PDA

View Full Version : Sunder

DavidC
09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey guys.

A while ago you could use a piece of software called "sunder" to break up files into sizes that you wanted (back in the days of floppy disks this was an important tool when copying multiple MB programs onto disks).

I have a 50gb file I want to cut up into 10gb chunks.

Is there any free software out there that will do this?

--Dave.

slavic
09-14-2005, 01:17 AM
winrar, it's shareware

DavidC
09-14-2005, 02:40 AM
sweet! I didn't know winrar did this. Thanks a lot. (I already have this).

Buccaneer
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
There is a file splitter in PT under utilities.

DavidC
09-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Heys.

I'm looking to split any file, not just a PTDB, so unfortunately I can't use that. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, winrar only lets you split to size for popular media types (50mb/100mb zip drives, 1.14mb floppies, 600bm/700mb cd's, etc.

Since i'm looking to split according to max file size I can email, which doesn't necessarily correspond to these media sizes, that's not 100% useful either. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

However, I did find a program:

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/download.html

---

This is free, but I don't know if it's a virus or not (haven't scanned it: I'm naive I guess).

It splits up a file, then creates a little .exe file to put them all back together. It does it in arbitrary sizes: anything you want to specify.

Good little utility: first link off of a google search for "File Splitter".

Obviously it would be best if the program could jsut put together files and didn't require you to transmit an EXE file with your split files, but it's still pretty effective from what I can tell.

--Dave.

A guy pointed out to me recently (and correctly) that I haven't been thorough enough in my feedback as to your solutions... pretty selfish of me... so this is part of me making amends. /images/graemlins/smile.gif