PDA

View Full Version : Ways of getting around an Office internet Proxy *DELETED*

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Before this gets moved, I will do you a favor.

I work in a corporate NOC (Network Operating Center). If you value your job, forget it.

We see all. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jaydub
09-13-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before this gets moved, I will do you a favor.

I work in a corporate NOC (Network Operating Center). If you value your job, forget it.

We see all. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I run one and concur. We're like the eye in the sky....

Better to go with a cell modem on a personal laptop.

IHateKeithSmart
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM
I am a computer security researcher/consultant. There are some fairly simple ways to get out of most office proxies/firewalls, but I'd listen to these fine NOC guys and not attempt it.

Sites like anonymizer tend to not work through most corporate proxies, but often ssh can find it's way out (you can easily proxy ssh through an http/https proxy).

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 02:55 PM
I guess if you guys don't know of way then it really isn't that possible. Thanks.

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Just because the proxy doesn't recognize the packets going through it, doesn't mean nobody knows your workstation is sending and receiving weird traffic.

And if anybody gets curious enough to sniff your traffic, and sees that it's anonymous proxy stuff, you're going to get some unwelcome attention.

It's not that there's no way around the proxy server. It's just that there's no way you can run traffic that can't be looked at.

09-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Internet monitoring of employee surfing/e-mail is illegal except in certain circumstances. There are a few cases out there where employees have sued and won. The legal test for what is considered consent by an employee to monitoring is not clear cut.

FYI

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Ha ha ha. I'd like to see what cases you're citing. You are on company time, using company equipment and bandwidth, but what you surf on the Internet is your own business?

I don't think the OP can afford a lawyer that good.

09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
OOOOO YEAH

09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
In my office several people use XPs remote desktop to use a home puter to view blocked internet sites, play games ect. I'm not a nerd so I have no clue about how to do it other that it's a set of build in options, the one time I tried to set it up almost cost me a monitor. Basicaly only images are sent to your work computer from an unknown address all the connecting to stuff and processes are run from the remote computer.

jaydub
09-13-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Internet monitoring of employee surfing/e-mail is illegal except in certain circumstances. There are a few cases out there where employees have sued and won. The legal test for what is considered consent by an employee to monitoring is not clear cut.

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

You are speaking out of your ass. Please stop before you get some unwitting person fired.

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

You are speaking out of your ass. Please stop before you get some unwitting person fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaydub preaches truth. Also, better look really, really, hard at the employee agreement you signed when you took the job. Because unless your company is being run by idiots, your signature is below a clause saying the the company owns your digital ass.

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Appreciate the inside info Chip. Figured it was a long shot, I did however read something about what that previous poster said about using a remote desktop. Any thoughts on this.

jaydub
09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Appreciate the inside info Chip. Figured it was a long shot, I did however read something about what that previous poster said about using a remote desktop. Any thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, it would be really cool to hijack their remote desktop connection, open Word on their home pc, and puit YOU'RE FIRED in big bold letters.

The highest of high comedy right there. Unfortunately legal would probably prefer a slightly different approach, bastards....

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Unless your traffic is 'out of band', using a modem of some kind, I woudn't try it.

If it's going through that patch cord that connects your workstation to the wall, or through the building's wireless network, it is being monitored. There is absolutely no way around this.

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't really have the stones to try any of this anyway, but I was just interested.

TheWorstPlayer
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really have the stones to try any of this anyway, but I was just interested.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try telling IT guys that you need increased access for your work. That actually did the trick for me at a previous employer.

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately legal would probably prefer a slightly different approach, bastards....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the way it usually works:

A. Nobody really cares what you surf at your desk. If your productivity is OK, and nobody's leveling sexual harassment charges at you, you're probably fine.

B. Let's say, however, that the Bobs or Lundberg has a bee up their ass about you. For whatever reason, doesn't have to be fair.

C. Your surfing habits are going to be jumped on like a hobo on a cheese sandwich. (sorry, that's a phrase the boss of my NOC loves, he's such a [censored] Frank Burns it's hilarious)

The first email or website that's outside the parameters of what you agreed to when you were hired, is going to get you fired.

It's not that they're breathing down your neck. It's that they hold the scissors outside the thread that's holding the sword that's over your head.

Hey, that rhymes! I should throw down on that hip hop thread. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Do IT guys get their rocks off by catching people?

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 05:13 PM
No.

Word will come down, "Put a sniffer on WS # blah blah blah." Or, "Scan the proxy log for blah blah blah". In my company, it's all numbers. Unless I knew the inventory number (aka name of) your computer, I wouldn't even know it was you.

CollinEstes
09-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Only asked because of Jaydub's last post. And from my experinces with IT people at three different jobs where all of them seem to have a bloated since of authority.

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Meh. Lots of IT people are arrogant. To me, it's like some kind of postmodern priesthood... I know [censored] that you don't because I know how TCP/IP works. BFD. Mostly IMO this comes from poor dicks who can't get laid who will grab onto any shred of coolness they can think of.

I'm about to snooze for a bit to get ready for tonight's shift in the tank, but I'll mention the last deal like this that I was involved in.

We got an email from the head of the Network Security dept. that originated from Symantec. "We have determined that IP address so and so is running Kazza." So the guy forwards it to us, "Find out what the hell this address is." Our thought was: You're head of network security, it took you longer to forward this email than it would to track down this address, but whatever. We start a trouble ticket. We isolate the address, it's one of our servers. Uh oh. I forward the ticket to the server guys, "Hey, FYI, here's what we found out." Ticket comes back with a testy note about "Yeah, so what?" We forward that all on to the security guy and never heard any more about it.

jaydub
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only asked because of Jaydub's last post. And from my experinces with IT people at three different jobs where all of them seem to have a bloated since of authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

They frequently do depending on the company. It can be the typical above the law / policing others behavior.

That post in particular was just a way of reminding readers that they probably aren't as smart or original as they think. Plus I'm an ass /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 05:32 PM
LOL. I had to come back to this. Because yes, I wouldn't let you think you got a curve ball past me. I just wouldn't report you to the bosses about it.

I would SubSeven your ass and make your desktop screen turn upside down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Twitch1977
09-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Secure port tunneling through ssh will get the job done. They'll be able to see you have an ssh session open to a remote machine, but as for what that session is doing there isn't much they can do unless they have direct monitoring software on your workstation, which few places do.

T

jaydub
09-14-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Secure port tunneling through ssh will get the job done. They'll be able to see you have an ssh session open to a remote machine, but as for what that session is doing there isn't much they can do unless they have direct monitoring software on your workstation, which few places do.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I also recommend you put a sign over your workstation that says "I'm up to no good". The bolder the font, the better.

Seriously you twits are going to get someone FIRED.

09-14-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have no clue. Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs for a client who was fired for her internet use, just sit back and learn from me. Unlike my other posts, in this one I know exactly what I'm talking about. You guys think you can have an employee sign any agreement and then monitor his/her internet use at will? Yeah, the jurisprudence is that simple. Congress passed an act that said, and courts have ruled, "If an employee signs an agreement that their internet use may be monitored, then teh employer has free reign. No exceptions." Yeah right. Go to your local law library and find all the statutes and relevant cases on this subject (and read the enormous amount of literature in law reviews) and then come back to me and try to give me a simple-minded "yes/no" response.

Seriously, for poker players (who are supposed to reasonably intelligent), you disappoint me.

ChipWrecked
09-14-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs

[/ QUOTE ]

And billing for every second, too, I'm sure.

I'd rather just be aware that I'm running a risk when I surf non-work related sites, than make your M3 payment, thanks.

09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs

[/ QUOTE ]

And billing for every second, too, I'm sure.

I'd rather just be aware that I'm running a risk when I surf non-work related sites, than make your M3 payment, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I made enough for an M3. I'm far from wealthy and I work in a place where don't bill by the hour (I'm one of the do-gooders). Hence why I play poker.

StevieG
09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do IT guys get their rocks off by catching people?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but they get paid to find unusual network activity and investigate. Like ChipWrecked said, this will generate a flag for someone.

Bottom line, do not sh1t where you eat.