PDA

View Full Version : And i'm back to whine again. Played with me? extra time? help pls.

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 06:07 AM
80k hands of 5/10 6max, and I'm at about 0.5BB/100 with the last 60k hands being losing... I started a new database in September and am too retarded to combine it wit august and graph it both together. So here are the 2 graphs of august/sept.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4038/graph15vy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5889/graph23zb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
So...basically after my first week of playing, I had more profit (quite a bit more) than I do now. I'm surviving off of rakeback pretty much.

Here's the progress(?) i've made since my last whine post:
I've hired a coach to look over some of my hands. My major issue was passive blind play, which I think I've improved quite a bit. I'm tossing out more bets on non-drawy boards against a weak limping SB. Fighting harder for the BB from the SB, folding to steal less from the BB. I was flat calling steals from the SB before, which I know now is a mistake and have mostly stopped doing it. My folded SB to steal has gone up about 3 points from 82 to 85 because I'm making myself fold or raise more often. I'll adapt that better eventually.

I feel like i've got a pretty good idea of when to follow through with a turn bet on a whiffed steal. When to check and take a cheap showdown. When to check and take no showdown. Etc etc. Unless my grasp of the game is completely off, I think i'm doing that pretty well...

During the 2nd graph, and about the last 20k hands of the first, I cut out TV completely. I used to have it on while playing and now i dont. I try to make more player specific reads(beyond HUD stats) and it will alter my play maybe a few times a day - once every 1000 hands or so.

Oh...I also bought and read Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker at the beginning of September. Read through it, decided to stop raising KTo and QJo utg, not too many other significant game changes though.

The game had never really made me mad before. I would get disheartened, especially during the 400-500BB downswing, but never mad. This month i've slacked off on about 16 hours of play because I felt myself getting pissed and made myself stop playing. The weeks of no progress are starting to wear me down.

I think i've come to the conclusion that I could be missing some fundamental skills that I might just be overlooking while trying to find more detailed mistakes.

Oh...as for other random information.

I practice fairly decent game selection. 3 2+2ers and I usually leave. I dont go too far out of my way to find jucier games, but just make sure i'm not in a room with a bunch of 23/16s.

Stats -
22/17/2.5 River aggression is 1.62
Won$@showdown% when bet/raised the river is at 76.24. Last month it was nearly 80, so I've improved there. I think i've done a very good job of getting in value bets.
Fold SB to steal - 88% (i know, yuck, but i'm still getting used to the raise or fold idea)
Fold BB to steal - 65
Att to steal blinds - 32
Went to SD - 35
Won$ at SD - 55 <<this strikes me as VERY odd. Usually a number this high means I'm running well. I dont know what to make of it...

My preflop game is pretty much polished. I dont think that's where the issue is. So i'm screwing up somewhere post flop...probably screwing up big time. I just cant figure out where it is.

So if you have played with me, my screen name is DCWDiamonds, please take a moment to see if i'm royally screwing myself somehow.

Dont take my confidence in certain areas of play as arrogance. This is just what I feel about myself, not that my plays are actually correct. If I was confident about something that is a flaw, point it out.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Btw - a vacation isnt the answer...i pretty much had a 4 day break september 1-4.

wheelz
09-13-2005, 06:32 AM
link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3383209&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1)

Nietzsche
09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
I haven't played that many hands with you so I don't have that much to say. But we played a session yesturday, screen name Croccoa, and I didn't spot anything out of the ordinary when it comes to leaks except for one hand (but maybe your read was better than mine).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: DCW is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">DCW raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG (loose passive) calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, DCW calls.

River: (8.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, DCW calls.

This guy is the reason I was a this table. He is 75/2/0.6 in 300 hands, CR 0.5% so I fold this turn with no hesitation. For some reason he did pull a stunt here with T8o so your call was good on the turn /images/graemlins/smirk.gif but normally you have to let it go.

A while later I had AA against him on a ATT flop which he capped on the turn and bet/folded on the river. So apparently he liked being tricky on paired boards. Except for these two instances I thought this guy was very predictable. Did you have a different read?

From what I could tell (with so few hands) your play was solid, no unnecessary chip spewing, which is important IMO if you want to beat 5/10 for the max.

Btw. if you have any notes about my play or comments, I'd appreciate it.

krishanleong
09-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Who is your coach?

Krishan

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Krishan - Alobar

Nietz - Yeah that hand pissed me off pretty royally... That was a play that i'd rarely ever make, my gut was screaming that he was making a play, and I figured an A high would call down instead of make a move. Stupid 8h.

DMBFan23
09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
how's the berating going?

you still probably aren't betting the river enough, but that's a total conjecture

Wynton
I agree with Nietzche's analysis on that hand, and mention it because (unless you really had a great read), I think it's possible the hand reveals a potential issue. I think at 5/10, against a couple of players on the turn and no obvious draws, you usually have to pull back the aggression with something like K high.

But my 5/10 results are pretty mediocre recently, so take that with a grain of salt.

krishanleong
[ QUOTE ]
Krishan - Alobar

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing for a protracted I suck streak like this is more coaching. Try and do a HH swap with someone. Maybe offer to sweat someone. Reviewing someone elses hands and posting the ones you don't understand might work.

Krishan

emil3000
09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Krishan - Alobar

Nietz - Yeah that hand pissed me off pretty royally... That was a play that i'd rarely ever make, my gut was screaming that he was making a play, and I figured an A high would call down instead of make a move. Stupid 8h.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah those hands are the worst, when you make a good call on the turn an then they pair up on the river.

mdeck
09-13-2005, 11:29 AM
I only have a couple hundred hands on you, but I had a question on this one. Do you always lead any flop after initiation preflop action?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: DCW is MP with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">DCW raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9.80 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, DCW calls, calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (7.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, DCW calls, folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

This is minor, but why bet this flop? You have 4 clean outs at best and facing a big field. You're not ahead now and on this board this gets folded around for one SB like...never.

edit: fixed hand conversion

DMBFan23
09-13-2005, 11:41 AM
this flop bet is ok IMO with 2 overcards, a backdoor flush draw, and a gutshot. pot getting big. decent hand. maximize chance of winning.

ZZZ
09-13-2005, 11:42 AM
For what it's worth, I bet the flop. Hero has a decent draw (gutshot, overcards, backdoor flush) and wants to be checked to on the turn if he misses.

I raise the turn though, and I don't think it's minor.

ZZZ

mdeck
09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
That's true, it's clear I didn't look at this hand hard enough. I also like raising the turn, here.

7ontheline
09-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Yah, bet flop and raise turn.

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how's the berating going?

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] off fish /images/graemlins/wink.gif
seriously though, why wont you let that go?

[ QUOTE ]
you still probably aren't betting the river enough, but that's a total conjecture

[/ QUOTE ]
I really cant find much room for more value betting. Should I be able to tell when my AQ high is beating a weaker high card and toss out value bets there? Because aside from that I think i'm hitting nearly as much value as I can. the 76% won$ when bet/raised on the river is a pretty good number I thought.

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3383209&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem, wheels, is that im beginning to believe that it isnt a downswing, but a fatal error on my part. The goal of the thread is to find the error...

hobbsmann
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Betting the flop in that hand is very standard.

gildwulf
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
DCW,

I have you over the last 800 hands at 18/12/2.5...maybe you are tightening up too much recently? Or could be small sample size. Regardless, I have you down in my notes as too tight/very aggressive preflop, aggressive after flop, semi weak on turn.

Here is a wierd hand. I'm not sure I like your play on the flop (donkbetting from big blind in unraised pot)...I think a check-raise here would be better and then lead the turn if he doesn't 3-bet. Because of your play on the flop you have to play weak on the turn. I guess you tried to check-raise the river here and it didn't work:

***** Hand History for Game 2638439001 *****
$5/$10 Texas Hold'em - Friday, September 02, 00:45:19 EDT 2005
Table Table 11343 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Nefastis ( $289 )
Seat 2: DCWDiamonds ( $993 )
Seat 3: ronjs121 ( $237.93 )
Seat 4: poomachine ( $50.50 )
Seat 5: SpuriousG ( $307 )
Seat 6: Tinadisney ( $430.38 )
Nefastis posts small blind [$2].
DCWDiamonds posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
ronjs121 calls [$5].
poomachine calls [$5].
SpuriousG folds.
Tinadisney folds.
Nefastis folds.
DCWDiamonds checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, 5d, 4s ]
DCWDiamonds bets [$5].
ronjs121 raises [$10].
poomachine folds.
DCWDiamonds calls [$5].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ks ]
DCWDiamonds checks.
ronjs121 bets [$10].
DCWDiamonds calls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ 8s ]
DCWDiamonds checks.
ronjs121 checks.
DCWDiamonds shows [ 7h, 6d ] a straight, four to eight.
ronjs121 doesn't show [ 4h, Qd ] a pair of fours.
DCWDiamonds wins $54.50 from the main pot with a straight, four to eight.

Nietzsche
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Krishan - Alobar

[/ QUOTE ]
I can imagine being pissed off after a stunt like that from a loose passive but I think it is necessary to base decisions on something more substantial than gut reactions, unless there was some kind of read involved.

Here is another hand that I play differently. This is extremely minor, not even sure it is a mistake:

You hold J9o on the button. MP limps, you limp, I complete in the SB, BB checks.

Flop comes KT2, two spades I don't think you held one.
It is checked to you and you bet your gutshot. I CR and I think both called two cold.

Considering the chances of folding this field was almost zero (fish from the other hand was still in it among other things) + the risk of a CR I imagine this is slightly -EV to bet here. Or do you think the benefit of a free card, the times you are given a free turn card, outweighs it?

gildwulf
09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
The hand Nietzsche just posted is what I'm talking about your turn play. I think this is a pretty clear raise on the turn.

Nietzsche
09-13-2005, 12:56 PM
This is a must bet on the flop IMO. I see nothing wrong with it.

rory
09-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Your stats are the same as mine, which is why I think stats are not really a great indicator of how someone is playing unless they are playing really really 'bad'. I am a little less aggressive than you are and a little looser, but not much. So the good news is I think your stats look fine.

Everybody plays bad occasionally, so these posts asking for bad hands are sort of not the most useful way to get better, because you will just get a bunch of miserably played hands and not much else. Maybe it can identify some major leaks, but if you are beating the game for 0.5/100 then you don't have major major leaks. Probably a bunch of little ones.

I suggest that you should keep a notepad next to you when you play and jot down hand numbers that you think you had either a tough decision or hands that you think you misplayed. One good way to play is to limit your play to one or two tables, and after every hand you play look and see what everyone had and think to yourself what the best possible way to play was if you had known their hand. And then decide whether or not you could have known that is what their hand was, and if you played the hand correctly based on the information you had at the time. If you do this for all of your questionable hands, you will identify leaks in your play all by yourself. You will think you played a hand correct, but realize that you should have done something different if you knew what your opponents cards were. Then you will have that repeated so many times that you will realize your 'correct' play is wrong, and that you should do something else. If you made a bad river call jot the hand number down and say, "bad river call, nothing I could beat" or whatever It takes like two seconds to do after the hand is over. With repetition, you notice your mistakes. It is sort of cool to look over your last 50 sessions and see yourself making the same note over and over again.

If you run across a situation where you just cannot figure out what to do, or you aren't sure if you played it bad or not, post it to 2+2. Post everything you know about the player, post your own stats at the table for the session or other image based things, post it all. It helps if you jot the information down when the questionable hand happens-- your impression of your opponent at the time, etc.

I dunno I'm rambling again.

rory
09-13-2005, 01:43 PM
You can also write down your state of mind after a hand. I write down whenever I start to feel a little heat or if I am surprised that I do not feel heat or I feel good or bad. Any noticable thing. I catch myself much sooner when I am playing bad due to emotional concerns. If I am frustrated and start to feel unbalanced and tilty I have it written right down in front of me where it is impossible to ignore. If I am getting distracted, I write that down. I write down all kinds of stuff-- it keeps me focused and in the act of writing it down makes me more aware of things that are happening. I play a hand really bad, ok. I write it down and why. Then I write down that I'm feeling frustrated. And I see the badly played hand, and the "I'm feeling frustrated" written down right in front of me. And then I go, "Oh. I should not be playing right now. I'm on tilt." and I quit before I do any more damage to bankroll.

A little self-analysis goes a long way. Well maybe a lot of self-analysis goes a long way. Complacency with your game is death.

Grisgra
09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
How many tables do you play?

And re this:
[ QUOTE ]

I practice fairly decent game selection. 3 2+2ers and I usually leave. I dont go too far out of my way to find jucier games, but just make sure i'm not in a room with a bunch of 23/16s.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I play 20/40 I don't sit down at a table with two 2+2'ers, and they're all over the damn place. At 5/10 you should be able to find tables with no 2+2'ers, one at most. In other words, I disagree that you have decent table selection skills /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

donger
09-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Nice post, Rory. I'm going to try this..

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 02:34 PM
4 tables. I've tried 1 and 2 tabling for some time to see if I had more focus, but I just couldnt handle it. I got extremely bored, felt like my decisions were no different than normal, and frustrated that I was going through hands 1/4 or 1/2 the speed of normal.

The KQ hand where I had a gutshot and hit the turn - yeah im agreeing with the turn raise. Donkbets always make me paranoid though for some reason. I'll have days where I have no fear of them whatsoever and raise my midpair topkicker without fear, and some days where i'll flat call a top pair (like that hand). Not really sure why. It just throws off my flow and my response varies.

That KQ hand, I was looking through hands with that player around the same time. I had bought something like 4 or 5 free rivers in a row from him, and hit I think 3 of them. I sensed he was getting frustrated, and started throwing out more turn bets than normal when heads up with him. He responded by donking the turn every time he had a piece.

The call with KQ high is something i'll do maybe maybe once or twice a week. Everything that happened against that guy though made me think stone bluff.

As for table selection...maybe i'll start using my buddy list more... Or looking for jucier tables and joining the wait list while i'm playing 4. That seems like it'd work pretty well...

Grisgra
09-13-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4 tables. I've tried 1 and 2 tabling for some time to see if I had more focus, but I just couldnt handle it. I got extremely bored, felt like my decisions were no different than normal, and frustrated that I was going through hands 1/4 or 1/2 the speed of normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Er, sorry. But not really /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

The last time I saw a post by a 2-tabler complaining that he was running &lt;1BB/100 over a long stretch of time was around half past never.

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that 2 months ago, I was 12 tabling 40 hours a week. This is a big downgrade for me already.

*edit*
12 tabling 3/6 FH. not 6max :P

09-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm in the exact spot at you are. 60k hands and more or less breakeven player. my stats used to be 19/15/4 but I've loosened up and a bit less aggressive now. Only played about 5k hands so not sure if it has had any affect.

I searched for your nick and came up with this hand. I muck this hand pretty easily on the flop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: is with , .

Flop: (1.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Button checks.

River: (2.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 4.70 BB

(you are button with Ax5h)

I mean, you have 1 overcard and a really crappy flushdraw / r-r straight. Maybe tilt?

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM
A overcard (maybe 2 outs), gutshot straight, weak flush.

I dont see how that looks like tilt at all... Even looking over it now I think it looks pretty standard.

Donkbets inspire raises from me if i have alot of options in the hand, even if they are mediocre.

Is this a big mistake? Do i handle donkbets badly?

*edit*

The pot size seems really wrong...
I raised preflop didnt I? By the river it should have been...6:1 for me to call?

09-13-2005, 02:54 PM
as I said, I'm a breakeven player too. But I just know that I wouldt bother with this hand. maybe This is a leak i have? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tansoku
09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm sure you do this already but if not, I find it very useful:
After each session/day, go to the games tab in PT, get all, and sort by NET so your losers get listed most &gt; least.
Replay every losing hand with the pot odds pop-up displayed.
By sorting this way you can just hit the &gt; (upper left corner of the replayer) button to get the next hand in the list and go through all your losing hands in a row.
See if you actually had odds to call, if your opponents had odds, etc..you get the idea.
Next sort by NET again and do the same thing with your winners. Look for missed value bets/raises, chk-raise/vs lead etc..

I find it gives me a much better idea of how well I'm playing vs. running good/bad, and a lot of 'WTF was I thinking?!?'

09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
"pot odds pop-up displayed" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Grisgra
09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that 2 months ago, I was 12 tabling 40 hours a week. This is a big downgrade for me already.

*edit*
12 tabling 3/6 FH. not 6max :P

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is that you have absolutely zero experience getting reads on players or paying attention to hands you're not involved in, and you started at 5/10 SH without playing a bunch of hands at a lower limit first.

Well, when you put it that way . . . 4-table away!

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
did 15k hands of 3/6 6max first. And ran at 4BB/100
first 15k hands of 5/10 6max i ran at 3.somethingBB/100

So of course I thought I was a genius.

ChicagoTroy
09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
You aren't taking the steps necessary to learn shorthanded play. I have a fair number of hands against you IIRC (I'm at work now and don't have PT here), and I remember that you play a lot and make strange blinds plays.

Learning shorthanded play by starting out four-tabling at $5/10 SH is learning the very hard way. We all think we're different when it comes to that, we're not.

Also, a 3 day break is barely a break at all, IMO. It's a weekend. Is poker your job?

You should examine why you won't go down to two tables.

ChicagoTroy
09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
This exact same thing happenned to me, I won huge early on and got a God complex. Then I started getting shaky, then I hired a coach. I found I had to reduce tables to get out of making the same routine mistakes. Good luck.

kapw7
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3383209&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem, wheels, is that im beginning to believe that it isnt a downswing, but a fatal error on my part. The goal of the thread is to find the error...

[/ QUOTE ]

You played 62K hands in one month! Learn and become a winner 1st and then play even 100K if you can. But not the other way around

Grisgra
09-13-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did 15k hands of 3/6 6max first. And ran at 4BB/100
first 15k hands of 5/10 6max i ran at 3.somethingBB/100

So of course I thought I was a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

And hey, at that point you had good reason to think you could 4-table without losing any significant BB/100.

65k hands later . . . guess what?

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learning shorthanded play by starting out four-tabling at $5/10 SH is learning the very hard way. We all think we're different when it comes to that, we're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I say i started out learning by 4 tabling 5/10SH?

Way back (about 4 months ago) I took a few solid shots at shorthanded. Got in about 15k hands of randomly 1-3 tabling. Just learning things. I did well, but liked the income of 12tabling 3/6 better. Required almost no thought, I could watch tv, and very few swings.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, a 3 day break is barely a break at all, IMO. It's a weekend. Is poker your job?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 day break. Yes poker is my job.

[ QUOTE ]
You should examine why you won't go down to two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its because I quite simply get bored. I went 4 months making non stop decisions. 2 tables seems EXTREMELY slow to me.
Oddly enough, 1 table I can handle if its just for leisure. I generally try to strike up a conversation, sit around, it doesnt feel like work. More than 1 table and it becomes work. And in my head it is inefficient work if i'm not making as many decisions as I can.

Grisgra
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More than 1 table and it becomes work. And in my head it is inefficient work if i'm not making as many decisions as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood, but you need to start appreciating the value of watching what others do in hands you're not involved in, and using that information to your advantage. For instance, I am extremely interested in what donkbets tend to mean by my opponents. Especially at the lower limits, where they don't mix up their play, donkbets mean "Strong Hand!" ~100% of the time for some players, and "Weak Hand/Semibluff" ~100% of the time for other players. This is crucial information, and you should be looking to pick it up ASAP, whether you're in the hand with these guys or not.

rory
09-13-2005, 03:51 PM
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

ChicagoTroy
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its because I quite simply get bored. I went 4 months making non stop decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
which
[ QUOTE ]
Required almost no thought, I could watch tv, and very few swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not learning poker, it's maximizing short-term income. You can't pay attention to hands you aren't in and learn the changes you have to make your game. And you haven't.

2 tabling is boring. You have to wait for the next hand and pay attention to what the other players are doing. Over time, you pick up what their (alleged) thought patterns are and can extrapolate that to other players/situations with similar stats when you multi-table.

If you can't beat this game, you need to consider short term boring 2-tabling for your ongoing improvement as a player. It's the same in any job.

DCWGaming
09-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I didnt have the option to sacrifice income to play learning poker. I was breaking into real estate investment and had bought 2 fix-up houses. It cost money to fix them up. I was making very good money playing "short-term income" poker. And now that those are all done and rented out, I can leave my comfort zone and try to up my skill.

But I still cannot break the mindset that i've established. 4 months...or about 600 hours of 12 tabling and autopiloting doesnt exactly make it easy to go down to 2. I did have a pretty long break between my move from full handed to 6max. 2ish weeks. Which is probably what allowed me to go straight from a 13/7 tightie to a 20/15 right off the bat.

I dont know...would another 2 week vacation and then coming back to 2 tables be enough to reprogram myself? I've got plenty of money stacked up right now, so it wouldnt be a financial problem at all. I would feel guilty basically tossing away 3k worth of rakeback (assuming breakeven play), but if it really would be enough to bring me into a stronger game, I'd do it.

RunDownHouse
09-13-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its because I quite simply get bored. I went 4 months making non stop decisions. 2 tables seems EXTREMELY slow to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like you aren't thinking enough.