PDA

View Full Version : ($6) - Limit Player learning NL STT & MTT - Right play here?

DawnToDusk
09-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Okay. I am a big time limit player and understand that game in and out, and do well. But I am really interested in playing STT and MTT. I went out and invested in Harrington on Hold'em: Volume I & II about a week ago and got through my first read though yesterday. Imma start reading it agian next week, but need a lil break.

In the mean time I have been applying some of the new knowledge I gained to small STT. I was playing this one STT and was running really well. My image was that of a tight player in the beginning and then when it got down to 5 players it was one that was trying to steal a lot of pots. I had a great feel for the table and some knowledge of the players. When it got heads up with me and this other guy, he was calling my raises OOP with really marginal hands.

In my final hand I raised on the button as I had position as well as a decent hand (Right? It was heads up.) When I saw the flop I knew I was committed to the end, but given the way he plays marginal hands and has been doing a lil sucking out if possible (he has also started to look me up as opposed to folding most the hands), should I of went all in on the flop? I wanted to get more money in the pot and bet what I thought would of given any possible hand he had the improper odds to draw out.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t5270)
Hero (t2730)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t1650) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t900</font>, BB calls t900.

Turn: (t3450) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t930</font>, Hero calls [t1080] .

River: (t4380) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4380

Freudian
09-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t5270)
Hero (t2730)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero goes all-in (t2730)

DawnToDusk
09-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Why preflop. The guy isn't especially good. In like the 20-30 hand session that was heads up he called me only. There was only one time he reraised me, and that was when he had a phenominal hand. He is either folding or just flat calling me.

So why go all in? It seems I can out play him. I have position. I also have a hand, while not the strongest, beats a lot of random hands out there.

Pete H
09-13-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So why go all in? It seems I can out play him. I have position. I also have a hand, while not the strongest, beats a lot of random hands out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can outplay him, why was this the last hand?

What's your plan when you don't hit your K and villain pushes?

You're investing almost two thirds of your stack for that preflop raise. Most of the time you don't hit anything.

Push preflop.

[ QUOTE ]

Why preflop. The guy isn't especially good. In like the 20-30 hand session that was heads up he called me only. There was only one time he reraised me, and that was when he had a phenominal hand. He is either folding or just flat calling me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually my HU session against this kind of player would last max 10 hands.
I'm pretty sure this player would fold too much, so I'd push most of my SB and also from BB when he calls.

NP: Nihilist - Face Of Evil

DawnToDusk
09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
The blinds were getting up there. I believe they were at 300/600. I would double check, but I knew my stack was dwindling if I didn't make a move soon.

Since thats the case, would you just push with any reasonable hand? And if so, what would you consider reasonable in this case? Remember that he is folding or calling most of his hands preflop in this HU match. He only reraised me once and that was with a monster hand.

Pete H
09-14-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since thats the case, would you just push with any reasonable hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Rule of thumb is to push when you have 10 BB's or less. HU I'll usually push preflop even if I have 12-13 BB's.

Blinds are too big compared to stack sizes to play any poker.

[ QUOTE ]

And if so, what would you consider reasonable in this case?

[/ QUOTE ]

If my opponent is weak, I'm pushing any two when it gets HU. If he keeps folding, I might fold a weak hand (83, 74, etc.) after few pushes to keep my FE higher.

At some point he of course calls, but I might have a chip lead at the time and even if he has two higher cards I'll win the hand at least every third time.

NP: Susperia - Illusions Of Evil