PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Amazingly my old company called me today,and seems to be ready to offer me a job...... I really have no idea what to do.

I've been playing full time for almost a year now, The lifestyle is AWESOME, the money has been very good, the hours are great, the freedom is amazing. But I dont know what I should say if they make an offer.

I am thinking 100k + bonus would get me back (or a total comp of 150+). I really dont know what to do, This could be my biggest decision I ever make, as it possibly can change the rest of my life /images/graemlins/confused.gif

HELP!

CountDuckula
09-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Not trying to be funny, but it depends. There are so many factors that go into a decision like this that it's difficult for virtual strangers to advise you. If you feel that you like being a professional poker player enough, and are confident you can keep winning enough to meet your needs and wants, then stick with it. If you'd rather have the security of a job, you can always play poker in your spare time.

Ultimately, only you can decide which course is better for you.

-Mike

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and are confident you can keep winning enough to meet your needs and wants, then stick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only problem, there are so many people predicting this will end soon. So even if I am good, I dont know how much Ill be able to make in the future

Amid Cent
09-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Take the job and keep playing poker part time. If you don't like it, you can always go back to internet poker. However, if you pass up this offer now, there is no guarantee you'll get the opportunity again.

09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
It depends how old you are, do you have a family, and what kind of job it is? 100k+/year is a pretty nice salary so I'm assuming you're older and/or have very specialized skills.

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends how old you are, do you have a family, and what kind of job it is? 100k+/year is a pretty nice salary so I'm assuming you're older and/or have very specialized skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bt what if I can make 100k playing cards?

sublime
09-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I really have no idea what to do.

relish the fact that you are in the position to dictate what you will work for and when.

figure out how you want to live and tailor your employment status around that. 99% of people in america have to do it the other way around.

Benal
09-13-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

You can't honestly be thinking of passing up a sure thing. C'mon now.

gila
09-13-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course he can. Let's see, be at work at 8:00 vs. get up when you want to. Two weeks vacation vs. vacation every two months. Potential to make 1/2 a mill vs. 10,000 raise every two years. Boss vs. no boss. It may be wise to take the job, but it's far from black and white.

BigF
09-13-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amazingly my old company called me today,and seems to be ready to offer me a job...... I really have no idea what to do.

I've been playing full time for almost a year now, The lifestyle is AWESOME, the money has been very good, the hours are great, the freedom is amazing. But I dont know what I should say if they make an offer.

I am thinking 100k + bonus would get me back (or a total comp of 150+). I really dont know what to do, This could be my biggest decision I ever make, as it possibly can change the rest of my life /images/graemlins/confused.gif

HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy decision. Take the job offer now.

Play poker on the side, or not. It's up to you.

Losing all
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is he already quit this same sure thing because he hated it. He's got a family so I hope he seriously considers going back, buts it's not a slam dunk by any means.

Best of luck making the right decision.

MicroBob
09-13-2005, 06:09 PM
He can think of passing it up if he thinks he will be borderline miserable at the job and/or will also miss the freedom one has by JUST playing poker for income.

Not to come off as whiney or anything...but I think we all know that getting up at 6:30 or 7:00am to make the morning commute to work just SUCKS....and that MANY people would relish the opportunity to do just that (not to mention that you're just playing a freaking game for a living...which can be both good and bad).

Also - not to be a smart-ass or anything...but Sublime's approach is a reasonable one.
Yes...it's a difficult decision and will greatly effect your future (but a LOT of decisions will effect your future).

It's only life...you only get one of them. Relax and just go ahead and do whichever feels right.
If you think you could get this offer again in the future if you asked then that is something to throw into the equation too.

When you consider the number of displaced folks from New Orleans and Biloxi or lost their houses and cars...as well as all the other folks around the world (3rd world included of course) with various problems then I think the 'dilemma' of "should I make $100k at location-A or should I make $100k at location-B" will hopefully not come off as QUITE so stressful and difficult.
Just go one direction or the other...Deliberate and consider and weigh the pros and cons and then decide.

Also - there's no 'hoping' you made the 'right decision'.
There's nothing you can do now to 'know' whether or not it is right.
If you decide to turn down the job and then poker goes belly-up then that's how it goes.
Same way if you decide to take the job...decide that the 7am commute everyday is really destroying your soul (which is a MAJOR consideration I believe) and see that you probably could have made even more playing poker.

FWIW - If someone offered me a job that paid a nice salary and did NOT require 50+ hour weeks at the office (as many office jobs do) and I thought I would enjoy it then I would STRONGLY consider taking it.
The most important part for me would be the flexibility, hours involved, and the enjoyment factor.

I can always go back to poker if I decide the job sucks.
And if poker falls apart then I can just stick it out at the job even if I hate it.

I don't recall deathvalley's age and/or family/situation myself.
But obviously these are considerations too.

Good luck in your decision.

Also - when I first started playing online 'for income part-time' I was a blackjack dealer making a really piddly wage.
I was able to cut back on my hours at 'work' as my success online grew.
I went from 45 hours to 35 hours to 25 hours a week pretty much.

I doubt your job offer would allow the flexibility of hours that mine does (where I could always sign the 'early-out' sheet where the extra dealers get to go home early as the tables dry-up....or I could just trade or dump-off shifts).

but if there's room to just take the job 'semi parttime' then that might be worth considering as well (of course...that would like mean no health-benefits unfortunately).

Mostly I like the flexibility.
I don't have to mark a specific weekend on my calendar 2 months in advance and turn it into my employer to 'request off on those days' and then get some guilt-trip about how everything is going to be REALLY busy that weekend and they really can't afford to lose me...etc etc.

maybe pm a guy like bisonbison who got REALLY tired of the online-grind and went job-huntng on his own....and just stew on it for a day or two...go out for a couple drinks with friends and talk it out a little bit.

chrisg
09-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Would love to be in this position. My poker is OK, but many moons away from paying a salary. Anyway. My thoughts:

1) You don't say what the job is.. you must have some sort of an idea. Is it going to enrich your life in any way or just provide a steady income?
2) You clearly enjoy the freedom that online poker gives you.. could you really go back to working for 'the man' (as I do now - it can suck).
3) Or, do you miss working with other people. I am making the assumption that making a living from online poker is a fairly solitary existence. I couldn't do it.
4) Yes, the bottom will fall out of online poker in the next couple of years, as soon as all the potential players have been cleaned out. Do you move now and miss out on potential earnings and take this job? Or, could you use your skills elsewhere? Another 'skill based' game perhaps. Blackjack, chess.. whatever the next online thing will be... and I think there will be another online thing.

Anyway, more questions than answers here so apologies for that. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Remember... You've got to know when to hold 'em. You've got to know when to fold 'em.

TheMetetron
09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Interesting dilemma.

I can't imagine what this is like, since there is no way anyone is going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

That said, if I found someone willing to pay me that much, I would at least strongly consider taking it. But I also LOVE the freedom entailed with poker and it makes my life about 1000% better. When/if I stop doing this whole poker grind, I have a hard time imagining myself doing anything but starting my own business. I just dread the thought of getting up at 7am and going to work for a boss... ugh.

But everyone is different and you have a family to consider. I would just feel like part of my soul is dying if I did that.

Nick-Zack
09-13-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

VinnyTheFish
09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
1) Can you work 1 or 2 dasy a week from home? Try to get that in there.

2) See what they have to say and how much they want to give you.

3) How about flexible hours, say ... 7 am to 2. You could be home in time to moonlight 8 hours online.

timprov
09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I think you really needs to tell us what the job is.

Soul Rebel
09-13-2005, 06:54 PM
From what I recall from your previous posts, this was a top tier wall street firm that screwed around with you as to when they'd move you up to a position you deserved. I don't know what the new job is, but the salary potential of those places is huge after a couple years at a real position. I also seem to recall that your old job had something to do with the trading floor, which has reasonable hours. If the new one is along those lines (I'm assuming that its a step up, otherwise you wouldn't be asking), then I'd guess the hours are bearable. So its not like you'd be working a 90 hour week. Also, if you have any interest in business school, this will help you get into a really good one. I don't think you have much to lose by taking the job if you're still pretty young. You know you can do very well in poker, and that will always be there, even if the games tighten up. I'd be thinking about taking it, doing it for 5-10 years, and retiring. You can always play poker. My .02.

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Its a sure thing, true..... I am sure I will not be as happy as I am now, but the current environment is not guaranteed to be the same in the future </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see, be at work at 8:00 vs. get up when you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> This one is huge! I used to wake up at 530 and be in the office by 7 after an hour bus commute, not sure exactly what the hours would be with this, but Id assume very close as it involves trading commodity futures which start trading at 8 est. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you could get this offer again in the future if you asked then that is something to throw into the equation too.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I doubt it, I could get something similar, but as this type of position goes, this is one of the better opportunities </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) You don't say what the job is.. you must have some sort of an idea. Is it going to enrich your life in any way or just provide a steady income?

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Along the lines of stock broker assistant </font>

[ QUOTE ]
2) You clearly enjoy the freedom that online poker gives you.. could you really go back to working for 'the man'

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I certainly can, I also certainly wont like it as much as being my own boss </font>

[ QUOTE ]
3) Or, do you miss working with other people. I am making the assumption that making a living from online poker is a fairly solitary existence. I couldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> No biggie, I like real people, but people in the corporate world tend to be rather fake </font>

[ QUOTE ]
4) Yes, the bottom will fall out of online poker in the next couple of years, as soon as all the potential players have been cleaned out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speculation, but def. a possibility

[ QUOTE ]
But I also LOVE the freedom entailed with poker and it makes my life about 1000% better

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Word! </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) Can you work 1 or 2 dasy a week from home? Try to get that in there.

3) How about flexible hours, say ... 7 am to 2. You could be home in time to moonlight 8 hours online.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Flex anything isnt really an option </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really needs to tell us what the job is.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> See Above </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the new job is, but the salary potential of those places is huge after a couple years at a real position. I also seem to recall that your old job had something to do with the trading floor, which has reasonable hours. If the new one is along those lines (I'm assuming that its a step up, otherwise you wouldn't be asking), then I'd guess the hours are bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Yes, if there wasnt the potential for a lot of money I would surely not even have a dilema. Also, while the hours are not too bad, I have to factor in about 3 hours a day commuting, and it is also an early start as we would not only be trading the equity markets </font>
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have much to lose by taking the job if you're still pretty young.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Any time you give up being your own boss, and the ability to work whenever you want, to go work for the man you are giving up a lot, the question is rather.... What wwill I be gaining? </font>

Dariel86
09-13-2005, 07:27 PM
You won't be doing 100k/year from poker forever. At least not for certain.

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
maybe more, maybe less.....cant know for sure

crazy canuck
09-13-2005, 08:00 PM
I'd say take the job. If it sucks that bad you can quit after a few month. It's very likely that the online games are gonna get worse and worse.

theben
09-13-2005, 08:01 PM
take the job if the sal+bon is good and you get benefits, as long as it seems like a stable thing. dont rely on poker

PorscheNGuns
09-13-2005, 08:05 PM
You are really pathetic

-Matt

Adam22
09-13-2005, 08:12 PM
im in a bit different situation since the amount i make playing poker is so much m ore than i could make at any job i could get ( i did the drop out and play poker thing, i know bad idea but i did it a year and a half ago and things have been great, i was just going to get a job if it didnt work out ) but to me the most important thing is to invest and stuff so that i wont have to worry about a job and i will have a choice of wether i want to play poker or not within a year or two. i see poker as a springboard to better opportunities.

Uglyowl
09-13-2005, 08:12 PM
You are in the driver's seat, no better place to be. Ask for what you want and there is no pressure in buckling because you need a check. There is not a better place to be right now for you.

For me, I start back at the "real world" this coming Monday. Was very patient, enjoyed the summer and found something I know I will be happy doing that is a 10 minute drive.

I don't think my poker time will really suffer as I didn't really play all that much when it was my "summer job". Besides I can sneak home for an hour of 8-tabling for lunch if I want now /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim Kuhn
09-13-2005, 08:21 PM
A stock broker's assistant makes over $100,000 in New York City? Wow. Our assistant's must be working for the wrong firm!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Eder
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Its quite simple really...take the job and 2 table at work,,,solved,,,

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are really pathetic

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to elaborate?

RollaJ
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A stock broker's assistant makes over $100,000 in New York City? Wow. Our assistant's must be working for the wrong firm!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies greatly btwn firms and brokers, this is a top broker at a top 5 firm. They do HUGE business, and assistants tend to get paid well with the big producers

QTip
09-13-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies greatly btwn firms and brokers, this is a top broker at a top 5 firm. They do HUGE business, and assistants tend to get paid well with the big producers

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how it would possible hurt to try the job out. I recently have gone pro because I can make at least twice playing cards than what my old job payed. Now...if they offered me six figures and benefits, I would probably still be there.

adanthar
09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Serious answer: Take the job, play on the side and use the first paycheck to move into an apartment that cuts the commute in three or less.

Where (approximately) is the office? I'm thinking a studio or 1 BR in midtown is going to pay for itself given that's time you're not playing.

Keith Fellmy
09-13-2005, 09:53 PM
question is can you keep making money at poker? Seems the fish are drying up. party is down on playership (if that is a word). If you don't take the opportunity now it may never come again. BUT after being your own boss how would you feel taking orders from someone else. I know that I would not like it much. I plan on going back to work when my grandmother passes away. I like playing poker but it has become a grind. The big problem is that I am not sure if I can handle being told what to do. Actually I know that I won't work for someone else. I gotta be da man if I go back to work. Currently I am looking at tropical fish farms or possibly a USAR Pro Cup Racing team owner. The other possiblity is to buy a small house, nothing fancy and just live out my days not doing much other than playing online poker and making fishing sinkers. Grandmother has a few years left so I have the time to let my money earn some more interest (from my house I sold, retirement fund from work, poker and sinker money that I rathole away).

I don't think the online poker world will be a different animal in the future. Now that poker sites are going public, they will start putting profits and investor relations over customers, it will go downhill. Not go out, but certainly be worse off than it is now.

I would take the job personally.

VinnyTheFish
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
I have the solution.

Keep playing poker. Have your people call me. I will take your old job for 90% of your prior salary. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Plus - I miss working in the city!

crunchy1
09-13-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But what if I can make 100k playing cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think the probability of increasing that wage over the next few years is greater in your poker career or your computer career? You're probably going to get yearly raises and bonuses in your computer career but, unless you continue to improve at poker, are able to beat bigger limits, and the action at your current AND future higher limits continues to be good your poker wage is going to remain constant.

MrBrightside
09-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Here's the deal: Don't work 50+ hour weeks. I never have, and I'm in an industry (programming) where many do. JUST SAY NO. It's an attitude. In this industry, there are occasional emergencies/rollouts to production web sites you are asked to do after hours/work extra. Later that week, I just say "hey, I'm leaving at 3 today because I worked late the other day." Don't ask. Just do. Make it clear that you expect comp time for working extra.

I know many think they will fall behind, etc., but I don't care. I'm not interested in management (done it, hated it). I work at a start up, so hopefully my stock options will pay off. I have never had a job where I have averaged more than, MAYBE slightly over 40 hours (i'm talking 42, tops), since I graduated college.

On to the OPs question: Have you considered consulting and /or part time for your original company? If they value your work that highly, go for it.

MrBrightside
09-13-2005, 10:10 PM
but $100k in NYC isn't that much. My 72.5K in middle america (OK), the salary calcs show I need to earn $135K in NYC to rent, $235k to own.. ouch.

Jim Kuhn
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Can you get wifi and play poker on the bus?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

TheMetetron
09-13-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Uglyowl
09-13-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the deal: Don't work 50+ hour weeks. I never have, and I'm in an industry (programming) where many do. JUST SAY NO. It's an attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice, there is no need and once you start it is hard going back!

chezlaw
09-14-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

The job is the sensible safe option and you still don't want to do it, so don't. Life's too short.

chez

Guthrie
09-14-2005, 02:30 AM
This is a no-brainer for a young guy with a family. Take the job. Play a few hours of poker a week and shove every dollar of profit into a qualified retirement plan.

lastsamurai
09-14-2005, 05:20 AM
the question is will it make you happy? Let me assume you will be working 60 hours a week at this firm... how much time are you going to have playing poker?

grinin
09-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Haven't read all the replies and have no idea what the field is, but have you considered consulting for them? If you left the job to begin with, it is likely that you would not enjoy being back in the same position, so this would allow a lot more flexibility.

RollaJ
09-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Just a couple of notes.

This is a similar job to the one I did the last year I was working at the company.....it was not nearly as bad as the job I did on a trading desk the first 4 years I was there.

I love poker, but I can go without playing 8 hours a day. My question isnt "How will I get my fix?" But rather "What is the best long term option for me factoring in earn rate and quality of life?"

Either way...... interview is this afternoon...... We'll see what happens /images/graemlins/smile.gif

......Thx for all the input

Vern
09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
One thing I have learned. Find something you enjoy and excel at it. If you are bright and enthusiastic you will make enough money for the things money buys but no amount of money can make a miserable job worth it. (IMHO)

So if you would like the job, take it and play poker on the side. If you end up hating it, go back to poker full time. Just remember to not do anything that sounds like 'grinding'.

Baulucky
09-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Ask for $200K. Trade at $150-$175. or whatever.

Soul Rebel
09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
DV - Just do whatever you think is going to make you the happiest. The extra money won't mean much if you're miserable all day.

RollaJ
09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DV - Just do whatever you think is going to make you the happiest. The extra money won't mean much if you're miserable all day.

[/ QUOTE ]
you seem to have the best answers /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Soul Rebel
09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you seem to have the best answers /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think we're in similar situations. Good luck with the decision and the interview.

09-14-2005, 11:23 AM
can you get me a quote on the Oct S&amp;P 1285 Calls

RollaJ
09-14-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

09-15-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No biggie, I like real people, but people in the corporate world tend to be rather fake

[/ QUOTE ]

... good point

chucksim
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Personally, assuming you don't absolutely HATE the job and all that comes with it, I probably take the job (assuming benefits, retirement plan, etc) and part-time it with poker.

Play at a comfortable level to guarantee a nice profit and save a considerable portion of them. Don't really try to move higher too quickly, unless you're really comfortable at the next level.

Forget about that money you save and when you next get sick of work, and poker may not be so great, you have a supplimental "poker pension" to help you through the lower income.

RollaJ
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Met the broker yesterday, and said he would give me a call back.... So I guess I wait. I love not having the pressure of caring when/if he calls /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Roland19
09-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Death Valley, you're awesome. Where'd you go to school and what did you major in?

tlnini
09-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/quantf/OptionsMontage.jpg