PDA

View Full Version : Is this an easy call?

DMACM
09-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t525)
SB (t4485)
BB (t720)
UTG (t770)
MP (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">[i] utg folds, mp all in, Hero?

Wes ManTooth
09-14-2005, 12:34 AM
very easy

MegaBet
09-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Checking with the little devil that sits on my shoulder...

...yeah he says this is about as clear a call as you can ever get!

lastchance
09-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Rapidly clicks call as many times as he can.

ilya
09-14-2005, 12:51 AM
With 1500, it could be a fold. With 500, it's a super-clear call.

09-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Assuming no reads, what hand range should the OP being calling with in this situation?

lorinda
09-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Let's do this backwards.

You tell us why you could fold it, and we'll look at the reasoning.

I can think of one or two valid points and although they probably won't be enough, it would be interesting to see how you're weighting the values.

Lori

DMACM
09-14-2005, 02:55 AM
I called this rapidly and I didnt lose the hand but the reason for my doubt is that MP with his chip stack and position should have about the smallest pushing range on the table and many players have pushing ranges even smaller than they should. If im him I dont push without AJo+ or 77+, (perhaps this is too tight?) I consider my hand likely to be only slightly ahead of his range plus the gap concept made this seem like it could be close to me.

lorinda
09-14-2005, 03:02 AM
The trouble with applying the gap concept here is that you don't really have much chance to use it to your advantage anymore. That is, you are so short stacked that unless you get the raise in soon, you're going to have to win a showdown.

I don't think the range you are applying is at all bad but for the sake of argument, you're 50-50 against that range and getting the protection of his stack in the pot when you call, so you're likely getting a shootout for considerably more than a double through.

If you do survive this, you're sitting very pretty for an ITM, while if you fold, you still need to make something special happen.

I think the reasons for your doubt are excellent. I was wondering about an excessively loose SB as another possible and also the lingering hope that you could outlast the other shorties. Your reasons were better than mine.

At the end of the day though, you're simply getting too good odds about this shot. It's not just the pot odds, but the comfortable position you get into if you should win it in relation to the other stacks.

Keep reasoning like you are though and I imagine you'll be absolutely fine.

Lori

DMACM
09-14-2005, 03:15 AM
thanks