PDA

View Full Version : playing online

09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Only recently I started playing online, only about 2 weeks or so now. Last few times I've played I've done well for a while, but then just sorta became distracted/disinterested. I know that environment is very important, but seeing as my computer is in my room, there's not really much I can do to change that...I'm guessing this is a fairly common occurrence, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

jkkkk
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Listen to music and post on 2+2.

BarronVangorToth
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm never on my computer without a DVD playing...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Watching "Six Feet Under" season 4 right now...

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Doesnt it chop up when you've got a dvd playing and pokertracker/partypoker running simultaneously?

One idea that I might start doing... Getting "learning to speak [whatever language]" tapes and listening to them while playing. Speaking multiple languages is classy.

Neil Stevens
09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
I find that having things to keep my mind occupied between hands I'm in is necessary if I'm going to play decent numbers of hours.

2+2 forums, music, and the television all can serve that role.

09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I disagree with all of the above suggestions.

I think anything that you do that pulls you away from the game will reduce the quality of your play. Instead of adding distractions, remove them all from sight. Clear off your desk, close your door, eat/drink before you start, turn off music. It's you and the game and that's it. Concentrate on what players are doing, how many hands they play, how aggressive are they, are they on tilt, etc. The big problem in online play is that there are more distractions available at your fingertips than in live play. You need to avoid the temptation to do anything other than concentrate on the game.

Some people advocate multitabling as a way to stay focussed on gameplay. Just be aware that when you multitable, you are playing a larger number of hands at a lower expectation per hand. The idea is that the amount you give up is more than made up for by playing twice as many hands.

Oh and turn off 2+2 and any instant messenger.

09-13-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people advocate multitabling as a way to stay focussed on gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats actually more along the lines of what I was thinking, but I figured there would be the associated downside of more to keep track of as well. I was expecting to see more responses like this (no music, no instant messager, etc).

There's so much downtime, even though the number of hands rises, that I always seem to end up at least having music playing...

JonPKibble
09-13-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only recently I started playing online, only about 2 weeks or so now. Last few times I've played I've done well for a while, but then just sorta became distracted/disinterested. I know that environment is very important, but seeing as my computer is in my room, there's not really much I can do to change that...I'm guessing this is a fairly common occurrence, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a carton of Camel non-filters?

Just kidding of course.

09-13-2005, 04:59 PM
If you are paying attention to the game as much as you should, then there shouldn't be as much downtime as you are experiencing.

The problem I find once the music starts is that slowly but surely the following events occur:
1. I like this song. I want to sing along.
2. I forget the words, so I look them up.
3. I see a link for another song I like.
4. I try to find that song on my list.
5. After that fails, I figure I should download it.
6. I search for the song and find another few songs I like.
7. I start downloading them all and watch their progress.
8. One of the songs reminds me of another song I wanted to play on guitar.
9. I go grab my guitar and see the kitchen and get hungry.
10. I go to make a snack and grab a quick drink.
11. I get back to my computer with my guitar and realize I left a pick at my friend's house.
12. I sign on to MSN to message my friend and people start talking to me....
13. All is lost!!!

It's not even a big exaggeration. And it's an example of how big a distraction can blow out of proportion. It's the reason I could never work at home. It's the reason I always studied in the library. Maybe I should play poker at the library....

09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I find I play much better without distractions. But if you are getting disinterested after a certain amount of time - take a break and then come back. Or stop playing for the day. I also have been trying to stop being such a sloth and on days when I don't have a regular gym workout, I try to do stuff in between hands. Meaning, if I fold PF, i do 5 push-ups or sit ups or stretch and am back at the table before the flop usually, so I can still pay attention to the other players, yet don't feel like I am completely physically disintigrating in from of the computer.

09-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Raphet, your workout strategy is probably also a good way to relieve stress. However, I would suggest sitting a round out once every 5-7 rounds to complete this task. It will refresh your head and still allow you to pay attention to the flow of players at the table while you are sitting with them.

peritonlogon
09-13-2005, 06:25 PM
get laptop with wireless internet. you can play outside, in the living room, in the study, in the kitchen, or, my favorite, in the bathroom.

bryan4967
09-14-2005, 12:29 AM
word.

The Don
09-14-2005, 01:53 AM
8 table

BarronVangorToth
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt it chop up when you've got a dvd playing and pokertracker/partypoker running simultaneously?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - when I bought this system, I had my buddy make sure it was able to do precisely that without having any problems.

However, I will say that for many people (most?) I would not recommend multi-tabling while doing other things; granted, I only play 4 tables at a time, but if you can't multi-task, you'll perhaps do more harm than good by doing this...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

vexvelour
09-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm actually trying something new for this problem.

I'm going to change my schedule so that I go to the gym for however long, come home, take a shower and then sit and play. My excess nervous energy will be gone and I know my lazy butt isn't gonna wanna do anything except sit here. I'll let you know how it goes.

09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Warning vex: you may be burnt out from the gym and likely will not be playing your top game.

Sniper
09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
turn off music

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people can actually concentrate better with music playing in the background that blocks out all other distractions.

You should do whatever you can to increase your concentration on the game. There are differences between people in this regard.

09-16-2005, 07:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
I disagree with all of the above suggestions.

Instead of adding distractions, remove them all from sight. Clear off your desk, close your door, eat/drink before you start, turn off music. It's you and the game and that's it. Concentrate on what players are doing, how many hands they play, how aggressive are they, are they on tilt, etc. The big problem in online play is that there are more distractions available at your fingertips than in live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if a agre in most of what u are saying u donīt know what u are talking about when u say that is more distraction at home.