PDA

View Full Version : The new hand converter

greenage
09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Please do not post any more hands with grb137’s hand converter until we can figure out whether or not he stole the code from me. If he can prove that he did not, then he and the entire forum will get a heartfelt apology from me. If he can’t then I will take the matter to the administrators of 2+2.

greenage

Aicirt
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please do not post any more hands with grb137’s hand converter until we can figure out whether or not he stole the code from me. If he can prove that he did not, then he and the entire forum will get a heartfelt apology from me. If he can’t then I will take the matter to the administrators of 2+2.

greenage

[/ QUOTE ]

Im no lawyer by any means, but shouldnt this be on an innocent until proven guilty basis?

Especially since all that youre basing this off is the output. As a programmer, the formatting of the output is such a small part of the code itself that you cant really blame him just because his output has a few similarities to yours.

Plus his only works for Party and not for Stars. And there were bugs in his code that did not exist with your code. Signs of bugs in the code should be a huge sign to you that he did not steal your code.

Aicirt

greenage
09-13-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus his only works for Party and not for Stars. And there were bugs in his code that did not exist with your code. Signs of bugs in the code should be a huge sign to you that he did not steal your code.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bugs could have been introduced in his attempts to disguise the code. I won’t say anymore until grb137 has had a chance to respond.

lstream
09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Greenage,

I think you should work this out privately with grb, rather than making public accusations like this. People here just want to post hands, not steal your software. What real harm is there in a few hands being posted with grb's converter while the two of you work this out? If it really turns out that the software is stolen, then I am sure no-one will have any issue with not using the converter. On the other hand, if it is not stolen (innocent to proven guilty is how I am looking at this) then I don't think you should be mixing up all of us in this. After all, we are just the users here, and under no obligation to take orders from the group that bought your code. We just want to get back to discussing hands.

mscags
09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We just want to get back to discussing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bremen
09-13-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im no lawyer by any means, but shouldnt this be on an innocent until proven guilty basis?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm no lawyer either, but I doubt he even can legally stop people from using his converter, given he gave away source code. The copy I have came with no license so standard copyright applies. Although to avoid a legal fight I'm sure 2+2 would back greenage (its a losing battle anyway as sites change hand histories his converter will cease to work in its current form).

dandy_don
09-13-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What real harm is there in a few hands being posted with grb's converter while the two of you work this out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because money is now involved.

Bartholow
09-13-2005, 10:27 PM
You seem awfully cynical about money for someone posting on a poker forum.

Seriously, I applaud that. I'm an anarcho-communist myself and yet a poker pro. Am I avoiding selling out to the man or just avoiding doing anything productive?

peritonlogon
09-13-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an anarcho-communist myself and yet a poker pro. Am I avoiding selling out to the man or just avoiding doing anything productive?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL is this really an either or question?

jon_1van
09-13-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I applaud that. I'm an anarcho-communist myself and yet a poker pro. Am I avoiding selling out to the man or just avoiding doing anything productive?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was might funny.

dandy_don
09-14-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I applaud Greenage's ability to profit from his work, I just have a problem with the way he's throwing accusations around in a public forum for everyone to see and the harsh demands of "stop until I find out you're not a thief..." demands. Greenage's attitude with this forum has changed now that money has entered the picture.

Bartholow
09-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Everyone, including me, is giving Greenage a hard time abou this. But ask yourself what the best way for him to handle this would be. Some are saying he should be handling this privately with GRB; that's exactly what he's trying to do, except he wanted to stop people using the converter in the mean time. To this end, he simply asked the group (perhaps a bit stridently). I admire the respect in that, actually. I do think he went a bit overboard with his tone, especially in some followup posts, but I appreciate it more than seeing a post from Mat/2+2 saying they've been contacted already by lawyers and we should all stop, or even harsher measures.

kyleb
09-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Until I see a temporary injunction order that stops me from using grb's new convertor, his ignorant threats of actions from lawyers mean nothing.

Bartholow
09-14-2005, 01:30 PM
The threats mean nothing to me either, but I respect greenage and appreciate his contributions, so I will hold off on using the converter.

09-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree with this, but I do hope that we can get this sorted out as soon as possible, and get a working converter that we can use without these problems. I'm quite happy not to use it until this is resolved, but if anyone could build one that definitely doesn't infringe on copyright I'm sure we'd all be very grateful.

PoorLawyer
09-14-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, but I do hope that we can get this sorted out as soon as possible, and get a working converter that we can use without these problems. I'm quite happy not to use it until this is resolved, but if anyone could build one that definitely doesn't infringe on copyright I'm sure we'd all be very grateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd build one but when I was in college we had Mosaic, which was the precurser to netscape, and checked our email on some funky telnet dial up thing. Also, nobody in college had a cell phone, but I could use my dad's car phone when I was home for the summer. Something tells me I am not the man for the job.

peritonlogon
09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd build one but when I was in college we had Mosaic, which was the precurser to netscape, and checked our email on some funky telnet dial up thing. Also, nobody in college had a cell phone, but I could use my dad's car phone when I was home for the summer. Something tells me I am not the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'd be more than willing build one too, but I can't figure out how to boot up logowriter on my new laptop, and my 22oz hammer is just a hair too big for finish work.