PDA

View Full Version : And the nominees for Biggest Over-Actor of All Time are...

youtalkfunny
09-13-2005, 04:48 AM
...Jack Klugman

...Richard Dreyfuss

...William Shatner

...(I'd say Al Pacino, but the thread would end. Any more?)

diebitter
09-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Jack Palance

gulebjorn
09-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Any chinese guy.

diebitter
09-13-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...Jack Klugman
...William Shatner

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair though, even overacting, the above guys are still very, very watchable and do bring something to the show. Dreyfuss, on the other hand, is good when he's acting properly (eg Stand By Me), and terrible when he's overacting.

codewarrior
09-13-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...(I'd say Tom Cruise , but the thread would end. Any more?)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Overdrive
09-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Phil Hellmuth Jr.

09-13-2005, 07:30 AM
the first that came to mind was Jim Carrey (don't hate me) but I love him so he gets a pass

After what he did in Ace Ventura, Mask and Liar Liar he can overact all he wants.

samjjones
09-13-2005, 09:29 AM
http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/jarjar/jarjar2.jpg

istewart
09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Pacino. Thread over. Come on.

09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Not me.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/gladiator/_group_photos/connie_nielsen14.jpg

istewart
09-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Whoever you are, you are RUINING the work of Commodus.

LetYouDown
09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Anyone from the movie Cube. Specifically, the black guy...and it's not even close.

durron597
09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

09-13-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you he sits uneasy upon his throne?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/gladiator/joaquin_phoenix/gladiator3.jpg

kerssens
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Easily Robin Williams. And the award for most annoying goes to Robin Williams. And the award for most likely to be stabbed by me goes to Robin Williams.

swede123
09-13-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the first that came to mind was Jim Carrey (don't hate me) but I love him so he gets a pass

After what he did in Ace Ventura, Mask and Liar Liar he can overact all he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this. Sure, he overacted in his early comedy movies, where all the roles were basically offshoots of his Living Colors characters.

Based on his more recent work, like the Majestic or Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind, I'd say he's actually a very understated actor, which I find awesome.

I agree with these honors going to Al Pacino. Maybe Joe Pesci deserves recognition in this area as well.

Swede

JoshuaD
09-13-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this. Sure, he overacted in his early comedy movies, where all the roles were basically offshoots of his Living Colors characters.

Based on his more recent work, like the Majestic or Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind, I'd say he's actually a very understated actor, which I find awesome.

I agree with these honors going to Al Pacino. Maybe Joe Pesci deserves recognition in this area as well.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

He overacted the crap out of his role in The Majestic.

rusellmj
09-13-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe Joe Pesci deserves recognition in this area as well.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the Joe Pesci that was in Raging Bull or Good Fellas. If you're talking about his comedic work like Home Alone, aren't the prat falls and goofy expressions all part of the performance? I mean those roles don't lend themselves to subtlety.

imported_The Vibesman
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Well, without Pacino to pick on...

I have to go with Foghorn Leghorn. The constant swagger, the ah-say, ah-say's, the smug asides to the audience, the southern accent that's obviously fake. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't even that rooster's real voice.

woodguy
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2004/10/team_america.jpg

Dominic
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have to go with Foghorn Leghorn. The constant swagger, the ah-say, ah-say's, the smug asides to the audience, the southern accent that's obviously fake. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't even that rooster's real voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought he was a little too "Tennessee Williams," if you catch my drift.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/DomDab/judyandfog.gif

Fog with his "beard," Judy Jetson, at an afterparty for the Cartoon Network Awards.

Toro
09-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Caveat. I haven't actually seen him in a film. I'm basing this on his behavior at the Oscars.

Roberto Benigni

lapoker17
09-13-2005, 11:01 AM
correct on all counts. what an overrated jackass.

jba
09-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Keanu.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keanu.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be able to actually act first, before you're accused of over-acting.

samjjones
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
I probably appreciate gimmick accounts as much as anybody else here, but this account is HORRIBLE and needs to be banned. Commodus is in the PANTHEON of gimmick accounts, and no attempt to besmirch it should be allowed to happen.

jkkkk
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone from the movie Cube. Specifically, the black guy...and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Worth?

astroglide
09-13-2005, 11:31 AM
joe mantegna is the first one that comes to mind

LetYouDown
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even Worth?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, although he was bad too. If ever I need a laugh at awful over-acting, that's the film. Interesting concept though.

KaneKungFu123
09-13-2005, 11:42 AM
jim carry is better then pacino? congrats on being the first person over 12 to come to that conclustion!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

09-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I think Richard Dreyfuss' over acting works in comedies. "Look at What about Bob?" and "Let it Ride" - Dreyfuss at his best. But in dramatic scenes, not so much.

Definitely agree on Shatner.

My vote is for Andy Garcia, but I think he is just mimicing Al Pacino when he acts.

swede123
09-13-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jim carry is better then pacino? congrats on being the first person over 12 to come to that conclustion!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly my point was that Jim Carrey is a better actor than Al Pacino. You, sir are a brilliant interpreter of posts.

Swede

Amid Cent
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Jason Lee. They keep putting him in good movies and he keeps trying to ruin them. I'd rather pluck my own eyeballs out than watch his new sitcom.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
David Hasselhoff. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

samjjones
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jason Lee. They keep putting him in good movies and he keeps trying to ruin them. I'd rather pluck my own eyeballs out than watch his new sitcom.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please name three "good" movies that he was in and ruined by himself.

Toro
09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he was so good in House of Games.

samjjones
09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also understated in Searching for Bobby Fischer.

beernutz
09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pacino. Thread over. Come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I love the guy but is there really a contest here? Especially since I just watched Heat again last night.

Tailgunner
09-13-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.macaulay-culkin.com/images/top_logo.gif

Wes ManTooth
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
http://www.trulybadfilms.com/blog/archives/chips%20w%20baldwin.jpg

Rduke55
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Jack Klugman

...Richard Dreyfuss

...William Shatner

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title the first name that popped in my head was Pacino.
Thread over. HOOOAAHHHH!

09-13-2005, 01:04 PM
hey I like Alec Baldwin!

I think the others were correct when they nominated Robin Williams. He's god awful.

kevyk
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Nicholas Cage.

andyfox
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Very good in Bugsy too.

He grew up, I think, with Mamet, so his acting style has certain Mametisms in it even when he's not in a Mamet vehicle. I thought he was great in Mamet's Homicide too. Even better than he was in House of Games.

On another note, I sat next to him at a concert last week. Very nice guy.

astroglide
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHAHHHHA

anybody watch that movie recently by the way? i bought the dvd a few months ago because i remembered it being some inspirational, amazing movie when i saw it in my early teens. it was terrible.

ThaSaltCracka
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Kirk Cameron...think about it.

andyfox
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Al Pacino and Bette Davis.

09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Kirk Cameron??

TheCroShow
09-13-2005, 01:17 PM
oops broken link

http://www.geocities.com/chao_xing/mlil/mlil56.jpg

Broken Glass Can
09-13-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey I like Alec Baldwin!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he acting when he promised to leave the country? If so, then yes, he is very good at it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey I like Alec Baldwin!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he acting when he promised to leave the country? If so, then yes, he is very good at it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oops /images/graemlins/frown.gif forgot about that. Damn. What a fool.

TheMainEvent
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I haven't seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana!"
"Joe Montana was a quarterback you idiot..."
"I said...Joe Mantegna..."

Amid Cent
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chasing Amy and Almost Famous come to mind immediately. He was equally horrible in Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but not enough to ruin the entire movie (just the scenes he was in).

sfer
09-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Norma Desmond

wayabvpar
09-13-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oops broken link

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god, Lillard is horrible.

Bill Paxton hasn't been mentioned yet.

scott8
09-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Have you seen Con Air?

Any scene with Nicholas Cage calling his wife hummingbird is priceless.

And he is also the reason why National Treasure should be a must see for everyone.

TheCroShow
09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen Con Air?

Any scene with Nicholas Cage calling his wife hummingbird is priceless.

And he is also the reason why National Treasure should be a must see for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha wow, i just had that image and heard him say it in my head...that's hilarious man, thanks for the laugh

TRBNGR
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I can't believe no ones mentioned joe don baker yet. Mitchell!!!

SomethingClever
09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.goanddomichigan.com/images/20041111/8712_512.jpg

Thread over.

2planka
09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Book 'im, Danno.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/Jack_Lord.jpg

samjjones
09-13-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chasing Amy and Almost Famous come to mind immediately. He was equally horrible in Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but not enough to ruin the entire movie (just the scenes he was in).

[/ QUOTE ]'
Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back were not good movies, and both had NUMEROUS problems other than Lee in it. Yes, Lee was atrocious in Chasing Amy and Almost Famous, otherwise solid movies. I will give you those two...

ThaSaltCracka
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
the better question in regards to Buscey(sp) is that is he really acting? Think about it.

B Dids
09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oops broken link

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god, Lillard is horrible.

Bill Paxton hasn't been mentioned yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

SLC Punk is a great movie and he is great in it. I refuse to acknowledge the rest of his career.

Dominic
09-13-2005, 06:56 PM
...Rod Steiger yet?

He was the KING of scenery chewing.

smb394
09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Absolutely Nicholas Cage. Terrible.

Sponger15SB
09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was horrible in Bruce Almighty.

swede123
09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
How about Jack Nicholson? He's not in Pacino's class of overacting but sometimes he gets a bit carried away.

Swede

The Ocho
09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
charlton heston, maybe?

also, more recently, Cato's acting from HBO's Rome is pretty offensive.

Reef
09-13-2005, 07:19 PM
that younger guy in "Saw"

rusty JEDI
09-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Almost every CSI actor.

rJ

stanky
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Anybody see Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/1stanky/MommieBW.jpg

NO WIRE COAT HANGERS EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Victor
09-13-2005, 09:25 PM
all italian soccer players.

and ginobili.

DavidC
09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Give me Shatner or give me death!

fsuplayer
10-01-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

winner.

he is awful. cary elwes or something like that i think.

djoyce003
10-01-2005, 11:55 AM
jim carey.

newfant
10-01-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly my point was that Jim Carrey is a better actor than Al Pacino. You, sir are a brilliant interpreter of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

While we're on the topic of misinterpreting posts ...

Justin A
10-01-2005, 01:47 PM
This Guy:

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/ernest.jpg

ptmusic
10-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Stallone, whenever he gets into one of his emotive moments (usually near the end of a movie), e.g. this classic exchange at the end of Rambo, First Blood Part 2. Picture his lower lip drooping to one side as Stallone attempts to cry his words out:

Trautman: You can't keep running John. Your free now, go back with us.
Rambo: Back to what? My friends died here, part of me died here.
Trautman: The war, everything that happened here may be wrong, but dammit don't hate your country for it.
Rambo: Hate? I'd die for it.
Trautman: Then what is it you want?
Rambo: I want... what they want... and every other guy who came over here and spilt his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!

-ptmusic

Transference
10-01-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Almost every CSI actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

With David Caruso by far taking the cake. I had this show on as background noise one night and couldnt stand it after 5 minutes. Definately cringe worthy.

jakethebake
10-01-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Almost every CSI actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

With David Caruso by far taking the cake. I had this show on as background noise one night and couldnt stand it after 5 minutes. Definately cringe worthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He really is just bad.

jakethebake
10-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Olivier?

Blarg
10-01-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe Joe Pesci deserves recognition in this area as well.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the Joe Pesci that was in Raging Bull or Good Fellas. If you're talking about his comedic work like Home Alone, aren't the prat falls and goofy expressions all part of the performance? I mean those roles don't lend themselves to subtlety.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Blarg
10-01-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keanu.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be able to actually act first, before you're accused of over-acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to convince me he was even living before you convinced me he was acting, and then you still haven't gotten to overacting.

Blarg
10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He was fine there.

Blarg
10-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Where was Jack Klugman over-acting? He was always liked because of his everyman kind of schtick.

For an everyman(or a bit uglier) who overacts, I'd nominate Dennis Frantz. He often lays on the schtick pretty thick, and seems like a caricature of himself.

Gotta give props to Pacino on overacting; he's been doing it for 20 years now.

Someone mentioned Jim Carrey -- I think he's got to be the undisputed winner. His whole style from the beginning has been over the top, and not always in a good or aware way, for sure.

But my sentimental favorite is Bruce Campbell, hero of the Evil Dead movies.

William Shatner is mind-bogglingly bad. The funny thing is, he didn't start out that way. I saw him on an old Outer Limits episode, and he didn't seem to be lunging for the cheese as often as he did in Star Trek days.

Robin Williams' whole act is overacting, but I separate that from his dramatic acting. He has done very good dramatic acting in Seize the Day and in Good Will Hunting, at least.

theben
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
over actor = ?

im ignorant

Duke
10-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure if I said "Big Bird" someone on this forum would rant for a paragraph in agreement.

~D

chesspain
10-01-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, although I'ld give an honorable mention to Gene Hackman--although he sounds quite understated in his voiceover for Lowe's new TV commercial.

TheCroShow
10-01-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

winner.

he is awful. cary elwes or something like that i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was the director of the movie saw, threw himself in the movie

BaggyAnt
10-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Jack Nicholson or Dennis Hopper

private joker
10-01-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cary elwes

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't watch "Saw" but I liked Elwes in "The Princess Bride." I don't think he overacted in that at all. His "To the pain" speech was pretty deadpan.

Slacker13
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Dustin Hoffman. He could also fall into shittiest actor who over acts catagory.

rusellmj
10-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I have a hard time with Mel Gibson. His aacting in the Lethal Weapon movies were too over the top for me. Same goes for Braveheart. I did enjoy Payback however.

TheHip41
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keanu.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duuuude. No way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheBlueMonster
10-01-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say Al Pacino

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
10-01-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time with Mel Gibson. His aacting in the Lethal Weapon movies were too over the top for me. Same goes for Braveheart. I did enjoy Payback however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of that is the writing. Those movies are hugely over-written.

youtalkfunny
12-04-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where was Jack Klugman over-acting? He was always liked because of his everyman kind of schtick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry it took me two months to respond. I never saw this post.

Just like you never saw "Quincy", apparently. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
12-04-2005, 04:01 AM
You're right, I was never a fan of that show.

craig r
12-04-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mallrats was a great movie and there is no way it would have been as funny without him in it.

craig

craig r
12-04-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jack Nicholson or Dennis Hopper

[/ QUOTE ]

Dennis Hopper cannot act very well at all. Hence, he also can't overact. But, unlike Keanu Reeves, he has some great scenes/movies. In Blue Velvet, he was awesome (of course, over acting is a big thing in all Lynch movies except for Elephant Man). The Christopher Walken scene in True Romance is great as well. Even though Speed sucked, Dennis Hopper almost made it a decent movie.

craig

craig r
12-04-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely Nicholas Cage. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except in Wild At Heart. But, like I mentioned one post below this, overacting is essenial for Lynch movies.

craig