PDA

View Full Version : I'm a cheap bastard

scotty34
09-13-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm starting up my third year of college now. This year, I've decided to live off campus (in an expensive area), and between rising tuition, less scholarship money, and less help from the folks, I've decided that I am very poor this year.

My roomate and I are trying to do things as cheaply as we can, and get whatever we can for free whenever possible. Examples of how cheap we are:
-we steal wireless internet from an open connection (which has a really weak signal, and results in constant disconnects /images/graemlins/frown.gif)
-instead of buying condiments, we take copious amounts from local fast food joints. we never pay for salt, pepper, ketchup, margerine, mustard, mayo, peanut butter, jam etc.
-my roomate does not attend school, so he does not get a bus pass with tuition. we are going to try and find someone from my school who looks somewhat like him to sell us his if he has a car, or does not use the bus much. the passes sold for regular transit passengers are far too expensive
-I buy my textbooks, take them to the copy shop and photocopy them, then return them

Who's in my boat, and what other great ideas have you come up with (I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software)? Who has been through this in the past, any great stories?

lighterjobs
09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-I buy my textbooks, take them to the copy shop and photocopy them, then return them

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of copy shop are you going to?

don't most of them charge like $.05 per page or something?

JordanIB
09-13-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software)

[/ QUOTE ]

And intellectual property. And condiments.

scotty34
09-13-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

200 pages at 5 cents a page is 10 bucks

JordanIB
09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a textbook that was 200 pages.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

200 pages at 5 cents a page is 10 bucks

[/ QUOTE ]

scotty34
09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software)

[/ QUOTE ]

And intellectual property. And condiments.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK you got me on the first one, but the condiments are free.
Even if McDonald's sees me filling up a large jar of ketchup, you don't actually think they are going to ask me to put it back do you?

scotty34
09-13-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my textbooks cost on average $120, so unless they are 2400 pages, I'm doin OK.

JordanIB
09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my textbooks cost on average $120, so unless they are 2400 pages, I'm doin OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, fair point. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chesspain
09-14-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software

[/ QUOTE ]

...and transportation and copyrighted printed material and pretty much anything else from anyone whom I feel can afford it...

mmbt0ne
09-14-2005, 12:14 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
-instead of buying condiments, we take copious amounts from local fast food joints. we never pay for salt, pepper, ketchup, margerine, mustard, mayo, peanut butter, jam etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell fast food place has these?

BTW, quit being hood rich and just move into some place you can afford.

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software

[/ QUOTE ]

...and transportation and copyrighted printed material and pretty much anything else from anyone whom I feel can afford it...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so maybe its not a moral issue. More of an "I don't want to be caught with steaks in my pants" issue.

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most breakfast restaurants will have them. This does require me to actually purchase a meal there however for them to bring out the basket or rack.

Alobar
09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
a bottle of ketchup is like $2 freaking dollars. If you cant swing that, then you are retarded for moving into an expensive off campus place. And dont use that excuse that it will help yu for pussy or something, cuz how many chicks are gunna wanna bang you when they come over to study and you pull out your kinkos text book, and then offer to make her a sandwich with Arbys condiments?

Alobar
09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most breakfast restaurants will have them. This does require me to actually purchase a meal there however for them to bring out the basket or rack.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, and that brings up an excellent point. You cant afford ketchup, but you are eating fast food??

If you wanna save a couple hundred bucks a month, learn how to cook.

chesspain
09-14-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Even if McDonald's sees me filling up a large jar of ketchup, you don't actually think they are going to ask me to put it back do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's not stealing if some sixteen year old employee fails to confront you about being a thief? Actually, you sound like a weasle and a coward.

P.S. Don't they have student loans you could use at your cosmetology school?

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, and that brings up an excellent point. You cant afford ketchup, but you are eating fast food??

If you wanna save a couple hundred bucks a month, learn how to cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have to buy one meal there every month or so. You actually don't even have to buy the meal, but then I would feel ridiculous.

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's not stealing if some sixteen year old employee fails to confront you about being a thief? Actually, you sound like a weasle and a coward.

P.S. Don't they have student loans you could use at your cosmetology school?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the manager of McDonalds would say to me holding a jar of ketchup?

Also, I plan on graduating debt free.

swede123
09-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Lots of haters here tonight. Come on guys, it's a dumb college kid. If the extent of his trouble making is stealing condiments and bus passes I don't think there's enough here to warrant a witch trial.

Swede

Voltron87
09-14-2005, 12:26 AM
youre kidding, right? why the [censored] are you in expensive off campus housing?

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of haters here tonight. Come on guys, it's a dumb college kid. If the extent of his trouble making is stealing condiments and bus passes I don't think there's enough here to warrant a witch trial.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually made the post mostly in jest. I didn't really expect this kind of response, but I am enjoying it better than what I was looking for.

scotty34
09-14-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
youre kidding, right? why the [censored] are you in expensive off campus housing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was a better poker player than I am.

goofball
09-14-2005, 12:38 AM
If you go to the cafeteria, usually tea is very cheap and hot chocolate is not, so if you get your cup of hot chocolate and put a tea bag on top with the lid on and closed, the cafereria worker will simply assume you're getting tea. Or so I've heard.

Crackers are free a lot of places. For furniture it's best to go to someones moving sale (instead of garage sale) when people are moving they put very high value on getting rid of stuff, especially big stuff.

Taco Bell is pretty cheap.

bwana devil
09-14-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you live beyond your means. youre a thief. youre debt free. congratulations. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

09-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Ignore these idiots who are getting on you for being a "thief". I admire you for doing the best you can in your situation. Stealing condiments and internet is really no big deal.

aK13
09-14-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was a better poker player than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

augie00
09-14-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who's in my boat, and what other great ideas have you come up with (I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on dude, steal some bikes...do it. Come on. Steal some bikes.

ThaSaltCracka
09-14-2005, 02:20 AM
really, everything you are stealing isn't that big of a deal, except photocopying the books. I am amazed any place would even allow you to make copies.

Try getting some free crackers.

send_the_msg
09-14-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
really, everything you are stealing isn't that big of a deal, except photocopying the books. I am amazed any place would even allow you to make copies.

Try getting some free crackers.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you actually amazed? businesses love money you know.

09-14-2005, 03:09 AM
I admire you. I'm also going to be broke as hell. also a college student. some cheap things: McCormick's Vodka, Tuna Fish on Saltines with Tapatio hot sauce, meals on family, Safeway Kaiser rolls with thin sliced meat, Tampico Orange juice. PBR, fried eggs on white bread. goodwill always has decent slacks which make you look like a real student. Good luck

ChipWrecked
09-14-2005, 04:34 AM
I worked in a local (non chain) pizza joint. At least one free meal a day.

You're probably studying too hard for [censored] like a job, though.

spamuell
09-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I know a girl in your situation who in the evenings goes round the city to different fountains where people throw coins and collects them.

Benholio
09-14-2005, 08:24 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00061EZCW.01-A2BF95SJ3X97HC._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

IndieMatty
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

TBag
09-14-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl in your situation who in the evenings goes round the city to different fountains where people throw coins and collects them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words you hang out with hobos.

dcasper70
09-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Imagine if you did all this
AND lived in a more affordable place
AND got a part time job...

You'd be friggin LOADED!!!

sammysusar
09-14-2005, 09:26 AM
your going to graduate and have a decent job why not get some credit cards and pay them off when you have a decent job. no fun living poor.

sammysusar
09-14-2005, 09:27 AM
seriously who cares what kind of place you got if you cant have any fun

spamuell
09-14-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words you hang out with hobos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I hang out with her, I just know her.

But yes I do hang out with hobos, it boosts my self-esteem.

Blarg
09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting up my third year of college now. This year, I've decided to live off campus (in an expensive area), and between rising tuition, less scholarship money, and less help from the folks, I've decided that I am very poor this year.

My roomate and I are trying to do things as cheaply as we can, and get whatever we can for free whenever possible. Examples of how cheap we are:
-we steal wireless internet from an open connection (which has a really weak signal, and results in constant disconnects /images/graemlins/frown.gif)
-my roomate does not attend school, so he does not get a bus pass with tuition. we are going to try and find someone from my school who looks somewhat like him to sell us his if he has a car, or does not use the bus much. the passes sold for regular transit passengers are far too expensive

Who's in my boat, and what other great ideas have you come up with (I have moral issues against stealing anything besides internet and computer software)? Who has been through this in the past, any great stories?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, if you're living in an expensive area, you're not really poor.

Second of all:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are eating out, you're not really poor. Especially breakfast. No amount of stolen jam packets is going to make up for all the money you waste eating out. Breakfast is an incredibly cheap meal to make at home and you can practically eat some kinds of it in the shower. Eggs, oatmeal, milk, toast, a piece or two of fruit or chicken -- all dirt cheap stuff and most of it easy to cram down really quick or take on the road.

But let's pretend you're poor, or, as you've said, decide you're poor.

If you want to save money, my first recommendation is above: stop eating out. Bear up under the humiliation of bag lunches and learn how to cook, even if it's only boiling eggs or something.

Second, buy in bulk. A gigantic can of tomatoes or tomato sauce at a warehouse store costs about the same as two little jars of Rago. Some oregano turns it into spaghetti sauce.

This goes hand in hand with three: buy lots of tupperware to store stuff so you can:

Fourth: cook up a huge bunch of stuff at once. Cooking big batches is less expensive and FAR less time consuming than cooking every day. Freeze it all up.

Fifth: get a slow cooker. They're very cheap and you can make great soups almost for free. Also a great lazy way to make sauces, chili, stews, etc.

Sixth: Unless you absolutely hate rice, get a rice cooker. Rice with frozen vegetables is a bland but very nutritious and incredibly cheap meal. Dump the veggies in with the rice, walk away and come back later. Nothing to it. Like the slow cooker, it's great for students who don't have time to be chefs but just want a hot meal. It's the sauces and spices that make it taste more interesting -- try adding lots of garlic and onion. Tossing some chicken in there makes the taste come alive, too.

Seventh: Chicken is CHEAP, high quality protein, good hot or cold, in soups, sandwiches, chili, with pasta, salads, or by itself. It's hard to screw it up too badly even if you're really a half-assed dope.

I was freaky poor through college; so poor I couldn't even get financial aid because they told me I lied about my income and nobody could have survived on that amount of money. I did, but let's say steaks weren't on the menu. I actually had to lie to get financial aid and tell them bigger and bigger amounts until they believed me. My goal was to live on a dollar a day of food. It's hard and not all that healthy.

Blarg
09-14-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you live beyond your means. youre a thief. youre debt free. congratulations. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's impossible to imagine anyone this description could possibly apply to who wouldn't feel tremendously gratified by it.

I think some of these remarks are overstated, and not creating the effect they're going for.

Blarg
09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Another thing. Many bakeries sell their bread for half off after a certain time of day. Sometimes it's as early as noon, but sometimes it's after 5 or 6 p.m. Seriously good quality bread too, that is only a few hours old. This is a great way to go, and the bread is almost always better than supermarket bread too.

IndieMatty
09-14-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing. Many bakeries sell their bread for half off after a certain time of day. Sometimes it's as early as noon, but sometimes it's after 5 or 6 p.m. Seriously good quality bread too, that is only a few hours old. This is a great way to go, and the bread is almost always better than supermarket bread too.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little luxurious, but Au Bon Pain does this a lot, and they have the best [censored] chocolate chip cookies evar!!!

ChipWrecked
09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your going to graduate and have a decent job why not get some credit cards and pay them off when you have a decent job. no fun living poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, God. Run up some debt because tomorrow's going to be golden.

Do not repeat the mistake I made. This is the worst advice that will be posted to OOT all day.

mason55
09-14-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not repeat the mistake I made. This is the worst advice that will be posted to OOT all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being a hater, it's a brilliant idea.

ChipWrecked
09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being a hater, it's a brilliant idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. Life without a 42" plasma TV isn't worth living.

sammysusar
09-14-2005, 10:14 AM
i did not say to buy a 42" plasma.
i said why not borrow a couple thousand dollars and pay it off within the first yr of working.
i dont think that is as irresponsible as people think.

mmbt0ne
09-14-2005, 10:33 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Tampico Orange juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you live in the Southeast, and most likely Georgia to be saying this. The only reason I say so is because I know the guy who runs that company, and I've only really seen it around here. It's great to mix with cheap vodka, but I wouldn't exactly call it juice. More like sweetened orange drink.

Anyway, Blarg is really smart, and giving good ideas. Same thing with the idea of getting a college loan to cover your expenses. I've been trying to do that recently, but it's a pain in the ass.

In our house, we give one of our roommates like $10 a week, and he makes 3 or 4 dinners that week for the entire house. He's kind of like our own personal Drama. It's really nice to have good food that you don't have to go out for, and don't have to pay a lot for. Other than that, I'm usually eating tuna fish (however, I tried those packets of tuna in sunflower oil, and they're sooo much better, so now I'm spending $2 per tuna meal) or chicken ramen with tabasco and Tony Chachere's spice. If I feel like living the high life I get some of those Choice Select chicken pieces or whatever, and throw those in. Great meal for &lt; $1. Also, cereal and milk. $4 for name brand cereal, $1.50 for the same stuff as a store brand, and $3.50 for a gallon of milk. That's $5 for like 10 meals.

bwana devil
09-14-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see the OP mistitled his post. he almost certainly won't take advantage of your information. he posted saying he's cheap but instead he just listed things he steals but will never get prosecuted for. not quite the same thing.

im not railing on the guy for stealing ketchup packets. but if he's going to steal internet, books and bus passes he shouldn't pawn it off as being "cheap." he should fully accept what he's doing.

bwana

Duke
09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I assume you can't find the books online in pdf form.

~D