PDA

View Full Version : Commerce 40/80 - General Observations (X-Post from MHL)

BoxTree
09-13-2005, 01:04 AM
Still a few months away but the Commerce 40 is definitely on the horizon.

Things I've noticed:

+ The games are MUCH more aggressive than they are at the 20.

+ Table selection seems to play a more important role than it does at the 20.

That said, I'm honestly not quite sure how to deal with the extra aggression at the 40.

Here's an example hand:

Three limpers, Hero is on the button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero raises. Blinds fold.

Flop (4 players, 9 sb): A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bet, Raise, Fold, Hero...?

More often than one would expect, Hero actually has the best hand here and his reverse implied odds are not that terrible. But it's nearly impossible to tell if that's the case here or in any given hand that's similar to this example.

So, what's the best way to proceed? Stick it out with these types of hands and protect your hand as you would ordinarily do? (In this case, I'd cold-call the flop and opt for a turn-raise.)

Is that the way to deal with highly aggressive (but not loose-aggressive stupidity) games? Be stubborn, increase your variance, and increase your long term win rate?

Also, I'd say no less than 60% of pots are raised preflop. How does this affect your starting conditions? Should some Axs and suited connectors be cut out of your game?

After speaking with a few 20/40 regulars who have dabbled in the 40 game, they all pretty much say the same thing: The 40 game does offer a higher profit/hour, but it's not nearly twice as much as the 20 game. And the variance is much worse.

All things considered, it sounds like the 40 game is worth it. It's just going to be a little messier and I'll probably need a higher bankroll than 300 BB to be completely comfortable.

Thoughts?

csuf_gambler
09-13-2005, 02:23 AM
ABC can't win at 40/80?