PDA

View Full Version : Why does anyone watch anime

KungFuSandwich
09-13-2005, 11:07 PM
I honestly dont get it. Whats the attraction. It seems boring and childish to me.

BradleyT
09-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Hentai is even more [censored] up.

InchoateHand
09-14-2005, 12:33 AM
'Cause they hate themselves?

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Because certain anime films and series are the work of geniuses?

smokingrobot
09-14-2005, 12:37 AM
neon genesis evangelion was a pretty interesting series. im no anime freak, but i saw those and i dug the whole hegelian allusions and the search for identity ideas.

smokingrobot
09-14-2005, 12:38 AM
i dont see the draw for hentai (no pun intended)

smokingrobot
09-14-2005, 12:38 AM
there are a couple other good ones i saw too, but i know people who will watch anything and everything anime related... no discretionary taste whatsoever.

ilya
09-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Most of it is crap IMO but there is some good stuff out there, e.g. "Princess Mononoke."

Spladle Master
09-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Anime isn't really a genre. You might as easily have said, "Why does anyone watch movies?" There is a LOT of anime produced every year. Some of it is good and some of it is bad.

randomstumbl
09-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Imagine being in Japan and seeing Carrot Top do his routine. You'd really wonder about American stand up comedy, wouldn't you?

The Yugoslavian
09-14-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of it is crap IMO but there is some good stuff out there, e.g. "Princess Mononoke."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious or kidding?

In other words, do I have to go watch Princess Mononoke or do I need to get more sleep?

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yugoslav

astroglide
09-14-2005, 01:01 AM
because they're JAPANESE and ANIMATED. NO DOY.

who cares about content if you've got those boxes checked?

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-14-2005, 01:04 AM
In general, Miyazaki films (Princess Mononoke is one of them) tend to be strong. I prefer Spirited Away, but both are very good.

Akira is also another fantastic anime movie.

In terms of series, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are fantastic.

Blarg
09-14-2005, 01:07 AM
A lot of people are drawn to it just because it's being non-American seems exotic, I think. A great deal is such crap that it's amazing anyone would really get into it at all, much less get into a sort of idolization of it.

But there is some that is really good. Animation has always been the place where imagination has the greatest chance to show itself off, and that alone makes me hopeful about anything animated -- there's a chance to see things there you can see nowhere else, and sometimes great creativity.

Some guys, like Miyazaki, are consistently very good, and his films are at least as good as anything Hollywood puts out, live or animated, and usually better. Then there's the rare thundering classic like Graveyard of the Fireflies, or really good series, like Full Metal Alchemist or Cowboy Bebop.

There's always great potential in animation, and anime can be much more artful and adult than the kiddie stuff it is in the U.S. Animation's potential is too big for the art form to be condemened to only entertain young children, as it's treated in America. I think it's the hope that it can be something better, and the knowledge that it occasionally IS something better, that keeps my interest up despite how terrible a lot of it is, and how happily so much of it inhabits the creative gutters.

After all, it's not as if the alternative -- live action -- doesn't generally stink too.

But I'm not on board for liking anything that's animated just because it's animated. 95% of everything is crap, and being animated doesn't make things that suck, suck any less.