PDA

View Full Version : going to europe

unlucky513
09-13-2005, 08:53 AM
i'm thinking about taking a trip to europe with the girlfriend next summer.. i had a few questions, hopefully enough OOT'ers have made the trip accross the pond to answer.

-where did you get your plane tickets? how much were they?
-how much can i expect to spend on a 2 or 3 week trip?
-what cities did you go to? how'd you get around?

any other advice or whatever is appreciated.

kenberman
09-13-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where did you get your plane tickets? how much were they?

[/ QUOTE ]

the internet

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends entirely on what you want to spend/do, and where you'll be going (Paris/London, or Warsaw/Prague).

[ QUOTE ]
what cities did you go to? how'd you get around?

[/ QUOTE ]

do some research, and figure out what interests you. then go there.

also, there have been like 5 European travel threads this summer. try looking through those

unlucky513
09-13-2005, 09:23 AM
thank you sir, for absolutely nothing.

pokerdirty
09-13-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm thinking about taking a trip to europe with the girlfriend next summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone else see anything wrong with this statement?

HesseJam
09-13-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm thinking about taking a trip to europe with the girlfriend next summer.. i had a few questions, hopefully enough OOT'ers have made the trip accross the pond to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

tickets: If you can handle a German website, try www.flugbuchung.com (http://www.flugbuchung.com) . On the main page go to "Linienflüge". They have one of the best fares worldwide.

New York Frankfurt is about $400.

2-3 week trip has been answered by the poster above. Nobody can answer your question if you do not give specifics (what type of accommodation, where do you want to go, how many cities do you want to see, how do you want to eat, what events do you want to see, etc.) Europe is possible on a shoestring as well as spending a few riches.

You need to give specifics about what you like to see, do, etc. Europe has way more exciting places than North America, is much more culturally diverse and compared to North America evrything is crammed into the size of a shoe box. You can enter a different world every 200 miles.

unlucky513
09-13-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tickets: If you can handle a German website, try www.flugbuchung.com (http://www.flugbuchung.com) . On the main page go to "Linienflüge". They have one of the best fares worldwide.

New York Frankfurt is about $400.

2-3 week trip has been answered by the poster above. Nobody can answer your question if you do not give specifics (what type of accommodation, where do you want to go, how many cities do you want to see, how do you want to eat, what events do you want to see, etc.) Europe is possible on a shoestring as well as spending a few riches.

You need to give specifics about what you like to see, do, etc. Europe has way more exciting places than North America, is much more culturally diverse and compared to North America evrything is crammed into the size of a shoe box. You can enter a different world every 200 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the help - as for accommodations, i don't need to stay anywhere nice, as long as its cheap. are there places for traveling students?

i definitely want to go to london, paris, amsterdam and germany. i'm not interested in eating something classy every night, although the occasional nice dinner in each city would be nice. as for events, i can't think of anything particular i want to go to, maybe a soccer game.
i'm into history and sight seeing, so i'd want to see as many of those type things as i can.

so how much do you think a 2-3 week trip like that would cost?

Dirk1963
09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Welcome to Germany then...
Places to visit...
Hamburg (with its famous RLD Reeperbahn )
Cologne ( ancient Roman buildings + the Dome + the Kölsch Beer /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )
Munich ( City, Shopping, Beeeer!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

By the way: Should you plan to visit Cologne, its quite easy to come to the "Green Hell" aka The Nurburgring, our 15 miles Rollercoaster-Racetrack. If you know GT4, you know what i mean.
If you would like a lap with me and my <font color="blue">car </font> (http://www.hil-speed.de/2005_09_03_glp/web_1/005_5539.html), feel free to PM me then.

Emmitt2222
09-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Eurorail - the way everyone travels around europe, 10 day should do the trick for you

Ryanair - if you are traveling far across europe you may want to use this, tickets can cost as little as $15 after tax.

hostels - the places that basically all students stay cheap

expenses - honestly no one can give you an estimate for the millionth time. I met people who could do 10$/day others who couldn't do less than $100 day. I will randomly guess for you about 2-3k.

It sounds like you know nothing about this. Read some material online or in a book about backpacking across Europe. Dont go too many places, you burn out fast. Italy.

highlife
09-13-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm thinking about taking a trip to europe with the girlfriend next summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone else see anything wrong with this statement?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. dump the girlfriend and go to amsterdam for two weeks.

hobbsmann
09-13-2005, 10:56 AM
With the trip you described below I think you can get away with spending 40 Euros/day/person in Western Europe excluding travel expenses. A couple of years ago I spent a month of the summer traveling around Europe and spent $1700 total (note: airfare was cheaper than now and the dollar was worth a little more then).