PDA

View Full Version : Drinking for dieters

frostbrn
09-14-2005, 03:15 AM
I normally always play better poker with at least a few drinks in my system, but recently I've been gaining a bit of weight and have decided to go on a diet and get on a regular excercise schedule. I was gangbusters on it for a month, but hardly lost any weight. I'm pretty sure it's my drinking while playing poker that is holding me back (I play almost every night). Normally I drink micro brews, and every now and then i'll drink mixed drinks and hard liquor while I play.

So my question is, what is the lowest calorie way to get a good drinking buzz going (for me this is about 3 drinks/hour). I'm open to any type of alcohol (no matter how nasty of a drink it is), I just need to find a way to get my poker buzz going without erasing all of my work at losing weight.

unreal_nh
09-14-2005, 03:16 AM
vodka?

nothumb
09-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Just drink until you puke Dude.

Barring that, Listerine.

NT

09-14-2005, 04:34 AM
vodka shots have 100 calories each. Similar to a light beer.

unreal_nh
09-14-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh... didnt know that

how about everclear?

Blarg
09-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Drinking for Dieters? Is this like tanning for shut-ins?

Every one of the calories is extra. Not to knock drinking, but especially at your three drinks per hour, you'd better not have many drinking nights if you don't want to put on weight.

Argus
09-14-2005, 04:46 AM
All alcohol is pretty calorific since ethanol is full of calories. Beer and wine have carbs too, so your best bet is probably a clear alcohol (less sugars). I recommend vodka or gin with diet tonic. If aspartame isn't to your liking subsitute soda water.

MrTrik
09-14-2005, 05:51 AM
If you are interested low carb diet, I'm not talking an all out one like Atkins, but more like South Beach, then you have decent options.

In South Beach and similar diets you eat good carbs and balance fiber against fat. You do get to eat carbs, protiens, and fats. There are plenty of things on the phase I, II, and III lists to eat and some things you should stay away from. No calorie counting and no carb gram counting either. Just lists of foods to stick to, mostly avoid, and completely avoid.

To the point: If you go with such plan then vodka w/ diet Mist or diet sprite or Rum and diet cola are options. So is Gin and diet Tonic. Add lime or lemon to any of those. Also you can go a bloody mary route if you choose very carefully and don't do it every day. Add Tobasco.

Reef
09-14-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, same with rum, etc.. I did not know this. thx for bringing it to my attention

jaydub
09-14-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh... didnt know that

how about everclear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alcohol has 6 calories per gram by itself which is in addition to 4 cals for carbs.

Alcohol has negative effects on dieting far beyond simple calories though. The best write up I know of is part of the Chemically Correct series. Part 1 (http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php?issueID=3&pageID=53) and Part 2 (http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php?issueID=4&pageID=59)

If you still want to diet and drink, the best choice is going to be your favorite hard liquor with diet soda, eg vodka + diet 7up.

IndieMatty
09-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Pot, use a blender and ice.

RunDownHouse
09-14-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, same with rum, etc.. I did not know this. thx for bringing it to my attention

[/ QUOTE ]
Liquors of 80 proof and above have less than 100 calories. Something to do with the sugars being converted/burnt off/distilled away at high proofs. I believe its somewhere between 60-80 calories, so not much difference, but still.

IndieMatty
09-14-2005, 09:57 AM
The correct answer is the least amount of calories you can ingest that is equivalent to one "drink" is a Rum and Diet Coke.

Remember though that alcohol, spikes insulin and fucks with your metabolism (slows). It's really hard not to drink more than 1/2 nights a week and be in good shape unless you have a great metabolism.

astroglide
09-14-2005, 11:33 AM
vodka shots are 50 calories according to most research on the web

and buddy, if you don't lose weight in your first month of dieting, you weren't dieting. it's ridiculously easy to lose weight when you first start.

bdohaney
09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Try exercise.

Cancer Merchant
09-14-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

And mixing booze with your post-sweat gatorade.

But seriously, hard alcohol with diet mixers is probably the way to go. A decent diet drink is whiskey with the new 0-calorie lemonades.

phil_ivey_fan
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I normally always play better poker with at least a few drinks in my system, but recently I've been gaining a bit of weight and have decided to go on a diet and get on a regular excercise schedule. I was gangbusters on it for a month, but hardly lost any weight. I'm pretty sure it's my drinking while playing poker that is holding me back (I play almost every night). Normally I drink micro brews, and every now and then i'll drink mixed drinks and hard liquor while I play.

So my question is, what is the lowest calorie way to get a good drinking buzz going (for me this is about 3 drinks/hour). I'm open to any type of alcohol (no matter how nasty of a drink it is), I just need to find a way to get my poker buzz going without erasing all of my work at losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

go for kettleone and water with a slice of lime. maybe a dash of monster energy drink for slighly added flavor. This drink really grows on you. been my mixed drink of choice for a little over a year now. Sometimes I mix it up with Van Gogh Dutch Choc Vodka and water

InchoateHand
09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I've found exercise to work.

frostbrn
09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the vodka/diet sodas a shot. And just FYI I do exercise more than regularly (2 hockey games a week, plus 2 miles every morning). I should really keep track of my ROI during my regular 3 drinks/hour sessions vs. my ROI while playing without any alcohol. I'm sure it's almost a 3:2 ratio in favor of the alcohol as I normally play far too tight and not nearly aggresive enough when I am not drinking.

Thanks again for the tips!