PDA

View Full Version : Can you bet this river?

lil'
05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Online 3-6. This game is a mix of good players and total calling tools. Of course, I played a previous hand like a calling tool myself, so I guess I shouldn't throw stones.

I have 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in the BB. Three limpers and I check.

The flop is 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Everyone checks to the late limper who bets. I have not seen this guy do anything yet. He seems pretty straightforward. I check-raise. Only the late limper calls.

The turn is the 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
Bet - call

The river is the 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Who bets this? I didn't. What is he calling me with? I figured him for a weak king that I couldn't shake him off.

travisand
05-01-2003, 11:33 PM
I would check-fold the river.

Clarkmeister
05-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Bet. You will be called by all sorts of worse hands here, and given the strength you have shown, your opponent will usually call with more hands than he will bet.

lil'
05-02-2003, 07:41 AM
I tried to think of some worse hands that he would call me with, but I couldn't think of many. Maybe 7-7 or 6-6, but that was it. I think that before I would bet this river I would need to label this player as a calling station, but I didn't know him well enough yet to do that. I mean, if I bet and he calls and loses, than that would be a terribly played hand by him. I just didn't know if he was that bad yet.

Bob T.
05-02-2003, 09:43 AM
I think that I would bet, he might fold a ten, he might call with a four, or a smaller pocket pair.

Bob T.
05-02-2003, 09:59 AM
...before I would bet this river I would need to label this player as a calling station, but I didn't know him well enough yet to do that.

What better time to find out. If you are going to call a bet by him, it is probably better to bet, than to call, because he will probably check a lot of the hands that you will beat, and bet more of the hands that beat you. So, if you are going to call, he will win more money and lose less if he bets, and if you bet, you will win more, and lose less than if you check call.

lil'
05-02-2003, 04:23 PM
I think I see what you are saying. More good things could happen when I bet than when I call. Thanks!

FWIW, it was checked through and I won. Hand history indicated he had Q-Jo.