PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to buy a stack?

Chris Callahan
09-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Let's say at the end of a typical online SNG there are four players left with stacks of 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000. Blinds are 100/200, button position is unknown. You are given the chance to buy one of the stacks for a "fair price", perhaps determined using the ICM (which gives rough $EV of 13%, 24%, 29%, and 34% respectively).

Which one would you buy and why? What would be your second and third choices?

--- Chris Callahan

valejo
09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I'll buy the big stack. I trust ICM, and I don't have the patience to play the longshot. I'd rather win more often at smaller margins.

Bigwig
09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd buy the small stack everytime.

bawcerelli
09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
i'd buy the small stack, and just aggro it up, using better pushbot skills to gain the extra value.

2nd choice would be big stack. again, using aggro pushbot.

09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Depends on the buy-in. At my low stakes, I'm taking the short stack and should be able to make the money a huge percentage of the time. High buy-ins, I take the big stack and bully.

citanul
09-14-2005, 12:12 AM
i buy none of them, and start a sng instead.

you didn't say i was forced to pick one, just that i had the chance.

i know that i start with more than 1/10 the field's equity, whereas icm semi accurately predicts late game equity.

citanul

swiftrhett
09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Buying anything at fair price is a waste of time. Buy low, sell high! The price that people are willing to pay for the stack is a much better way of determining its true value, over ICM.

Apathy
09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i know that i start with more than 1/10 the field's equity, whereas icm semi accurately predicts late game equity.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

nit.

I take the big stack, ship it holla.

Chris Callahan
09-14-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

You might not be able to avoid this choice. Let's say the chip positions are as above and you are the 2k stack. You are faced with an all-in from the 4k stack. The ICM tells you it is $EV=0. Now you have to guess whether it is worth enough extra to be a 4k stack and if it's enough to make the gamble worth it.

By the way, not only am I giving you a rake-free entry, you also get to enter directly in a lucrative phase of the tournament, *and* you get to choose your favorite stack. How can you turn this down? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

--- Chris Callahan

Chris Callahan
09-14-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buying anything at fair price is a waste of time. Buy low, sell high! The price that people are willing to pay for the stack is a much better way of determining its true value, over ICM.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, cool. How much would you pay for each stack?