PDA

View Full Version : Ever find yourself doing this?

09-14-2005, 01:46 AM
I was discussing an important real life decision with someone in my family, and upset that they just WOULDNT see it the way I was trying to explain it... so after some thought, I tried it a different way...

"Its like this. Im on the bubble, and I want to finish in the money. Most people would think this is where you'd just tighten up and hope to ride it out, but now is when I need to be the most aggressive, and really make a stand"

haha, they looked at me very strangely

but you get my point, do yall find yourselves in the position of making a tough decision, and it becomes clearer when you think of it as a poker hand?

geo8o2
09-14-2005, 01:49 AM
if i was a football player i would be 72o

shant
09-14-2005, 01:53 AM
If I was your dad I would've slapped you.

Hoss1193
09-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Yep, that's happened to me a couple of times. The funny thing is that poker has gotten popular enough that even folks who I know don't regularly play sometimes then get exactly what I'm saying with the poker analogy.

tek
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
It might help if you talk like sup bro to your friends. Use the third person, brag, etc.

sfer
09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I was in a meeting and a big decision was described as an all-in decision. The meeting sucked. So did the analogy.

flair1239
09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
If it helps to think that way do it in your head.

I work as a project manager for an electrical contractor. Almost everyday I am making risk vs. reward type decisions. Poker has really helped to condition my thinking in these situations; for instance not going to war over a $500 change order on a $200,000 job.

Or weighting the probabilty of the job going really well vs. really bad and incorporating that into a competitive bid.

However when interacting with the general public, family included, I avoid poker analogies... as a matter of fact I try to avoid analogies of any kind. Just say what you mean... it is a lot easier on everybody.

09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
When I get into an argument with my wife I think like this sometimes. She'll fire a statement at me (and I do mean fire) and I will literally think in terms of calling, raising or folding.

I've found that calling or folding are usually the best options. The 10-15 percent chance that she will start crying makes the long term EV for raising extremely negative. I'm usually OOP and am forced to fold to this LAG maniac. I'm not big on being a calling station, but I do implore the occasional call down to keep her from running over me too often.

XXXNoahXXX
09-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Your avatar is cooler than mine. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

tek
09-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Flair, do you play at Turtle Lake?

EStreet20
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Nice avatar, extremely lame statement. And no, I don't say things like that because I'm not a tool. Real life and poker are two entirely different things. In addition your thinking about play on the bubble seems pretty flawed.

Go get 'em you lord of the lingo (Cue Real Men of Genius music),

Matt

Escape
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was your dad I would've slapped you.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha agreed.

flair1239
09-14-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flair, do you play at Turtle Lake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have about 5 or 6 times.

Just 2/4 with my girlfriend. Never really serious.

I thought about going over a couple weeks ago to see if they had a 5/10 game going.... but... playing at home is just so much easier.

SmackinYaUp
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I tell my friend that parachuting is -ev. What is he gaining and what is he risking?

09-15-2005, 12:44 PM
haha, I cant believe you guys went on and on about this... I was being totally sarcastic..

my father is the type that would have just shook his head at this and walked away. I do however think about things in term of poker-esque risk vs. reward.... but only in my head.

hee hee, sarcasm rules.

dammit, now I just keep staring at my avatar.

09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
haha, I cant believe you guys went on and on about this... I was being totally sarcastic..

my father is the type that would have just shook his head at this and walked away. I do however think about things in term of poker-esque risk vs. reward.... but only in my head.

hee hee, sarcasm rules.

oh, by the way, thanks for calling me a tool, jackass

pudley4
09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hee hee, sarcasm rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

double-post...then edit one and leave the other.

brilliant.

<font color="white"> yuo = teh tool </font>

EStreet20
09-15-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hee hee, sarcasm rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Goalie dives for a last second attempt at the save!!!!

And comes up short!!!!

Game Over