PDA

View Full Version : Pixel width

Kyle
09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey guys i am a retard when it comes to CPUs. How far in inches is 150 pixels going to be?

Wake up CALL
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
This ----- far.

09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Pixels relate to monitors, not CPU's.

In computers, resolution is the number of pixels individual points of color) contained on a display monitor, expressed in terms of the number of pixels on the horizontal axis and the number on the vertical axis. The sharpness of the image on a display depends on the resolution and the size of the monitor. The same pixel resolution will be sharper on a smaller monitor and gradually lose sharpness on larger monitors because the same number of pixels are being spread out over a larger number of inches.

A given computer display system will have a maximum resolution that depends on its physical ability to focus light (in which case the physical dot size - the dot pitch - matches the pixel size) and usually several lesser resolutions. For example, a display system that supports a maximum resolution of 1280 by 1023 pixels may also support 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 resolutions. Note that on a given size monitor, the maximum resolution may offer a sharper image but be spread across a space too small to read well.

Display resolution is not measured in dots per inch as it usually is with printers. However, the resolution and the physical monitor size together do let you determine the pixels per inch. Typically, PC monitors have somewhere between 50 and 100 pixels per inch. For example, a 15-inch VGA (see display modes) monitor has a resolution of 640 pixels along a 12-inch horizontal line or about 53 pixels per inch. A smaller VGA display would have more pixels per inch.

BTW, although I understand pixels, I copied the definition from a reference site I use. It's not from memory. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kyle
09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks a lot for the helpful response. My next question is does anyone know the min resolution a person can four table with? My current monitor is 1600 x 1200. I am looking at buying a wide screen that is 1680 x 1050 however I dont believe four tables are going to fit without any overlap.

Nomad84
09-14-2005, 11:03 PM
1600x1200 is the minimum to 4 table with no overlap. For a quick illustration, the difference between those 2 resolutions is 150 lines vertically. The banner ad at the top of this page is 60 pixels tall. You would basically cut 2.5 times that much height off of the screen resulting in somewhat significant overlap. Some people say it is bearable, but I wouldn't be able to stand it. You can adjust your resolution to 1280x1024 to get an idea of the vertical overlap you would experience with that monitor. You may also be able to set it to 1400x1050, but my video drivers don't give me that option. If you don't mind the vertical overlap from that resolution, then the 1680x1050 monitor won't bother you either. 1680x1050 will give you no horizontal overlap.