PDA

View Full Version : i smoke too much

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 02:45 AM
i realized today that i am quickly approaching 1.5 packs of cigarettes a day.

i had actuallly stopped for a while, but recent events within the family set me off, along with some job related mess, which im finally out of. now all thats left is the fact that stressed the [censored] out all the time.

sorry this is lame, but i had to tell someone.

OOT is like a confessional sometimes.

Clarkmeister
09-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Life don't get no less stressful. The time to decide is now.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 02:47 AM
yah... some friends of mine used those quest cigarette's to aid them in their quitting... but i always hear cold turkey is thebest.

but they've been smoke free for quite some time now.

iMsoLucky0
09-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Well your name is smokingrobot.

Duh

unreal_nh
09-13-2005, 03:16 AM
do you really want to QUIT? or just smoke less? just gradually slow down on how much you smoke in a day like maybe 1 or 2 less cigarettes a day for every 2 weeks or a month..?

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
yah, all part of the quadruple entendres

ok, so maybe only double, but i'm working on figuring out 2 more ways for it to work as well.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 11:08 AM
yah my gf asks me if i really want to quit as well.

i guess i dont, but i efinately have to cut back on smoke/day.

i figure once some of this [censored] storm passes me by things will settle down and return to normal again.

aiight, i'll stop bumping this thread back up, its pretty weak anyway. EDIT: i mean, apologies for starting a crappy thread.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Why wouldn't you want to quit? Do you think it looks cool? Believe me, it doesn't.

tonypaladino
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you want to quit? Do you think it looks cool? Believe me, it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't? What about Luv2Drive's old avatar?

Soul Daddy
09-13-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you want to quit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh, because nicotine is awesome.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the guy in the avatar is pretty cool.

pearljam
09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the guy in the avatar is pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I whole heartedly disagree.

evil_twin
09-13-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you want to quit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh, because nicotine is horrendously addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

McGahee
09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Check out "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" - book by Allan Carr. Some of it is slightly hypocrictial, and you have to get over the inevitable smug "how can a gay book make me quit?" attitude that every smoker has at first, but I've found much of it to be a real eye-opening dose of reality that slaps all of your lame excuses (re: why you smoke) in the face. Kinda therapeutic. So far so good for me after 2 weeks.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it looks cool?

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, thats exactly the reason.

what kind of jackass response is this?

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:19 PM
really? i'll check it out.

i want to say its more than just the addiction that prevents me from quitting though. im not quite sure what, i think i just enjoy smoking.

its really the only socially excepted form of suicide (slow, long and drawn out yes) out there.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I can't think of any other reason why someone would "want" to smoke, other than if he/she thinks it looks cool. I can understand someone being addicted and not being able to stop, but you said that you don't actually want to stop. I guess the yellow teeth, yellow fingers, diminshed lung capacity, smelly clothes, smelly car, smelly apartment, increased chance of lung cancer, throat cancer, and mouth cancer aren't enough of a deterrent for you.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
i actually dont smoke in my house. and i wasnt smoking in my car for a while after i bought it.

but you forgot dark/discolored gums.

flatline
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I can't think of any other reason why someone would "want" to smoke, other than if he/she thinks it looks cool. I can understand someone being addicted and not being able to stop, but you said that you don't actually want to stop. I guess the yellow teeth, yellow fingers, diminshed lung capacity, smelly clothes, smelly car, smelly apartment, increased chance of lung cancer, throat cancer, and mouth cancer aren't enough of a deterrent for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter what any of you squares say, smoking looks cool. Unless you are old, then it doesn't look cool anymore.

imported_The Vibesman
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite all of this, smoking is actually a very pleasurable habit.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:51 PM
definately, just ask bogey. he'd agree with that too.
and we all know he's the man.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i actually dont smoke in my house. and i wasnt smoking in my car for a while after i bought it.

but you forgot dark/discolored gums.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. Oh, and smelly breath...can't forget that.

I don't mean to rag on you, I just don't understand how people in this day and age can "want" to smoke, knowing all of the serious health risks that you are needlessly exposing yourself (and those around you) to. Being addicted is one thing, but actually wanting to smoke is another. Teenagers smoke because they want to look cool and want to fit in. However, once they become adults, most continue to smoke only because they're addicted and don't have the willpower to shake the habit.

Your statement that you don't actually want to quit is not the norm. From what I've noticed, most smokers would love to be able to quit, they just haven't been able to because the addiction is so strong.

imported_The Vibesman
09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definately, just ask bogey. he'd agree with that too.
and we all know he's the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, those that think smoking doesn't look cool should really take a look at Bogart and Bacall.

course, Bogey died of cancer. But that's neither here nor there...

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:58 PM
its weird because the part that recognizes all the pitfalls you mentioned wants to quit. but then another part still wants to enjoy that cigarette.. i feel like i could see myself cutting back, but have trouble envisioning giving it up forever.

picking up cigarettes was clearly not the best idea.

dont worry about ragging, im just on edge lately.

i feel like if i was in HS or maybe younnger when the truth ad campaigns started, i might have decided against it. but instead i went the other route.

maybe it merely is the addiction that keeps me from seeing myself sand cigarette's. going to bar will never be the same.

(oh and causing me to make statements like that last one too)

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 03:59 PM
the big sleep is one of my favorites.

ChipWrecked
09-13-2005, 04:02 PM
My answer to every 'I want to quit smoking' thread I see in OOT:

Better living through chemistry. (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=bupropion+smoking)

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
i thought about prescription meds, but after experiencing the pitfalls of add/adhd medication, i have pretty much shyed away from drugs related to the brain/chemistry in the brain.

actually, this is patently false statement because if someone were to ask if would be down to do shrooms some weekend, i would say yes.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I smoked in High School, too. Mostly because my friends all smoked, and I liked hanging out in the smoking area between classes. What got me to quit was when I was playing floor hockey one day, and we had just enough players to field the team, but no extra so that people could rotate on and off. I started coughing like a madman at some point during the game, and all I could taste was tar and stale cigarettes coming up from my lungs. I felt so wretched and associated the cigarettes with the wretchedness, so the mere thought of smoking a cigarette made me feel nauseous for a long time afterwards. I went through a little withdrawal, but my desire *not* to smoke was greater than my desire to get my nicotine fix.

My friends that I used to smoke with all still smoke to this day. They've all tried to quit, but haven't been able to do it. They smoke because they need to, not because they really enjoy it (with some exceptions). I'm sure that at least one of them will eventually have serious health problems as a result. I'm just thankful that I managed to quit while I was young and had only smoked for a year or so, and not after having smoked for 10 years +.

Soul Daddy
09-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Have you ever been addicted to anything? There is no distinct line between satisfying the addiction and satisfying your desire. They are one and the same. You enjoy it because you are addicted, it's that simple.

Those that "want" to smoke are just in denial about why they do.

imported_The Vibesman
09-13-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the big sleep is one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too, but I'm also a fan of the novel by Raymond Chandler. My favorite Bogart flick of all time tho is the Desperate Hours, it's fun to watch him play a bad guy. But I like him in almost anything.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 04:16 PM
the smoking associated w/ nausea is what got a friend of mine to quit to.

i think they have those "hypnosis" things to do that to you out there, although im not sure i buy into that.

im at about 7 yrs now i guess. apparently if you quit after 5, your lungs can eventually get back to full capacity.

i agree, it is stupid, and im a moran for starting.

CCass
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...course, Bogey died of cancer. But that's neither here nor there...

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta die of something. Remember, it is better to look good, than to feel good.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been addicted to anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, gambling to a degree, and it is much the same as having a chemical dependency.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no distinct line between satisfying the addiction and satisfying your desire. They are one and the same. You enjoy it because you are addicted, it's that simple.

Those that "want" to smoke are just in denial about why they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. Subconciously or conciously, saying "I enjoy smoking and don't want to quit" allows a person to continue avoiding going through the pain of withdrawal and to continue feeding the addiction. And feeding the addiction is pleasurable, in only that you'd feel like crap when you don't feed the addiction.

On a related note, one of the most ignorant women I've ever met in my life was a friend's stepmother. She'd argue and argue that smoking was not bad for your health, that it was all propaganda. She didn't deny that people die of lung cancer, and that smoking might increase your chances of contracting lung cancer, but her argument was most lung cancers were caused from all the other carcinogens in the air, and not from smoking alone. It was pointless to argue with her -- she was convinced that if you are going to get lung cancer, you are going to get it regardless of whether you are smoking or not. Science be damned.

09-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Switch cigarettes for something else - like crack. Once you start smoking crack, you wont even think about the cigarettes. Plus, if you are inclined to, you can lose a lot of weight on the crack-diet.

09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I think it looks pathetic. Walk around NYC in the winter when its 15 degrees and you see office workers huddled outside smoking. Glad I don't smoke cigarettes

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 05:24 PM
trophy wife?

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 05:26 PM
i acutally dont need to lose weight, so i'll pass on the crack yo.

HopeydaFish
09-13-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
trophy wife?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all, actually. She was pretty rough-looking. A lifetime of chain smoking plays havoc with a person's appearance. Whether or not she was attractive when my friend's father first met her is another story, but she definitely hadn't aged well when I met her.

touchfaith
09-13-2005, 10:02 PM
pack and a half a day is a lot. stop smoking indoors.

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 11:16 PM
the old office i worked in, the owner smoked and so did all the staff (small office), so it kinda went down hill from there. but i'm outta there now. now i just have to cut back.

i think i'll go have a cigarette while i ponder this one.