PDA

View Full Version : Is it always this tough during the day?

321Mike
09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
I work in the evenings and play at Party and skins (.50/1 6 max) after work. So I'm usually playing in the 10pm to 2am range (eastern time). I've been having good success at that time. However, over the last two weeks I've had a chance to play before work - about 11am to 2pm. This has not worked out for me at all. The players I've run into have been much better. Less loose (I wouldn't say they're tight, just less loose), more aggressive, and they seem to actually think about their post-flop play.

I did expect the daytime players to be better, but I didn't expect to see such a marked difference at such a low limit. Anybody else experience this? Or maybe just bad table selection on my part?

NoTalent
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
People that play in the daytime are usually just grinding it out. They may be college students or other small time pro's that have to be good. At night you have more of the play for fun types.

Hornacek
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People that play in the daytime are usually just grinding it out. They may be college students or other small time pro's that have to be good. At night you have more of the play for fun types.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too sure how many "pros" and "sharks" are tearing up the .5/1 game, but there are definitely less drunk bastards and completely loose maniacs playing at that time.

otter
09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
In general, during the day all games and all limits are tougher.

StacysMom
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too sure how many "pros" and "sharks" are tearing up the .5/1 game, but there are definitely less drunk bastards and completely loose maniacs playing at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also good practice learning to play agianst players who have some understanding of the game.

Tk79
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
I wouldnt think that table selection should be all that important at .5/1 at any time of day. I also dont think you are playing against .5/1"pros" during the day. You may just be experiencing some fluctuations.

MicroBob
09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
no....there certainly aren't as many total drunks as there are during the evenings. But .5/1 should still be completely crushable regardless of the time of day your are playing it.

If you're finding that you aren't really seeing any flaws in your opponents' play to take advantage of then it is YOUR game that you need to work on.
ABC poker will be enough to beat .5/1 at any time.

321Mike
09-13-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're finding that you aren't really seeing any flaws in your opponents' play to take advantage of then it is YOUR game that you need to work on.
ABC poker will be enough to beat .5/1 at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]
My game definitely needs work. I understand and embrace that I suck at poker. That's why I:
a) study/review hands for 1 hour for every hour played.
b) lurk in the 2+2 forums
c) play against the worst players I can find. i.e. .5/1 at Party

I think I used the wrong word in the topic. I didn't want to suggest the players I was running into were really good. I just noticed that they were significantly better than what I am used to (which is truly terrible).

I've been going back over some of my day and night sessions and I think that Hornacek was right that the real issue is not that the decent players are better, but that there are fewer really bad players. A typical midnight table has 1 decent player, 4 clueless players, and me (maybe that makes 5 clueless players). The typical noon table (based on a very small sample) has 2-3 decent players, and only 2 chip spewers besides me.

I also think Stacy's Mom is right. I don't see myself getting much better playing against the very worst I can find. It's time for me to start playing against people that are slightly better than the very worst players I can find. Party 1/2 here I come!

By the way, any advice on stepping up to full ring vs. sticking with 6 max?

uaw420rook
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Unless your bankroll is not an issue, I wouldn't recommend moving up until you are beating the .50/1 game. It looks like you have the right approach, but you should have 600 bucks in your bankroll to withstand normal variance at the level your moving up to. If your poker money is extra money and your don't need it, than by all means give it a shot, if your beating the lower level game.

also invest in a hand tracker program. If you havent already. It will make your study time more productive once you get a handle of the stats and what they mean.

blackize
09-13-2005, 07:47 PM
6 max is a better way to learn as you have to make more decisions. It is also more profitable because you see more hands per hour. It sounds to me that you are nowhere near ready to move up though.

TimsterToo
09-14-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's time for me to start playing against people that are slightly better than the very worst players I can find. Party 1/2 here I come!

By the way, any advice on stepping up to full ring vs. sticking with 6 max?

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice would be to first learn 0,50/1 full ring. Also I don't think it's "stepping up" to full ring. It's a bit of a different animal. In general I think that succesfully playing 6 max is harder then playing full ring as it's less ABC.

jrz1972
09-14-2005, 08:24 AM
If you're not consistently beating .5/1 at all times of day, you shouldn't even consider moving up. Seriously.