PDA

View Full Version : My biggest flaw

kenberman
09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
as poker player is tilt, especially b/c I play shorthanded.

My inability to stay on a sLAG course, and move into bad LAG play when I get frustrated, is easiliy the worst part of my game.

I bluff off too many chips, sometimes morph into a strange calling station, and open-raise too many hands when I go in tilt, and I go on tilt too often. I titl for all the usual reasons: missing flops, bad beats, getting check/raised over and over and playing back at the wrong times, etc.

what's your biggest flaw?

Paxosmotic
09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Small blind defense.

TripleH68
09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Playing too long/when I get tired.

irishpint
09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
not playing attention/playing too many tables. i moved up in limits, dropped down the number of tables and have reaped the rewards. all of a sudden each hand on each table matters, and so does the $$$$.

kapw7
09-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I get bored playing ABC poker. Maybe I need to play higher limits soon. Good thing is I get bored playing non-ABC poker as well.

deception5
09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
My biggest flaw is thinking that my opponents are always trying to bluff me out of the pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've gotten much better about this recently but it's always in the back of my mind...

chiachu
09-13-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest flaw is thinking that my opponents are always trying to bluff me out of the pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've gotten much better about this recently but it's always in the back of my mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

opposite for me...
my biggest flaw is being a weak-tight calling station

VoraciousReader
09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Only one?

My biggest flaw is acting instantly. I've been much better recently, but I still have to remind myself to look at pot size and other context before acting for online play. You'd think after ~19K hands of one-tabling I would have this problem solved.

adsman
09-13-2005, 03:57 PM
My biggest flaw is wanting to quit if I get off to a flying start in a session, say like up 30BB in the first half hour. You gotta stay in there in order to have a really big win.

09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I always think people are trying to bluff and end up with some embarrasing showdons /images/graemlins/blush.gif And as an extra flaw i also tend to quit early when i get of too a flying start, just in case i play for another few hours and end up even again or worse...

car ramrod
09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I titl for all the usual reasons: missing flops,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not good man. I am not saying I never go on tilt, but I have gotten a lot better. If you are tilting b/c you miss a flop, then I have to assume you are tilting a bunch. I miss the flop a lot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, this is a very important issue, and I think it is something that every one should work on, myself included. You can lose a lot of money playing while on tilt.

homebrewer
09-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Donk betting my UI overs. I show down UI overs too many times. But, I've been much better at this as of late. I'll get beat by a pair deuces, tres, or middle pair. Playing .5/1 6 max and full-ring can develop some bad habits like this because more of the players are weak tight. I been finding that in 1/2, more players will look you up or hang in there with middle pair. I'm not just talking about calling stations. In several cases, I find that those players have pretty good hand reading skills. While, I've learned to make adjustments against those guys, I have to learn to get better at disguising my predictable play... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Paxosmotic
09-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't feel a mental aspect is their biggest flaw?

OP : I will reward you handsomely for a copy of NHL 95.

homebrewer
09-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Pax,
I agree. But, just about every flaw can in some way be "mental." Calculating odds can be construed as part of our mental approach to the game. I think were all pointing out specific weaknesses that would constitute a flaw in our overall mental approach to the game.

kenberman
09-13-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should get into ROM's. instructions

here (http://nhl94.com/html/multimedia/downloads.asp)

I should say that I'm a 94 player, not 95.

ErrantNight
09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing too long/when I get tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

kenberman
09-13-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is not good man. I am not saying I never go on tilt, but I have gotten a lot better. If you are tilting b/c you miss a flop, then I have to assume you are tilting a bunch. I miss the flop a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarify: I meant missing flops for 2 hours can frustrate me.

Paxosmotic
09-13-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should get into ROM's. instructions

here (http://nhl94.com/html/multimedia/downloads.asp)

I should say that I'm a 94 player, not 95.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, I have it for SNES and Genesis in ROM version, but I want the PC version. I used to score 60+ goals a game in that.

Guruman
09-13-2005, 05:09 PM
value betting with the second best hand

Buccaneer
09-13-2005, 05:26 PM
This is easy. Signing on to a poker site!

David04
09-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I am terrible at playing overcards.

droolie
09-13-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd add mine but I already did this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3112359&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

Jaran
09-13-2005, 08:21 PM
My biggest flaw is I suck at poker. That and having a miniscule br.

-Jaran

lautzutao
09-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Getting Kings Cracked:

KK

# of times - 23
Win % - 40.87
Net - (-10.67)

milesdyson
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
my biggest flaw was withdrawing my whole bankroll and basically spending all of it.

i am slowly going to build it back up.

bjarne
09-14-2005, 03:23 AM
I bluff too much in small pots.

I tend to start playing weak/tight when I'm down more than 15BB in a single session and start seeing monsters under the bed everywhere after a few bad beats.

I'm really bad at blind steal/defense. I would probably be better off if I never tried to either steal or defend.

DCWildcat
09-14-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest flaw is wanting to quit if I get off to a flying start in a session, say like up 30BB in the first half hour. You gotta stay in there in order to have a really big win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This. When I win, I leave, when I lose, I stay. It's bad.

Paxosmotic
09-14-2005, 03:44 AM
After getting linked to the other thread where people were listing their strengths and weaknesses, I've decided this thread should be about that. So I'll start.

Strengths
-Draws. I get as much money in as possible on the flop while my equity edge is ginormous, which serves to disguise my hand and let me profit hugely on the big bet streets when my draw comes in.
-Pocket pairs. Easy to play, and always a welcome sight to me.
-Tilt control. I do not tilt at the table. Ever. I'll discuss this more in weaknesses.
-Dedication. I don't know that you can find any two people combined in ML who put in as many hours a week on their poker game as I do.
-Math. I love doing the math of a problem away from the table, usually bouncing ideas back and forth with Eeegah.
-Marginality. I spend so much time thinking about the game away from the table that I crave those ridiculously close decisions. 64s flopping T54r? I love it.
-Big blind play. I think it's due to my comfort with backdoor draws and marginal hands, but I've really come a long way with this.

Weaknesses:
-Overcards. I love firing with overcards. Oh god how I love betting overcards.
-Tilt control. I tilt away from the table. Frequently. That's because of...
-Dedication. I think about this game a lot. Way more than I should.
-Hand ranges. As my math skillz have gone up, I've gotten worse about putting opponents on hand ranges. I need to make a conscious effort to place an opponent on a range and make the play with the most EV against that range.
-Small blind play. Like a blind man in the dark.

POKhER
09-14-2005, 04:18 AM
If i knew.... I'd of fixed it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lufbradolly
09-14-2005, 05:32 AM
Playing out of position, mainly from the blinds.

jrz1972
09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I know a lot of you guys are in college and will be hitting the job market some day, so here's some free advice.

When somebody asks you what your biggest flaw is, there are two acceptable answers:

1. "I work too hard."
2. "I'm too much of a perfectionist."

Anything else is -EV.

09-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Although funny, I think those responses are horribly dishonest and employers tend to attach -EV to them.

jrz1972
09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although funny, I think those responses are horribly dishonest and employers tend to attach -EV to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree, but they're both better than "I tend to waste a lot of time every day posting on message boards" or "I can't keep my hands of hotties."

09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, it is a little better than that, but I think as long as you say something a little honest, a bit unrelated, and as general as can be, employers will tend to accept that. Like the one I used was, "I don't have any real office job experience as I have just graduated from college."

Paxosmotic
09-14-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it is a little better than that, but I think as long as you say something a little honest, a bit unrelated, and as general as can be, employers will tend to accept that. Like the one I used was, "I don't have any real office job experience as I have just graduated from college."

[/ QUOTE ]
How about "My biggest flaw is that I tend to answer cliche'd questions such as that by telling the person who asked it how played out that question is."

tiltaholic
09-14-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you guys are in college and will be hitting the job market some day, so here's some free advice.

When somebody asks you what your biggest flaw is, there are two acceptable answers:

1. "I work too hard."
2. "I'm too much of a perfectionist."

Anything else is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer the dubya -- "i can't think of anything" answer.

now that's class.

i think both of your answers are not very good ones and i'm having a hard time thinking of one. the best i can do is "i'm my own worst critic".

regarding poker, my current biggest flaw is thinking i can win at 5/10 without paying attention to the action or to the table texture playing more tables than i am comfortable with, and without flopping sets, flushes, and straights a lot like i did in my first 500 hands. having typed that out i am being to fully realize how dumb i have been the past few weeks.

digitalis
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
I have this problem too. I try to out-LAG LAGs. In general I have trouble responding to possible bluffs/semi-bluffs.

09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
My biggest flaw is overplaying 99. Or, to be more general, 22-TT and AQ/AK.

Come on guys, flush draw on the board, A-high can win, right?

- thing85 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif