is in the room. When they call me to the main game I have been waiting for, a young man comes walking up to the player on my right and says to his friend in a low forceful voice, "If Johnny Tight is in a pot with you and he bets or raises, GET OUT FAST. He's got the goods!"

As I'm eves dropping, I'm thinking this is good information to have. If there's a rock at my table who is only peddling the nuts, I want to know about it.

Well the player on my right soon starts up a conversation with me. It turns out that he is a policeman in Canada. him & his buddies are vacationing in Las Vegas and are playing a little poker. They were in Las Vegas 6 months ago and his buddy at the other table (the one who warned him about tangling with Johnny Tight) lost a little more money playing poker on his last trip then he would have liked. His buddy went back to Canada, bought some poker books and has been living, breathing and studying the great card game of Texas Hold'em for his return visit with lady luck at the Las Vegas poker tables.

They are a real nice bunch of guys. The Canadian policeman on my right asks me my name. I tell him it's Howard. He informs me that they all played cards with me several times on their last visit and they always refer to me as "Johnny Tight" (because they did not know my name).

Wow, I'm the Johnny Tight that half the room has been talking about.
Considering the fact that......

A) Some of the hands I've been known to drag big pots with are embarrassingly "non-tight" starting hands.

B) No one ever gave me a poker nickname before.

I was flattered by my new Johnny Tight Moniker.

Just call me J.T.

Well that's all for now. We've got a date with a card game. After which it will either be Ruth Chris' Steak House or Taco Bell. Only the river knows.

See you at Stallion Mountain

Best of Luck

Johnny Tight