The last few hands have given me an aggro image

Hero 2085
Big Stack 2550
Button 1670
SB 2085
Villain in BB 1610

Blinds (50/100)
Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero raises to 400 (my standard raise here is to 300)
Folds to Villain
Villain calls

Pot = 850
Flop 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain checks
Hero bets 400
Villain calls

Pot = 1650
Turn: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain checks
Hero checks

Pot = 1650
River: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain bets 400
Hero calls

Hand 2:

UTG 2530
Hero 2880
Button 1750
SB 2490
BB Shorty 350

Blinds (50/100)

Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG folds
Hero raises to 400 (can't raise to 350 on Bodog)

Hand #2 is a new play for me, and I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the play in general. Hand #1 was just frustrating. I don't know how to play with roughly even stacks on the bubble with low blinds.

deathpotato
09-14-2005, 03:44 AM
On hand one I probably make it 300 preflop, this makes your continuation bet of 400 warrant more respect. As the hand played out you definitely have to call the river, I like the check on the turn because it may induce a bet from a weaker flush or a single pair.

On hand two I'd really have to know what you have to be able to give an opinion.

Hopefully I'm making sense, but if not I'm going to claim it's because I'm sick and tired..

09-14-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On hand one I probably make it 300 preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I always raise to 300 there unless I have a good hand and think I have a loose image. Anyone think this is smart/dumb?

[ QUOTE ]

On hand two I'd really have to know what you have to be able to give an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Can I pretend I did that on purpose. I do, however, do this with a very wide range.

applejuicekid
09-14-2005, 03:51 AM
Yes, I agree with everything deathpotato just said.

applejuicekid
09-14-2005, 03:53 AM
Oh, nice you just edited right before I posted. I prefer a fold on hand 2. Why the need to try to knock the shorty out?

deathpotato
09-14-2005, 04:00 AM
If you aren't playing with people you don't expect to play with often, increasing the size of your raise with a very strong hand when you think you are more likely than usual to be called can be very reasonable. With a hand like AQ, though, the postflop play is much easier with a slightly smaller pot, so I'd prefer a raise of 300.

In hand 2, I don't see why you want to put pressure on the shortstack. If you take him out you will have a bigger lead on the others, but the blinds are so low that you will not be able to exploit it very well for a while.

Sykes
09-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Something I like to do in hand #2 is min-raise. My reasoning is that button is unlikely to call for 1/9th of his stack without a decent hand, and if sb is going to call a raise, it's doesn't matter if it's 150 or 250.

This way, you lose the minimum while gaining the most.

09-14-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Something I like to do in hand #2 is min-raise. My reasoning is that button is unlikely to call for 1/9th of his stack without a decent hand, and if sb is going to call a raise, it's doesn't matter if it's 150 or 250.

This way, you lose the minimum while gaining the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I hope that stays in my mind until the next time I see this spot.

09-14-2005, 05:59 AM
I think you played the first one OK though I also raise to 275-300 preflop not 400.

The second one I fold preflop. Blinds are too small to be getting overly pushy and there's no rush to get involved. Not saying it's wrong to raise but I personally would fold.

09-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Wow. I thought hand #2 was an obvious raise. I'm really shocked that people disagree.

09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm reminded of a thread on the HUSH forum a year or 2 ago, someone reviewed their pokertracker stats and was surprised that he had lost money playing QT UTG in 6 player game. Lots of people chimed in that QT is garbage. In 6 player game I even folded KJ UTG never mind QT but I digress. Anyhow he plugged a leak and good for him.

In this hand of yours, hey if you're stealing there's always an argument to be made for that no matter what your hand is but if you get played with, well as poker hands go in general QT is a piece of garbage.

Good luck.

microbet
09-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Like everyone said, I don't see why you should raise extra on Hand 1 preflop.

I would probably play post flop like you did, but I think you are ahead on the river and are not very unlikely to get a call if you minraise. It's risky, but there may very well be 400 more chips there for you.

Second hand: I don't like the theory in general. I don't go out of my way to try to bust a short stack in situations like this.