PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 hand. No, wait, make that two 44 hands….

ElSapo
05-01-2003, 11:57 AM
In the SB, I get 44. Three callers to me, I complete and BB checks. Flop comes 676. I check, EP limper bets out. I fold. Should I have bet out here or is this a check-fold situation?

Next hand, on the button, and I get 44 again. “Ah!” I say to myself, “this time I will play better.” One limper, I raise, SB and BB call and the limper calls. Flop comes A22. “I have an overpair if we play this for low,” I think. SB bets out, folded to me, and I call. Maybe this is a raise? Turn is a 7, bet-fold.

Maybe the third time’s the charm? Comments appreciated…

Homer
05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
1st Hand

Preflop - Completing with 44 in the SB is routine.

Flop - You shouldn't bet out against this many opponents because someone will call or raise almost every time, given that the flop came paired low with a connecting card. The following hands will call or raise: 7's, 6's, overcards, straight draws (open-ended and gutshot) and overpairs (88-99). Okay, you shouldn't bet out. Should you call a bet? No, because you don't have close to the correct odds to spike a set. So, check-folding is clearly best.

2nd Hand

Preflop - Folding, calling and raising can all be argued for. If the blinds are tight and you can get it heads-up with the limper (and possibly take it down with a bet on the flop), then raising is fine. If the blinds will call a raise most of the time then you should either call or fold, depending on how likely these players are to pay you off should you spike a set. My default play is to fold after only one limper in a tight game and to call in a loose game. I rarely raise in this situation, but perhaps I should try it more often.

Flop - What could SB be betting into you with? You raised preflop, so there is a good chance you have an Ace. There are no draws out there, so he isn't betting a draw. Looks like he has a weak Ace, a 2, a small-medium pocket pair, or is bluffing. Most players wouldn't bluff here and most would wait slowplay trips, so you are most likely up against a weak Ace or a pocket pair. You won't get him to fold an Ace by raising (if he is a typical low-limit player). You might be able to get a better pocket pair to fold (55-99) by raising, however. If you don't think this will work, fold immediately. I don't like calling the flop bet and folding to the turn bet against low-limit players. Sane opponents might realize that you raised preflop and called on an A22 flop, causing them to slow down on the turn, thereby giving you the information you need for a single small bet. But most low-limit players will keep betting blindly until they are explicity told that they are beaten. Thus, just calling on the flop doesn't serve a purpose. Raise or fold.

-- Homer