PDA

View Full Version : Detailed plumbing question

SomethingClever
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Ok, if anyone knows anything about this, I could really use some help.

I'm replacing the faucet, handle and shower head in a bathtub (I'm also tiling the surround).

So, to put the new gear in, I need to replace the plumbing in the wall... the new "distributor" that goes with the new handle, etc.

Ok, I got the wall open on both sides, and I cut the old stuff out. Here's how it looks. There are two old supply lines (galvanized pipe, although most of the plumbing in the house is copper). I have a threaded adapter screwed into both, which goes into a length of copper pipe. Then there are elbows which go into two more threaded adapters that go into the "distributor.

We dry fit the whole thing, sweated it, and got it all together.

Turned on the water... and the 4 threaded connections are leaking! The two from the old galvie to the new copper, and the two from the elbows into the distributor.

So, to clarify... all the welds are solid. No leaks to be found. But the threaded connections are pretty much all leaking very, very slightly. I don't know how to fix this. We used teflon tape and wrenched the [censored] out of them, and they're still leaking.

Any thoughts as to why this is happning? Could we have heated the teflon tape too much while we were sweating the pipe?

Any suggestions on how to fix it? Potentially without having to take the whole thing apart?

swede123
09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
I was hoping this would be about pooping. Posts about pooping are more fun.

Swede

bosoxfan
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I hear duct tape fixes everything.

tonypaladino
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Get some vinyl tape at a plumbing supply store, you will have to undo the threaded connections, wrap the tape tightly around the threads, and redo the connections

SomethingClever
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get some vinyl tape at a plumbing supply store, you will have to undo the threaded connections, wrap the tape tightly around the threads, and redo the connections

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this vinyl tape better than the teflon tape that we used?

Bluffoon
09-13-2005, 12:22 PM
There is a plumbing "glue" that you can use for this. I think it is called pipe dope or something. It comes in a small tube and looks a little like caulk. Works great but you will have to take it apart, spread it evenly on the threads and reassemble.

MrTrik
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some brands are labeled 'plumbers tape'. Whatever that stuff is is the right stuff to use. It's always worked for me.

tonypaladino
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I wasn't aware you used any tape. They work about equally as well in my experience.

tonypaladino
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
oops, it was in the OP, my baad

Hiding
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
The pipe dope is correct, make sure it is the correct kind. For joining copper to cooper, plastic to copper,galvanized to copper, etc.

As everyone else said though, you are going to have to dismantle it.