PDA

View Full Version : Is this fold ever profitable at the low limits?

09-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
1 fold</font>, MP calls, 1 fold</font>, Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (4 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets</font>, Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

I had only been at the table for a couple orbits. Normally, I would check, call this river but I really want to tweak those extra leaks so I decided to go with the bet/fold rather than check/call or bet/call (I normally don't ever fold this river in such a large pot). However, with only a few hands on the villian in PT, I made this fold because they seemed solid, at least that is what I got from this previous hand:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls, 1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, [color=#CC3333]SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, CO raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

At these limits, is my play of folding a mediocre hand in a 13BB pot for one bet in the first hand ever really profitable at these limits?

P.S. I am new to using the converter, but can anyone tell me how to get rid of [color=#CC3333]? Someone told me to use a text editor to change all the = signs to : If this is true, can you also recommend a good text editor to use /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bodhi
09-14-2005, 12:50 AM
In hand #1, unless you have a very good read, don't bet the river unless you're willing to call a raise. Check-calling is ok I think because the river just completed 3 different draws: the gutshot, the flush, and any donk who was hoping to spike a single pair.

Hand #2 is standard.

DCWildcat
09-14-2005, 12:55 AM
I really don't like a bet in the first hand. While you might lose the occasional value bet, check/calling will probably be made up by the times you catch him bluffing at the ace, and you don't expose yourself to a raise.

09-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Oh, I forgot to post the result for hand two. Villian had AA. I wasn't worried about the way I played it; I was just showing the hand as one of the reasons why I got the vibe they were solid.

ebranig
09-14-2005, 02:41 AM
I hate the limp in hand #2 6-handed. I think fold&gt;raise&gt;call.

Sarge85
09-14-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm suprised by two posters saying not to bet the river in hand one -

I'm step in the minority and say a bet fold on the river is fine.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

09-14-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the limp in hand #2 6-handed. I think fold&gt;raise&gt;call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing this up because I do tend to have trouble with low pairs from EP and it is something I didn't notice before. I don't like raising mediocre hands (if you can even call a small pair mediocre) UTG, but my previous opinion was that folding a pair at a loose table, even shorthanded, is giving up too much. As of now, the only pairs I will fold UTG are dueces/treys and only if the table is particularly tight and/or aggressive.

Petteri
09-14-2005, 03:40 AM
In hand no. 1 if you have good reads that raiser is solid player who rarely bluffs, you can fold. Anyhow you must have reads.

I do not see you winning this hand even 5 % of the time if Button is playing solid poker.

@bsolute_luck
09-14-2005, 06:31 AM
i'm relatively new to 6-max, so forgive for the preflop question:

are both these preflop plays standard? calling a raise with KTo even in BB in a protected pot and limping UTG with 44? just wondering because i usually fold these, but maybe i should begin to loosen up /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nick Royale
09-14-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this fold ever profitable at the low limits?

[/ QUOTE ]
Making +EV folds is dificult at any level.

ErrantNight
09-14-2005, 08:01 AM
i think the number of times an opponent bluffs at the ace when you check are small, and i think the number of times your opponent is bluffing when you bet this and they raise are small. i think bet/fold is the correct line, and hand #2 is fine.

there are plenty of times when betting with the intention of folding to a raise is the correct play. this is one of them.

ebranig
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
You play low pocket pairs to flop sets and win big pots. For this to happen you want many players, frequently you won't get this at 6-max.

jat850
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Hand 1 I do not see any real difference between c/c and bet/fold to raise on hand 1. Read and image dependant.

Hand 2 easy fold - no set no bet. You want to draw for your set cheap and when you do not get it - the majority of the time, you quickly dispose of the trash.

ErrantNight
09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
there's a huge difference between bet/fold and c/c and there always is. a lot of factors get involved. how much more likely is your hand to be best when your bet is called v. when you check and call a bet? how much, if any, fold equity do you gain by betting? how necessary is it to showdown this hand? how confident can you be when you bet that if you're raised that you can fold? and last, but not nearly leastly, how many times when you check does a worse hand that would have called your bet check behind you?

i think you can feel incredibly confident in your capacity to fold to a raise here, there are worse hands that will call you (that would check behind you if you do), and very few hands that bet this river that you call that you beat. all this adds up to bet/fold.