PDA

View Full Version : American Idol and race

Jedi Poker
05-01-2003, 12:25 AM
I was shocked that Ruben, who is one of the best singers anywhere, was voted at the bottom two. While Josh Gracin, who had a very poor performance last night, safely made the top three. Could it be that race is a factor in American Idol? Or is Josh just benefiting from the Patriotism that naturally comes with a war?

Easy E
05-01-2003, 12:28 AM
They needed to shock the audience.... ratings must be down, so scare them into the "Ruben might be OUT?!?!?" mode and get ratings picked up next week....

Or the money was too heavy on Ruben, so the bookies arranged for some layoff protection

Glenn
05-01-2003, 01:11 AM
I think it is a combination of 2 things...

1. The general populace is a bunch of idiots and has no taste.
2. Everyone was so sure that Ruben was safe since he is always so good they instead voted for their second favorite.

I have predicted this the whole time (Josh in final 4) so I can say I told ya so, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

Glenn
05-01-2003, 01:38 AM
I just checked the futures on wsex. Josh futures still have a bid price of 0 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I think that a lot of it is wackos calling 1000 times or using computers to automatically dial the number over and over like with nikki last season. I hate to say it but they should start charging for the call to prevent this. Something like 50 cents/call. Then take the money earned by the votes for each contestant and donate it to a charity chosen by that contestant.

TimTimSalabim
05-01-2003, 02:29 AM
They've got to either a) charge for the call, or b) change the voting system that you vote to eliminate someone, instead of keeping someone in. If they did that, nearly every Clay/Kim/Trenyce/Ruben fan would have united to oust Josh, and he'd be gone this week. Under the current system, no one knows who to vote *for* in order to oust the one contestant who is sucking the life out of the show. It's a bad system, and it's what causes anomalies like Ruben winding up in the bottom two.

TimTimSalabim
05-01-2003, 02:31 AM
Sad a commentary as it is, yes, there are people who vote for Mr. Disgracin simply because he's a Marine.