PDA

View Full Version : Raise again or just call?

ElSapo
05-01-2003, 12:19 PM
In MP, I find AA. Sweet. One limper to me and I raise, LP calls 2 cold, BB calls and the limper calls. Flop comes KT4r and I’m mentally counting chips. EP bets out, I raise, LP calls 2 again, BB folds and EP calls. Turn is a 9, completes the rainbow, and I’m figuring EP will check to me. Nope, he bets out and I pause for a moment before raising. LP folds this time and EP calls. River is a 2 and EP bets out again. I think for a moment, start to suspect I may be beat, wonder and hope he’ll have AK, start to fear KT, and finally just call.

Obviously I missed a bet here, as he turns over KQ for top pair good kicker. I just couldn’t see raising again after he continues to bet into me – even though he’s not raising. Perhaps this is an obvious raise, but at the time I was cautious. Does anyone else just call here? Or does the entire world including my sister raise him a third time?

Homer
05-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I would have played it exactly the same. When he bets the third time it is reasonable to just call. There is a good chance you are up against a straight or two-pair. Now that you know this opponent will keep betting with top-pair despite your raises, hammer him the next time you have an overpair.

-- Homer

Bob T.
05-01-2003, 12:30 PM
You told him three times that you liked your hand, and he just keeps firing. I think that you have to start to be concerned. I would have called on the river as you did.

Louie Landale
05-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Your first reaction with pre- or post- flop goods should be "how should I play this" not "sweet chips" or whatever. Relish in (or gloat about) your win on the way to the cashier; invest your energy at the table in playing well.

You should have started to SUSPECT you MAY be beat when he bet into you on the turn, although raising is still correct. Otherwise, calling the river is pretty routine.

But wait!!! What's really going on here??? The UTG player appears to have a adopted the philosophy that if his hand is worth a call he might as well bet it. It is VERY likely he will retain the philosphy and you can expect him to continue to bet like this. Therefore you should tend to keep raising, and also tend to check-raise him when he has position. Better watch him closely to confirm, but I'll bet for him this odd-betting patterns are routine.

But Wait again!!! Maybe he's not a real player but some sort of computer player; if so he's going to bet out with that hand everytime.

- Louie