PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a new computer with a RAID 0 system...

Deuce2High
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I was wondering if I could use the disk defragmentor system that comes with windows using RAID 0? I understand that RAID 0 splits the files onto two different hard drives. So, would defragmenting kind of mess this up or is it OK to do? Is there anything else I should be careful of on this new computer with a RAID 0 setup?

cwes
09-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes you can use the defragmentation utility with a raid 0 array. Windows will only work with the logical drive, the raid controller will take care of the rest (i.e. on which disk the parts of the files are actually stored).

Shouldn't you already have configured your raid 0 array, please consider the following advice:

Using a raid 0 array bears a major danger: If one of the two (or more) harddisks of the array is damaged, you will lose all data on the array.

You might say: "So what?" Well, the problem is that it is muche more likely that one out of two harddisks is damaged than one out of one harddisk is damaged. Therefore, by using a raid 0 array, you expose yourself to a much higher risk of losing all data on the harddrives. Don't do it unless you really need it.

You usually need it if you have lots (LOTS! stuff like very large files, veeeeery many small files) of temporary data that has to be moved around quickly and isn't needed (or archived elsewhere) long term.

If you want to use raid 0 just for a large logical hdd, please consider using two logical hdds instead. You will have the same amount of space and there are no real drawbacks unless you need the raid 0 for the stuff mentioned above.

HTH

Deuce2High
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Thank you very much for the warnings. This PC is going to be used for running many applications at the same time and gaming and I will be using mostly my laptop and USB HD for backup storage.

My laptop just couldn't cut it for tripple-boxing my favorite MMORPG while running some macros and playing poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

cwes
09-13-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you very much for the warnings. This PC is going to be used for running many applications at the same time and gaming

[/ QUOTE ]

Many modern games store boatloads of multimedia contents on the harddisks. These usually are large files, so using raid 0 will gain you a little. It will save a second or two off loading sequences. I still wouldn't use it.

It will not improve performance for applications running simultaneously, unless they make very heavy use of the harddisks.